Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #161
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Squats 5-3-1

157.5-178.5-200x2 PB.

Power clean 102.5x5x3 PB.

I haven't recovered from Saturday's madness so feeling a little sore.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #162
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

Congrats on those PB's that is awesome.
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #163
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

So in the latest video posted by the Faktory showing Cyborg fighting I am conspicuously absent... If only the damn cameraman would have turned just a little to the right you would have seen me winning my match via points, I finished in the back mount but just couldn't get the tap. That was the match where the guy broke my nose. I remember warming up going holee crap I am fighting right next to Cyborg!@!@! I don't remember any of his fight so it was good to see it.
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #164
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
So in the latest video posted by the Faktory showing Cyborg fighting I am conspicuously absent... If only the damn cameraman would have turned just a little to the right you would have seen me winning my match via points, I finished in the back mount but just couldn't get the tap. That was the match where the guy broke my nose. I remember warming up going holee crap I am fighting right next to Cyborg!@!@! I don't remember any of his fight so it was good to see it.
What!! Really?? that is AWESOME, I wonder whether there are any other videos out there at an angle which might show some of your footage. Dude, that is bizarre hahaha. Do you get nervous before competition?
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #165
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

So my business partner managed to tear his meniscus recently so i've been working solo. Managed to get on the mats, but only in time for the sparring.

I used the first few rounds to get warm and loose then began working on my open guard. There's not really much to write about with me starting late in the class, but I did get awarded a stripe on my blue belt which i'm really pleased and at the same time surpised about.

It was funny because i'd just worked round onto my opponents back and was working for a choke when I felt someone on my shoulder. It was Ian putting a stripe on my belt, needless to say I was smiling a lot.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #166
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

5-3-1 deads

185-208-233.

Going to de-load and then switch over to what Justin Lascek has suggested and has used with AC and Chris, hopefully this will help me to progress my loads a little faster without getting so beat up.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #167
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
What!! Really?? that is AWESOME, I wonder whether there are any other videos out there at an angle which might show some of your footage. Dude, that is bizarre hahaha. Do you get nervous before competition?
Yep I get nervous. Competition is kind of jacked because you get there and then wait... and then wait some more. Grapplers Quest was really messed up because their computers crashed and they didn't have the schedules up, nothing. Literally I am sitting there watching Cyborg warm up and then they call me to same mat to fight. I didn't even have on my gi. Needless to say I wasn't warm for my first match.

I have written about this in my log before but another thing that happens is that I get auditory exclusion meaning I can only hear one voice out of all the noise. That is a key indicator of going into condition black. Twice I have had coaches (not my normal coach) yelling at me and I just don't hear them. Jr will then say dad do this or you are winning or keep choking he is turning purple and I will hear it like he is sitting right next to me. Usually he will parrot to me whatever the coaches are saying so that helps. I remember my first state championship fight my wife yells something that was completely out of context and I actually stopped fighting and was like what? Luckily I was in the mount at the time and didn't lose any position.

I have competed in many different things and it just is different with BJJ. I think part of it is the extremely finite time range we compete in. Meaning 6 minute matches and 1 minor mistake for a second and you can lose. You have to be completely focused and execute your game plan throughout the entire match or you are in jeopardy. Everything else I have competed in were longer events and 1 mistake might cost you but you aren't out of it.

Anyways I am rambling now. Congrats on your stripe!
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #168
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Yep I get nervous. Competition is kind of jacked because you get there and then wait... and then wait some more. Grapplers Quest was really messed up because their computers crashed and they didn't have the schedules up, nothing. Literally I am sitting there watching Cyborg warm up and then they call me to same mat to fight. I didn't even have on my gi. Needless to say I wasn't warm for my first match.

I have written about this in my log before but another thing that happens is that I get auditory exclusion meaning I can only hear one voice out of all the noise. That is a key indicator of going into condition black. Twice I have had coaches (not my normal coach) yelling at me and I just don't hear them. Jr will then say dad do this or you are winning or keep choking he is turning purple and I will hear it like he is sitting right next to me. Usually he will parrot to me whatever the coaches are saying so that helps. I remember my first state championship fight my wife yells something that was completely out of context and I actually stopped fighting and was like what? Luckily I was in the mount at the time and didn't lose any position.

I have competed in many different things and it just is different with BJJ. I think part of it is the extremely finite time range we compete in. Meaning 6 minute matches and 1 minor mistake for a second and you can lose. You have to be completely focused and execute your game plan throughout the entire match or you are in jeopardy. Everything else I have competed in were longer events and 1 mistake might cost you but you aren't out of it.

Anyways I am rambling now. Congrats on your stripe!
Thanks Derek

Apologies for the delay in getting back mate. The minimal spare time that i'v had on my hands has been spent with my girlfriend or just watching vids or listening to music. Nothing exciting to be fair, but you know when life's just so busy you take a step back from the norm? It's pretty much been like that.

I understand exactly what you're saying about comps being jacked, the waiting around is a nightmare, but it seems to be quite common that most guys competing are really cool and like-minded.

That's not good admin in GQ part considering how long they've been around it's surprising that they didn't have something in place should they encounter problems like that.

I think that it is quite common for people to zone out when in competition however, they usually don't hear anybody!! I wonder whether the fact that you can pick your sons voice out of a crowd whilst in the midst of battle is to do with parenthood and the fact that you have to be in tune around kids when they're playing out etc. Like a protection ting kind of, am I making sense or what??

I need to update my log later, dont have anything to really write about as last week was a de-load and I've been running classes solo.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #169
Leon Robotham
Member
 
Leon Robotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 226
Default

Mon 28th.

De-load Squats.

85x5 - 105x5 - 126.

Tues 29th.
40 mins of KB swing and 200m run. Easy pace, about 32 rounds done with a few guys for a different change of pace.

Weds - BJJ sparring

Thurs- 1st

De-load deads

98.5x5 - 122.5x5 - 147.5x5

Friday - Off
Saturday - BJJ ( only made it in for sparring )
Sunday - Off.

Monday - TM set-up squats.

165kx3x5

Power Clean 60x10x3

5 sets Pull-ups, Back Extension, GHR.

Tues - OFF.

Weds - OFF. ( tired as hell, running off 5 hours sleep).
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #170
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

It probably is a parental thing. We are very close so I am cued to react to his voice. You have been posting some excellent music on FB by the way.
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator