Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #121
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
Good to see you are still hitting it hard, your log is truly inspiring. Thanks for the good wishes you left on my page. I am back in hell (Iraq) now as my wife is doing good, hopefully she will be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I have less than a month left to finish this tour up so I am looking at pushing it really hard in the gym till then.
-grotts
I really appreciate that man. I hardly ever get feedback from anyone, so I really am just fumbling around in the dark. It's great to get an endorsement.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but I know you'll be back busting it out soon. Hope the end of your tour is safe and your training solid. I'll be checking your log!

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #122
Arien Malec

Just to note that I'm lurking here as well....

I'm slightly confused at to how you are setting up your days -- if you were following C&P, I'd expect to see lots more One-Lift-A-Day kinds of approaches. Seems like your approach focuses on lots of complexes.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #123
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Just to note that I'm lurking here as well....

I'm slightly confused at to how you are setting up your days -- if you were following C&P, I'd expect to see lots more One-Lift-A-Day kinds of approaches. Seems like your approach focuses on lots of complexes.
Yeah, your confusion is justified. It has been a work in progress, and I still have trouble letting go of old habits. I do a lot of complexes/conditioning type stuff. I just naturally gravitate towards that type of thing, but I am still hitting hi intensity stuff with pretty high frequency- big lifts at 85-100% around 6+ times/week . Just instead of doing neck work (like C&P), I tend to do complexes or prowler pushes. I also abhor sitting/standing around between sets so I tend to superset everything, even if its pointless/counter productive.

Basically, a rough outline is Day 1: Quick warmup, Press, Pull, Squat, whatever accessory I have time for/feel like; Day 2: strength based conditioning, body part split routine. Repeat for 6 weeks. I don't know if thats true C&P, but its definitely more volume and intensity than I normally see recommended. Its been fun too.

Really, for me this was more about just training the amount I wanted to rather than being just like the C&P guy.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #124
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post
Really, for me this was more about just training the amount I wanted to rather than being just like the C&P guy.
Cool. Also note the recent C&P reflections on burnout and rest :-)

The more I absorb, the more I note that there's not much difference between C&P and OLAD + finishers, and not too much difference between 5/3/1 in 4-days/week variants and C&P. I think that's a good thing....
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #125
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Cool. Also note the recent C&P reflections on burnout and rest :-)

The more I absorb, the more I note that there's not much difference between C&P and OLAD + finishers, and not too much difference between 5/3/1 in 4-days/week variants and C&P. I think that's a good thing....
Haha, yeah I have had a chuckle at his recent blog entries. The dude's a beast, and I think his mindset would benefit the vast majority of people, but we (him included) are human. One thing I like about his blog is watching his programming evolve. It is refreshing to see that someone as strong as he go through some of the same learning experiences I have. Lets me know that I may not be as big of a moron as I think I am.

I totally agree about the "different" programs not being so...different. And they all have their fun parts and not so fun parts. I do things the way I'm doing them because, for me, it has been the most fun.

Workout Log

Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #126
Samuel Hughes

Default Monday November 15 2010

101 185lb Power Clean tough today, was going to do doubles but just did some jump roping between singles

3,3,2,2,2,1,1 147lb Overhead Press // 100lb Chins no 110lb DBs!?!

55 265lb Back Squat repeat this on Friday, sloppy on late reps

Workout Log

Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #127
Samuel Hughes

Default Tuesday November 16 2010

Uncle with 4 Plate Prowler Push // Pull // Ab Wheel 9 rds

46 60lb Split Squats // 6 Plate Leg Press // Calf Raise go heavier on all these

310 GHR (banded as able) // 45lb Jump Squats // Hanging Leg Raise

Legs Finisher

Workout Log

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #128
Samuel Hughes

Default Wednesday November 17 2010

5x Empty Prowler Sprint

5x5 210lb Front Squat // 185lb Push Press - these got a little sloppy

1x382lb, fx402lb Deadlift - fuck. that is all

Trap Routine instead of extra deadlift volume:

2x6 115lb snatch pull // clean pull // barbell row
3x5 135lb Power Clean from blocks
20x 115lb Overhead Shrugs
3x5 250lb Snatch Grip Deadlift
20x 15lb Snatch Cuban Press

Workout Log

Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #129
Samuel Hughes

Default Thursday November 18 2010

Next week Im in Birmingham for Thanksgiving. Since I wont have bumpers to throw around, Im going to try to take it as an easy hypertrophy/deload week. I will also work on building a split routine I can incorporate into my big lifts for the next few months.

Conditioning:

10x Prowler Hill Sprints // 16kg KB Snatch

Working on a chest/arm routine for next "cycle" (I hesitate to sound like I plan things that much):

3x 225lb, 235b, 245lb, 255lb Bench press all felt solid

410 135lb Reverse Grip Bench Press // 100lb Cable Fly working on scapular retraction/ shoulder symmetry during pressing, didnt like the flies might just do DBs and focus on stretch. Or cable rows, though I was trying to leave my back alone.

46 65 Fat Grip Curl and Press // 65lb Dips

410 65lb Fat Grip Overhead Ext // 25lb DB Curl // Wrist Curl

Too much volume with heavy bench in there unless the next day is completely off my chest, which its not. I think the solution might be to drop the bench and go heavy on the reverse grip, once Im comfortable with it

Workout Log

Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #130
Samuel Hughes

Default Friday November 19 2010

30x 125lb Fat Grip Hang Clean // Press
Time 7:00 - want to cut it to 5:00

6x5 40lb Wide Grip Pullups

5x5 270lb Squat

Bunch of shrugs / Rack Pulls

Workout Log