Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #51
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
That is awesome about the kids cert. I have always liked what the Martins were doing with CF Kids. Looks to be some good progress on your workouts.
The cert was brilliant mate, you wouldn't be disappointed if you attended one. What they're doing with CF Kids is amazing.

Thanks Derek. I've been trying to push a bit more on the metcon side of things recently, but there's still a lot a can't do because of my wing.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #52
Leon Robotham

Short and sweet tonight

3 rounds
400m run
10 Hang Power Clean, 60k
10 Press-up

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #53
Leon Robotham

Saturday

1 Power Snatch
1 Hang Power Snatch
3 Overhead squats

Worked up from 40k in 2.5 increments to 70k. Good speed and form throughout.

BJJ - Class was dead today, the local football team was playing the opening game of the season and I'm pretty sure that had something to do with the lack of bodies on the mat. Not to worry though, it basically turned into a private class

No footage from the session.

This class was more about concepts, we kicked off with hand fighting, then grip fighting for a sleeve grip, then working up the arm for an elbow/sleeve grip, then advancing to collar grips. After that we covered jumping guard aggressively and were given a few pointers 1. secure good grips 2. cut an angle 3. make sure your opponent is going down to the mat off balance and take advantage.

Next we worked escapes from side control, mount and back. Lots of drilling with the emphasis on good hip movement.

So most of the class was spent drilling with Hywel shouting out posture and hips throughout. Obviously BJJ is all about posture and good hip movement but I find it amazing how an inch can mean finishing or missing a tecnique. It's ALL in the hips!

Sparring with Hywel was interesting, I think he was basically just allowing me to work and watching what I would do and then counter or nullify the technique. Although a lot of the techniques I was trying weren't working he wasn't able to pass my guard and in the last seconds while he was passing to the side I managed to pull off a sweep with one BFK in over my right shoulder by rolling with it.

Good session.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #54
Leon Robotham

Today

back Squat 5-5-5

125-145-165

For time
400m Run
5 rounds
2 Front Squat, 110
3 Burpee
4 Box Jump 36in.

This really sucked!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #55
Leon Robotham

AMRAP 7
3 Hang Power Snatch, 55k
10 Lateral press-up. (either explode over a 20k plate and do a press-up on each side with one hand on the plate, or walk your hands over the plate from side to side before each rep.)

8 rounds exactly.

Suckfest!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #56
Leon Robotham

Last night

K-Star mobility wod day 1

10 minutes sat in the hole with spinal flexion. Had to use the couch for the majority of the time, but regardless of that it still sucked!

Tonight - BJJ

We had a lot of new guys on the mat so today was all about drilling basics.

escape from side control. Bridge,roll to side, shrimp, recover guard. We drilled this with no resistance and then with 60% for 2 minutes each.

escape from side control with underhook. bridge, grab an ankle and roll to knees (recover guard, take back or roll them over to side). drilled with no resistance then 60% for 2 mins on each variation.

Guard. Scissor sweep. Collar and sleeve grip, open guard and put knee across opponent from hip to chest, one leg on the floor, push-pull and then scissor. Drilled again without and with resistance at 60%

Scissor sweep to arm bar. If you can't get the above because your opponent has good balance you kick the leg on their chest straight, switch your hips creating an angle and then bring your other leg over the head for the armbar. This is a solid technique because if you have good grips it's pretty tough to escape. More drilling.

After this we did a flow drill with no resistance where we'd start on the bottom in side control and work through the sequence. Bridge and escape with or without the underhook, recover guard, go for scissor sweep opponent resists here, switch to armbar.

Sparring, only two rounds with the focus on working todays techniques (only belts with stripes were allowed to sub and they could use any technique to finish). I rolled with a guy who has been rolling a while with us and a nogi guy from another club. I started off in bottom for both rounds and worked my way to top using the techniques we were shown, I caught the gi guy in a triangle and the nogi guy with a head and arm triangle. I think the nogi guy will be good once he learns to use his grips, he's strong and pretty fit so i'm looking forward to rolling with him in future.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #57
Derek Simonds

It sounds like the club is growing nicely.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #58
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
It sounds like the club is growing nicely.
It really is Derek, I was talking to Hywel today about him putting more classes on. Unfortunately for me though because of my schedule I can only make 2 classes per week.

due to the sudden growth I'm finding that because there's a lot of new guys the randori has been reduced significantly. I need to get some more sparring in with the higher belts, but i've not been on the mat with them in a while.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #59
Leon Robotham

Snatch Balance

40x2 -50x2 - 60x2 - 70x2 - 80x1 - 90x1 - 100x1.

Power Clean 3 on min x 10 min. 85kg.

Everything fast and snappy so i'm pretty happy. Not enough time to fit a metcon in of any sort though
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #60
Leon Robotham

Saturday

Played arund with some OHS and managed 11 at 90kg (bwt), but I couldn't get anymoe because I didn't have the bar clipped up and there were 4 5kg bumpers either side. It was good to squat with the weights all over the place though

BJJ -

Small class of 7 with 2 girls on the mat, a beginner (Teresa, my partner) and Lisa a 3 stripe Blue and partner of Hywel.

Guard retention drills (Open Guard), with both feet on the hips when partner moves hook one foot behind the opposite knee to the way he moves and square up, then the same drill but with sleeve grips as well. Followed up with opposite foot to opposite hip then switch hips with 3 points of contact at all times.

Basic shrimps escapes from bottom and a from the back.

Sweeps. We did a sweep from spider guard when you pull your opponent in by bringing your knees to the body and then extending them while rolling over with them to either mount or side. Very simple and I managed to hit this twice in sparring with Ben the wrestling guy.

The second sweep was almost too simple to believe! from side control with two hands in spin out and up to reverse the control. Probably doesn't sound right but i'll take a vid of it when I get my phone back and upload it.

We were told to keep all of the sparing light and to try and use some of the techniques that we'd worked in class that day. I managed to pull the sweep off on Hywel and also worked on a few of the retention drills, Hywel liked it and said that I was using my hips a lot more. He also said that my bottom game is really good and that I should start to develop my top game now. I've spent almost the last year on my back playing mostly open guard, my closed guard isn't the greatest but If I need to i can get there and hang out. He's given me the SBG top game DVD to watch so hopefully the principles explained will improve my game.

This class was great because Teresa was on the mat, it was good to see her playing on the mat and enjoying the experience. She would like to do it more, but only if there are other women on the mat or if she just rolled with me. She will rolll when Lisa is in town and also when Nat comes down to try it out.

Monday

Back Squat 3-3-3
Press 5-5-5

135-155-175
40-40-40

Did the presses between squat sets. Shoulders felt fine for once, but need heaps of work.

Tuesday

Snatch Heavy

Lots of singles up to 90kg. First time snatching bwt in 9 months, mainly because i haven't snatched. Speed is starting to come back. Happy!

Played with 2 16k bells.

Tonight

Deads 5-5-5
Press 5-5-5

155-177.5-200
45-45-45

200 felt a little heavy today on the 4th and 5th. Presses felt good, but i'm going to use 45 as the starting point and work up in baby steps.