Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Jay Ashman

lacrosse is a great game, really started to appreciate it when I moved to long island... but now that I will be Ohio haha
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Dave Coughlin

I enjoyed tossing the ball around, Jay; however, I'm not sure I've got the availability to take up a new sport. Maybe later....

6/26/2010 @FD

Shot Put tosses, about 10 or so all around 36 feet

Sled Pulls with crew, I did about 6-7 (150-400#)

Some sprints and running with various different weighted implements

6/27/2010 @ FD Training Center

warmup-500m row in 2mins, cfwu 1x10

Squat
135*5, 135*5, 2015*5, 237*5, 270*6

Assistance-Leg Extension 130# 4*8

Bench Press
45*5, 135*5, 185*3, 217*3, 247*8

Assistance 3*10 pushups, 3*10 pullups

*Fun day at FD on Saturday, as I got the whole crew to join in the fun of throwing, sprinting, and sled craziness. Of course, we ended up running all night long on BS calls. Monday was my first squat day, and my second BP workout, so I wanted to try to bang them both out because of logistic issues. Of course, right before I leave for the gym, I tweak my back HARD trying to dump all the water out of our plastic white-trash kiddie pool I was tight during the squat portion, but I really felt it during the final max rep set....of course.
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Dave Coughlin

6/30/2010 @WW

CFWU 1x10, plus some light KB fun

Shoulder Press-First day of last hard cycle of 5/3/1

45*8, 135*5, 155*3, 170*5

Assistance work
-Push Press 135#, 3*8
-Bar dip, 3*15

Treadmill Hill Sprints
-4*100m, about 2min RI
-15% incline, 8.6mph (6:58/ mile pace)

*This is going to be a tough week, as the end of my first 5/3/1 cycle has begun. I ate pretty well yesterday in anticipation of today; unfortunately, the natives were quite restless last night at work, and I wasn't very well-rested. Rest is going to be a big issue with 5/3/1, and I'll have to tweak my programming accordingly for the next cycle-after I get back from the beach The last set got pretty heavy pretty fast, but I'm not sure if I've ever done more than 165# for 5 prior to today, so that's OK I guess. I like adding the PPs into my assistance work, as well. The treadmill hill sprints are from Jay Ashman, thanks a lot-they were horrible, but they are something I need to work into my stuff. I'll be on a bit of a time crunch for the rest of the week...I need to DL tomorrow, and try to get a squat and bench day in before we leave on saturday. I also want to attempt either Tillman or Kalsu for my birthday workout on Saturday morning...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Derek Simonds

Happy early birthday. Mine is at the end of July and I have been planning on it being a birthday month so might as well start mine with yours...

Is Tilman and Kalsu hero WOD's? I looked in the crossfit FAQ and did a quick google search but my google fu is not working so well.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
Jay Ashman

Tillman and Kalsu are CF Football hero workouts.

and treadmill hill sprints are a nice alternative for when you don't have a hill handy
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Dave Coughlin

Derek-A birthday month? Genius! My nutrition has been awful since May, hopefully I can clean it up after the holiday weekend...BTW here are the two CFFB WODs I was referring to:

Kalsu
Complete 5 burpees and perform max rep 135 lbs thrusters on the minute.
The goal is to complete 100 total thrusters.
*At the beginning of every minute perform 5 burpees, for the rest of the minute perform as many thrusters as you can during that minute. At the beginning of the next minute perform 5 burpees and then max rep thrusters and so on until you reach 100 total thrusters. Post the total number of minutes it took to reach 100 thrusters.

Tillman
7 Rounds for time(rest :45 seconds between rounds)
7 Deadlifts 315 lbs
1 Full Gasser(Starting on one sideline of a football field an athlete will sprint across the field to the opposite sideline, turn and sprint back to the sideline, plant and sprint to the sideline, plant and sprint back to the sideline-212 yds)
15 Pull Ups

7/1/2010 @WW

CFWU 1*10, plus some 1 poos KB snatches, hi pulls, etc

Deadlift (75%/85%/95%)

115*5, 205*5, 310*5, 350*3, 395*8

Assistance lifts

Pronated Grip pullups-3*10 (DH first two sets, kip/BFK last set)
Modified GHD situps-3*15

*Pretty happy with my first cycle of DLs and SPs, although the logistical problem of lacking a squat rack and bench are hurting me. I'll probably buy another bar to leave at home, and maybe another pair of 45# plates off craigslist. The 5/3 sets felt pretty good and strong, so I was going to try to aim for a best case scenario of 395*10. I hit a huge wall halfway up on #7, though. The last rep was a tough one, but I was happy with eight reps for my first cycle. I could probably get a couple more, but there would be quite a bite of forward-arching back.BTW what is the 5/3/1 stance on reps with sloppy form? Either way, I'd prefer to be conservative when it concerns my back, so I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully, I can try to get up an hour early, and see if I can get in my squats and bench tomorrow morning.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #17
Dave Coughlin

7/2-7/4: Enjoyed a quality three-day weekend for holiday/brithday

7/5/2010 on shift @FD

Minimal warmup

Back Squat (70%/80%/90%)
45*5, 135*5, 135*5, 225*3, 255*3, 285*8

Bench Press (75%/85%/95%)
45*5, 135*5, 135*5, 205*5, 230*3, 255*8

No Assistance lifts

5 rounds of 10 pushups/10 squats...not very fast, but deep ROM

*Long day at work, but I still managed to sneak in some BS and BPs. Spent all weekend at beach with family, got up around 4am to go to FD, had a huge auto accident where we cut out four people, and then got to sleep most of the night. While I didn't get to take on a birthday WOD, I'm going to try to sneak it in right before I start my deload. If I can get to a squat rack tomorrow, then Ill do my last set of squats to finish up the 5/3/1 work cycle; however, if I can't then I'll punish myself accordingly. So far, it seems like my squat is the furthest behind, most likely due to me not squatting enough. Lame.
**The max rep sets are starting to feel better, and I seem to be more confident doing them. I'm really liking this 5/3/1, but I need to start integrating more conditioning work. Maybe if I started to do multiple workout days
Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Dave Coughlin

Deload week, plus some rowing

7/6/2010 @WW

CFWU 1x10, plus some light KB work

Deadlift-185#, 3*5
Shoulder Press-95#, 3*5

C2 500m-1.40.1, 1:41.4, 1:44.7

7/9/2010 @WW

Squat-165#, 3*5
Floor Press-145#, 3*5

C2 2000m-7:41 with a slight negative split

*Deload week-bleh. I am itching to get into my second 5/3/1 cycle. I'll try to get some CF/metcon days in, as well. The rows were pretty brutal, and nothing too impressive. Th3 500m TTs were intended to be high effort, but withing about :05 of each other....mission accomplished on both fronts. The 2K was an exercise in suckitude, and I just tried to improve slightly on each 500m.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
Dave Coughlin

7/11/2010@FD

Warmup-squats, SDHPs, PPs, SPs, SJs, HPCs all with 45#oly bar

Shoulder Press-Day 1/Cycle 2 of 5/3/1
45*5, 45*5, 120*5, 140*5, 160*10
(day1 of last cycle was 155x9)

Assistance Work
Bar Dips-4*12

Grace-30reps 135# G2OH-3:23

*Pretty happy with my first day of new 5/3/1 cycle, all in all. I may have to make tomorrow my squat day, if I am able to score some overtime. The first two work sets seemed a bit harder than I was expecting, and the max rep set had me hitting a wall at rep #s 5&10 (a huge wall @#10). THe dips felt strong and deep, and I thought I was going to go sub3 for Grace until my fatigued shoulders gave out. I got twelve reps in my first minute, and then really lost my pace. The last five reps were fairly quick, pretty much all reps were PC to PP/PJ. Pretty sure there's a 2:45ish Grace in me right now if I'm fresh, even at 240ish lbs. I was wondering how my metcon has been going, but I am pleasantly surprised so far...but not impressed. I was looking to do some sled pushes/pulls, but I had to move them to another day with the possibility of squats tomorrow.
**Now that our 6m/old has started to sleep through the night, I will be able to start getting my diet a little more under control-heard that one before:rofl:
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
Dave Coughlin

7/12/2010 @FD-OVERTIME

cfwu 1x10

Back Squat
45*6, 135*5, 210*5, 240*5, 275*12
(last set of previous cycle was 270*6)

Assistance work
Front Squat-185# 3*5

Treadmill Hill Sprints
15% incline and 10mph (6:00/mile pace)
3x :15 sprint w/:45 RI
3x :10 sprint w/:50 RI

*A pretty good day, and my legs are beat. My legs were somewhat sore all day, without any particularly good reason. The first two work sets were surprisingly tiring, so I was hoping for a max rep set of 8...10 at the best. I hit walls on 5, 8, and of course 12. Still trying to teabag the ground on each rep, and I still think I'm accomplishing that for the most part. I haven't done FS in a while, and I figure I should start adding them for Highland Games prep, which explains why I didn't go higher on the weight. Treadmill hill sprints-boo. Very tough, but I managed to keep my feet quick throughout. All in all, another day where I am quite pleased with my efforts...