Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #121
Leon Robotham

BJJ yesterday.

Sweeps from open guard, partner standing and with grips high up, behind the elbow. Backwards roll to mount. Variation switches to armbar. Pause with partner in the air instead of rolling, take one foot off the hips and steer them round into the armbar. hard to describe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQxjAiSRsBg master carlos gracie jr nearly pulls it off at 2.46 of this video. Next we covered the basic DLR sweep to side and then the back take. Each technique was followed by 4 minutes isolation with progressive resistance.

Sparring was good and full of energy. We were told to roll without submission for the first 3 rounds and then after that only blue and up could sub. We had a couple of whitebelts rolling last week 50/50 whether or not he could get an armbar and just went for it. Fortunately there wasn't any damage, but the point is being driven home to guys that subs aren't about spazzing out and tearing limbs off I think.

Tonight.

row 1k. 3.31

3 rounds
5 dead 140k
10 GHD
15 Box jump

5 min.

OK so I feel like i've dusted the cobwebs off after the Christmas and New Year so it's back to focussed lifting and a couple of metcons a week + BJJ from next week. I've been roped into workout on saturday as a belated birthday present which i'll get out of the way, but that's life.

Weighed in at 95kg today, 4k down from Xmas and about 5k up from this time last year. I've found the additional 5k helpful on the mats when rolling with the bigger lads, but I'm going to have to stay disciplined with my conditioning to remain in shape for the BJJ comps this year.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #122
Leon Robotham

Taught the class this morning but it was really quiet.

3x10 Back Extension
3x5 chin-ups.

Shoulder stretches.

Tonight is back squat, bench and power clean. Metcon will be short and sweet as i'm starting to work through the galvao BJJ drills with Hywel today.

3 weeks out from competition so drilling is going to be done 3 x a week minimum.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #123
Leon Robotham

Squat 5-5-5+
133.5 - 153.5 - 175x7

Bench 3x5..................... My shoulders have stopped me from doing bench completely, but since they've been kind of ok I wanted to add it in. Worked up to 90 for a single and felt a twinge then chose 70 for the working sets. Please dont laugh I'm going to have to be sensible here, perhaps incline might be better. Any input appreciated!

Power clean 5x3 @ 80, light but fast.

7 rounds.
3 strict pull-ups
3 strict dips.

Tabata Squats. 22-22-20-20-20-20-20-20.

20 bjj back roll outs each way + 20 leg swings.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #124
Eduardo Chile

Hey Leon,

A video would make it easier to help. Also are you doing any extra work for shoulder prehab/rehab?

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #125
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
Hey Leon,

A video would make it easier to help. Also are you doing any extra work for shoulder prehab/rehab?
Hey Eduardo

i will shoot some video and post it. Shoulder prehab/rehab simply consists of stretches, foam roller, ice & ideally a massage once a week. I could be doing more with regards to stretching though.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #126
Eduardo Chile

If you bench with a flat back you might be irritating the shoulder due to too much internal rotation. Also, external rotation is usually not strengthen by most exercises so that may need special attention.

I recommend diesel crews shoulder prehab/rehab videos on youtube.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #127
Leon Robotham

Quote:
If you bench with a flat back you might be irritating the shoulder due to too much internal rotation. Also, external rotation is usually not strengthen by most exercises so that may need special attention.

I bought the EFS bench manual and my technique was to go with and arched back, keeping the shoulders on the bench and pinching them together, I used a relatively narrow grip and tried to keep my elbows tucked.

I'm doing a lot of external rotation stretches and to be honest with you although i've used the diesel crews video on youtube before i've not went back and used it again. I'll get back on that actually, thanks Eduardo!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #128
Derek Simonds

Quote:

Agreed completely.

My shoulder pain got horribly bad and I used the DC Prehab / Rehab stuff and RKC Armbars to get back to normal. I also use the EFS technique and Jedd from DC likes my form so I think their shoulder stuff fits in great with EFS's technique.

The other big item is direct upper back work. I try and do 2 to 1 pulling motions to pressing motions. Doesn't matter what plane it is I strive for that on every workout. Kroc Rows, Barbell Rows, Fat Man Rows, Ring Rows, Chin Ups, Pull Ups, Face Pulls... Just got to out work the pressing. I think that has really made the biggest difference in my shoulder pain.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #129
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Agreed completely.

My shoulder pain got horribly bad and I used the DC Prehab / Rehab stuff and RKC Armbars to get back to normal. I also use the EFS technique and Jedd from DC likes my form so I think their shoulder stuff fits in great with EFS's technique.

The other big item is direct upper back work. I try and do 2 to 1 pulling motions to pressing motions. Doesn't matter what plane it is I strive for that on every workout. Kroc Rows, Barbell Rows, Fat Man Rows, Ring Rows, Chin Ups, Pull Ups, Face Pulls... Just got to out work the pressing. I think that has really made the biggest difference in my shoulder pain.
RKC armbars aren't something that i've tried before as a prehab/rehab exercise, but i will give them a try. About 5 years ago Jeff Martone advised me to go on a diet of TGU's this helped my shoulders a lot. What I need to do though is figure out how to fit it all in and when! Time is a big thing for me

The direct upper back work I was planning to get done after my second lifting day but it wouldnt be enough of a stimulus once a week to benefit me any. I will need to plan in about 3 days of focussed back work I reckon. The rows i can get in on both lifting days and then perhaps before BJJ on a Wednesday.

When you were using the DC program how did you fit it into your schedule?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #130
Leon Robotham

BJJ

Wow, yesterday was awesome!! We had 20 guys on the mat and most of them are athletic and extremely competitive, rolling was fun and I woke up this morning like I'd been hit by a bus.

Kangaroo jumps, aligator and bear crawls then rolls and break falls for the warm-up.

First technique was an escape from side control. Bump and shoot an underhook then bridge, hip out and get to belly then knees. Grab the near leg then tap the back leg to pass. Drilled in isolation for a few minutes.

Counter to the above. As opponent grabs leg take a back step and control his back from the side. Work hooks in with either the knee or if there's enough space shoot a hook straight in. Drilled in isolation.

Clock choke to finish.

Then the rolling... What a killer! We had twins join the gym in October, they have grappling experience, but have only been training in the gi since then. Both are about 6ft, weigh 95kg and hellishly athletic. Problem is they're both still unable to relax and just want to go hard all of the time.

Today this was a good problem for me to tackle, I really wanted a hard roll as competitions are coming up so wanted to test my stamina. I managed to roll with them both without my guard being passed but boy was it hard, they made me work my ass off. Posture plus pressure creates possibilities and by biding my time I was able to pass guard several times with the bull fighter pass and get to mount, but I couldn't finish either of them from there and had to get to the back to finish with a bow and arrow.

I really need to work on my mount techniques, tbh I think that is the weakest part of my game at the moment.

Pretty happy with my mat conditioning.