Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default The biggest Loser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoKe...layer_embedded

Funny stuff.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

"Funny?" Did you link the wrong video? It's sad, yes, but not really funny.

The spell-check comment was good though. I got a good chuckle out of that.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Grissim Connery

My girlfriend got me into that show. I've been so split on how I feel about the whole thing. Although parts of it are wrong, it's nice to see a guy who literally weighs over 500# drop 227# without surgery.

A winner from a previous season gained all his weight back, so he got to redo it on his own and show up for a finale. This was the exact thing i worried about, but i thought that if some of these people regained weight (and they probably would), it would never approach their initial weights.

One guy from the past season now does BJJ (for exercise right now i think). i was just glad that the show could get a guy on that path. hopefully he'll not think of BJJ as a workout later though.

Maybe they'll get glassman to come in, and it will utterly fail because people are too busy trying to figure out what his big words mean and why he's using them.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Donald Lee

That show is horrible for weight loss.

Unreal expectations.

Unhealthy dieting.

Unnecessary and dangerous amounts and type of exercise.

No education on a healthy diet and how to maintain bodyweight.

Fostering of unhealthy body image.

The people on Lyle's forum were questioning Kai Hibbard's motives. She has a website and is sponsored by some weight loss company, but I don't think what she's saying about the show is wrong.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

The same concerns were raised in a newspaper out here about the Australian version but no one even blinked.

There was actually nmore of a controversy over an incident in a show called "Masterchef" (don't know if you guys have that one) where a contestant was allowed to re-plate some food that looked a bit dodgy before it was judged.

Biggest loser got a small article, Masterchef got almost a full page in Australias biggest tabloid
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Brian Stone

I dunno - I can't imagine anyone watching the biggest loser doesn't get the impression that it's exactly the sacrifice that she talks about. If she knows how to dehydrate herself to fool a scale, that's not going to do you any good for more than 1 weigh-in.

This is a competition - people want to win and they're going to get down and dirty to do it. Nobody thinks a lot of the sacrifices people make for the sake of competition are healthy, and usually you push yourself to unhealthy mental states to make them. I don't see why weight-loss has to be any different from any other type of competitive show on TV.

For me, nothing really surprising about what she said in there. IMO, the show doesn't perpetuate anything different from the rest of the mainstream world. At the very least, viewers of that show should realize that those people achieve those goals busting their ass, which at the end of the day is the remedy for a lot of people.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote