Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #21
Derek Simonds

Nice squat work and overtime doesn't hurt either I am sure.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Dave Coughlin

Derek-Thanks, man. Overtime is always welcome in the Coughlin house; well, maybe not the additional 24hrs away from the family, but the $$ is nice.

7/15/2010@ WW

cfwu 1x10

Row 5k-20:20 :shrug:

Toes2Bar 4x5
Situps 3x15

*Irritating day today. Not getting OT today threw me for a loop, although the 4hr nap I took this afternoon helped reset me. I was planning on going to the nearby Cty fitness center today and knocking out DLs; however, the Oly bars are no longer there! I was going to do Helen, but today was apparently old fattie day on the treadmills. I wanted to do something in the 20min range, and still be able to DL tomorrow...thus the 5k row. Tried to keep a 2:00/500m pace, and pretty much did except for when I had to stop to turn my phone/mp3 player off. Last 500m was about 1:47-1:50, so that helped empty out the chamber. T2B are not recommended for anyone 240# BTW...I can't complain about a bunch of work on my weaknesses, though. Hoping to DL 345x15 tomorrow!
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #23
Jay Ashman

a 5k row is death, better you than me, my man.

I'll get a pic of me in your nice shirt and post it for you, thank you again!
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
Dave Coughlin

Jay-The 5k row sucked, although I'm going to have to give it another go to get sub 20min. Glad you like the shirt; I found an XL sweatshirt shrunk down enough to prolly fit Nikki, but I'll wait until you guys make the move to OH to send it.

7/17/2010 @FD

cfwu 1x10

Deadlift

135*5, 175*5, 270*5, 315*5, 355*9
(last cycle's max rep DL was 345*8)

Conditioning
6x sled 50' pull-then-push @275#

*This day didn't turn out quite like I had hoped, and I blame the job Actually, I don't know what it was-maybe I set the bar too high with a goal of 355x15, maybe it was the two calls we ran right before the max rep set, maybe it was the 3.5 hours of sleep I got last night...I don't really know. I'm starting to realize that my $30 play-it-again sports Cap barbell is in need of an upgrade...the grip is shredding my hands and I have to take off my wedding band because of the discomfort. I'll start looking at legit oly bars then, plus an extra few 45# plates. The sled evolutions were sefl-inflicted punishment for not getting 15 reps@355#, and they sucked as expected. Tomorrow is BPx5 day, and then I can reset my schedule back to normal.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #25
Derek Simonds

Yeah that probably wasn't too big of a jump to go for... I stopped by Crossfit Evolution and dropped Leo off an empty keg. They were doing Fran and his brother got 2:39. I was tired just watching him.

On the bar front I bought a Pendlay Mens bar back several years ago and it is great but I don't DL with it. It is slightly smaller in diameter then most bars and it does flex when you get up over 275. I have been using a bar I bought 20 years ago to DL it just feels right. If you find a good bar for squat and DL for a decent price let me know.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Dave Coughlin

Derek-I was staring longingly at the empty keg just waiting for me to take it, at the recycling yard next door to the station last shift. I would have hopped the fence; however, there are a couple of pretty quick rotties that hang there over the weekends. Let me know how difficult it is to load one of those things, if you would....

7/18/2010 @FD...OT again

cfwu 1x10

Bench Press
135*5, 135*5, 185*5, 210*5, 245*12
(last cycle was 225x10)

Assistance work-pushups 15x5

Conditioning
sprint 50', pick up sandbag (1st time 55#, 2nd time 120#, 3rd time both bags)and sprint to start, drop one sandbag and pick up other bag, sprint 50'
50 DUs
Rest, then
Sprint out-and-back 50', pick up 120# sandbag and sprint out-and-back 50'
-Repeat 5x

*It looks like my bench seems to be improving, as I expect this lift will take longest for me to reach a plateau. I might have even got 15, if I was more comfortable with the bar/bench. The first sets x5 I was moving all over the bar to find a sweet spot, which never happened. The sandbag stuff I went pretty hard with, mainly so I would be forced to take a rest day tomorrow. Tuesday, I'll start the second week and hopefully I can have a good DL workout on Wed AM; however, I am concerned with the short turnaround time.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
Dave Coughlin

7/20/2010 @FD

cfwu 1x10

Shoulder Press, cycle 2/week 2
45*5, 75*5, 105*5, 130*3, 150*3, 170*7
(Last cycle week 2 max reps was 162# x9)

Assistance
Bar dips 4x15

100 Double Unders-1:48

2x easy sled pull, facing away from sled (like a horse): 270#

*Meh. Probably should have taken another rest day, but it would throw off my logistical plans even more. If I keep it up, I can do a 2on/1off schedule, which would go pretty well with my FD job and keep a good balance at home. I work out on shift, then the next morning, and then I'm pretty much home for the rest...we'll see I guess. I wanted ten on the max rep set, but I suppose I need to stop being disappointed with my max rep sets' output. In addition to DLs tomorrow, I'm meeting another FF who wants to put together a CF/FireSled challenge workout course. After I DL, I'll basically be his bourse guinea pig for a few hours-should be fun!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
Dave Coughlin

7/21/2010 @FD Training Center

cfwu 1x10

Deadlift
135*5, 225*5, 285*3, 325*3, 375*10
(Last cycle for this day was 345*11)

No Assistance work, just this bruiser of a workout

CrossFire Course Guinea Pig Test day 1
50ft FireSled (90# plus the sled est 180#) Backwards Dummy Drag
30 DB Push Presses 2/45#
30 Ceiling Breach & Pulls on FireSled
100ft farmers walk holding two 40# sandbags
100ft sandbag carry w/125# bag
30 pullups
30 KB swings w/45#
25ft FireSled pull-pulled hose towards you, one knee must stay on ground
30 burpees
125ft FireSled forward pull
13:33

*I was quite pleased with my DL, especially since it was such a short turnaround time from my underwhelming SO day last night (last nights WOD was 1900hrs, and today's was 1030). I really like the old Oly bars they have here at the FD Traning Ctr, so I'll do what I can to get down here more. My goal was 7-8 reps for my max rep set, but I felt pretty good after #8. I could have had 2-3 more, but I knew I had to save something for the CrossFire course.
**One of our LTs is the creator of the FLA FF Olympics, and they have a ton of events. One of our PFTs has been asking me about CF, hybrids, CFFB, etc for quite a while, and he was tasked with making a FF Olympics event that combines functional movements with the FireSled that one of our chiefs is a creator of. They've asked for my input on the events, so I'll be doing the course once a week, telling them the good/bad points, then they'll change it for the next week, and lather rinse repeat. It was a pretty tough workout, but I thought it would might be more attractive to folks if they would drop the # of burpees and pullups to 15-20, and add another lower body-biased movement. Once we got talking, I thought that changing it to 15 burpee pullups might be the smartest move. That way, the CF guys can't just kip 30 super fast, and the bigger guys can stay in contention. My back was fried halfway through, thanks to DLs, but it was a nice lung-burning sensation I haven't had for a few weeks.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #29
Dave Coughlin

7/22/2010 Driveway

Partner WOD-working while other partner runs (est) 200m
Run/burpees
Run/plank hold
Run/situps
Run/flutter kicks
All out sprint & back

7/26/2010 @FD

cfwu 1x10

Bench Press
45*5, 135*5, 195*3, 220*3, 250*10
(Previous cycle's performance was 247*8

Assistance
-Pushups 3x10, CF Games standard (chest/chin hit the deck, with palms of the ground on each rep

*Between the last DL day and the CrossFire guinea pig WOD, I was pretty fried. Luckily, we had some family stuff going on this weekend, so I got to chill eat and relax. Today has been a long shift, and I barely had enough spare time today to eat...much less work out. I got to bench, and had a decent day with plenty to improve upon. I might have had 13ish reps in me, but I'm not too keen on having help outside of a lift up initially. The CF Games pushups were interesting, and a bit difficult.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #30
Derek Simonds

I am glad someone else thought the pushups were odd and slightly challenging.