Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #101
Leon Robotham

Deads.

because of the inconsistency of my training I wanted to find out where I am currently, so i pulled a few singles working up to 1 heavy pull.

242kg, felt ok, 245-7 would have been fine, but I have a ton of work to do to get to where I want to be. (want a 600lbs dead, so need 30kegs from somewhere).

Did 3 x 10 hanging leg raises and then called it a day.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #102
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Deads.

because of the inconsistency of my training I wanted to find out where I am currently, so i pulled a few singles working up to 1 heavy pull.

242kg, felt ok, 245-7 would have been fine, but I have a ton of work to do to get to where I want to be. (want a 600lbs dead, so need 30kegs from somewhere).

Did 3 x 10 hanging leg raises and then called it a day.
Yes you are a monster...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #103
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Yes you are a monster...
haha thanks! But in all honesty I think I'm a long way from that, too many holes in my game.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #104
Leon Robotham

Friday

press 3x5
67.5. last couple of reps on the last set were HARD!

100 Swings, 25kg untimed. 10x10 explosive as possible.

Saturday

Power Clean and Push jerk up to 110kg, limiting fator here was the power clean, the PJ was pretty easy.

BJJ

Only 3 of us on the mat and one was being graded today.

Guard passing/retention drills.

Then myself and the other guy were compliant and then non-compliant partners for aziz's blue belt testing.

The sparring was really cool, nothing extremely intense but everybody was moving extremely well.

I've found a sequence that works really well for me from top. If i'm in closed guard I keep frustrating my opponent by keeping good posture and working my grips, as soon as they open guard I switch to combat base and secure a double pant grip, I keep downward pressure here and then use the x-pass to KOB and then take a collar grip. From there i've been opting for either the far side arm bar or for teh brabo or kimura. This was seriously high percentage for me on Weds and Sat, going to play with it a little more.

Aziz did really well, we sparred constantly for 40 minutes and he only got tapped twice! Great session and excellent to have another blue belt on the mats, he's rolled for a couple of years now and competed right through the year winning most competitions so it was well deserved.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #105
Leon Robotham

Squat heavy single.

200kg.

Needed to find out roughly where I am in order to reset for a new cycle. PB with some in the tank.

Press 1x5 68.5k
Press 12 50kg. Last two quite difficult.

taking the volume back a little here for a month or so.

It's been a long day but I've managed to tick off two PB's, happy with that.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #106
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Squat heavy single.

200kg.

Needed to find out roughly where I am in order to reset for a new cycle. PB with some in the tank.

Press 1x5 68.5k
Press 12 50kg. Last two quite difficult.

taking the volume back a little here for a month or so.

It's been a long day but I've managed to tick off two PB's, happy with that.
Congrats on the PB. That is a super solid lift. You just keep getting stronger and your BJJ is progressing rapidly. Very nice. By the way I am excited to see (if you are going to share) what you create for the Faktory in the way of programming.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #107
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Congrats on the PB. That is a super solid lift. You just keep getting stronger and your BJJ is progressing rapidly. Very nice. By the way I am excited to see (if you are going to share) what you create for the Faktory in the way of programming.
Thanks man, I am getting stronger for sure, and I do feel like i'm growing on the mats which is great.

No secret with regards to the programming, I bounced a couple of things off Gant and i'm just going to keep it simple. Actually, after I emailed him my idea it turns out that it's pretty close to what he's doing at the moment.

Basically a condensed SS, focussing on linear progression 2x a week, 3 lifts each day with one conditioning session each week as we figure a lot of that will come from the mats. Conditioning will be mostly complexes using KBs BBs and sandbags and relatively short. Once that stalls out switch it over to a 2 day wendler.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #108
Leon Robotham

clean pull + hang clean heavy single.

worked up to 110, attempted 120 twice and missed, too greedy as would have made 115

On the minute for 10 minutes.
2 pull-up
10 push up
15 squats.

First workout with pull-ups in for a long time. Felt ok.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #109
Leon Robotham

Played with Kettlebell swings up to 32kg as my warm-up.

Deads 5-5-5+

157.5 - 181 - 205. All dead stop.

Couple of hours later at home. 15-1 Kettlebell snatch l&R 16kg. around 13-14 mins, no stop watch, just TV clock. Limiting factor was my left arm and also callouses.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #110
Leon Robotham

Saturday.

Cooked up a birthday workout for Kempie.

AMRAP 30.

Tag Team: (one person working only)
5 burpees
10 HPC 50kg
250m row.

250m short of 11 rounds each.

Did this with Laura D and there was no letting up, while i was slowing up she just stayed the same. Needless to say this was a killer!!

BJJ.

Got in slightly late after doing a little bit of xmas shopping.

Lots of drilling. Back control/escapes - side control/escapes - mount/escapes.

After drilling for about an hour and a half we only had time for two 6 minute rounds of sparring. I rolled with Hywel and managed to catch a triangle twice, but didnt finish it and also did really well to reverse a sweep. I must have rolled really well because Hywel asked for me to do another round with him afterwards and it was pretty much the same. I found myself getting crushed by a KOB and for the first time ever actually felt like I could tap, dont know whether this was because I was hungover and therefore mentally weak or because he has super shapr knees haha. Either way I managed to man up and escape. He was trying to get me to turn into him so that he could get a hand deep in the collar, fortunately I sussed it and managed to get spin out to me knees and take his back.