Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #31
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
The easiest way to use that technique is to just sit up at the same time you pull your opponent forward with your hips and pin the arm you are going to reach around in between you and him. It is an explosive move but you aren't just horsing them around.
Aha yeah i'm with you. That seems really simple, i'll give it a shot in sparring tomorrow. What I think will be a great BJJ book has finally come out today, Andre Galvao's "Drill like a champion" , look it up.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #32
Derek Simonds

I just ordered it. Be here in 5 days.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #33
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I just ordered it. Be here in 5 days.
Me too, but it's going to take a couple of weeks for mine

Here's a video of galvao with some neat drills and a couple of decent gi sweeps from half way through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejm4CryCyic&feature=fvsr
Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
Leon Robotham

light power clean triples, worked up to 80k.

10 Hill Sprints, steep grassy hill.

5 at about 60 meters and the other 5 about 40.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #35
Leon Robotham

wednesday

BJJ.

At the end of the session on Saturday one of the newer guys asked our coach about escaping the triangle. Ian said that rather than teaching him the escape he would teach a class on the triangle choke and then cover 2 escape options so this is what was the basis of the class.

Warm-up - Jogging, rolls, shrimping, breakfalls, different types of quadrupedal movement. Then partner stand-up drills (Goal being to hand fight and tap the shoulders, then the hips). Next was grip surfing/fighting, the coach yelled out a grip and we had to fight for it, he'd change at random. Quite a warm-up.

We covered the basic triangle, from the open guard. Ian showed us how to hold position on a resistant opponent and a solid way to finish the choke. We were told to finish at an angle and to avoid closing the triangle over our feet so we didn't toe-hold ourselves. Then we had to reach under the arm that is on the outside and grab our own knee to lock it in tight. After about an hour of covering this we were shown the basic knee to the mat walk around escape and the figure four escape.

Isolation drills - escape or finish the triangle at about 60%. 1 2 minute round each way, reset when achieve objective.

Sparring: This was a really good night for me, I played a light floating game focussing on movement. Just looking to flow from position to position provided heaps of passing, sweeps and submission opportunities. I rolled with Hywel for an 8 minute round and there was a lot of sweeps, back taking and escapes by both of us, nobody really dominated and nobody got a sub, but it just flowed for the full round.

Great session.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
Leon Robotham

Deads 5-5-5+

150-175-197.5 x 15

The deadlifts were rediculously fast tonight.

5 rounds
200m run
10 Swings, 25kg bell.

Accessory - RDL, GHR, Pull-ups.

Foam roll and stretch.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #37
Leon Robotham

Burgener WU

Power Snatch - lots of singles working up to 5 x 1 x 80kg.

Barbell Power Shrugs - 3x10
140-150-160k

PS was good today.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #38
Leon Robotham

Saturday
BJJ

Warm up - jogging, lots of styles of animal crawling, rolls, breakfalls, shrimping and hip matrix.

5 minutes grip fighting

10 minutes flow rolling - no subs

After the flow rolling we covered the turning pass. When you're in somebody's half guard and passing but they're deep on the leg you switch your hips so that you have your back to your opponent. If he has an underhook threaten a kimura and as soon as he pulls the arm back shove your elbow up high and secure a belt grip. There's pictures of me in this position on our blog here www.faktorybjj.tumblr.com once in this position you can either walk your foot up to create enough space to clear the knee or use your free hand to push their leg over your knee.

There was only 6 of us in the session so we just rolled together for 5 6 minute rounds. My jiujitsu was really on point today, because their was only one guy heavier than me I played open guard throughout. I'd read an article earlier in the week which laid out the open guard principle of always having 2 or 3 points of contact at any one time to allow you to grip, push, pull and move. Simple and obvious but just actively thinking about that and working on it I was able to play at quite a high tempo without really ever aving my guard passed. When I rolled with my coaches my guard was passed several times, but I was able to pull off a couple of sweeps and took the back twice which was great. Hywel said that I was the hardest person to choke at our gym, he had mount once and was trying for an ezekiel, after several escape attempts I managed to get out the back door.Twice he had my back and went for the finish but I was able to avoid getting tapped and move into a dominant position.

Awesome session!

Sunday

Went down to Manchester on a bit of a road trip for a mobility cert with Jami Tikkanen. Had a great day, learned a lot and willbe putting it all into practice to increase my shoulder mobility.

Today

Back Squat 3-3-3+

133.5-152.5-171

For time

250 squats. If you break at any point run 400m.

6.16. No breaks.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #39
Leon Robotham

10 rounds
200m run
3 PC&J, 70k
3 Box Jump, 28in.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #40
Derek Simonds

Nice time. I decided that I am adding back in Olympic lifts this next go around. A bunch of guys at the academy have had me helping them with their workout design and lifts. It got me hungry for some classical lifting. Not sure that right now I could do 30 PC&J at 70 KG in 12 minutes. Should be fun.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote