Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Emily Mattes

Default Crossfit/USA Weightlifting Hybrid Contest

Say it ain't so . . .

Is this a joke?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Daniel Gam

my guess is that for better or for worse CF has already far exceeded weightlifting in popularity and numbers (plus CF is relatively weightlifting friendly and a lot of the top lifters in the states lift out of CF gyms) so USAW is teaming up with them to increase their own growth and exposure. they even got eleiko to team up with them.
Daniel Gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Emily Mattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gam View Post
my guess is that for better or for worse CF has already far exceeded weightlifting in popularity and numbers (plus CF is relatively weightlifting friendly and a lot of the top lifters in the states lift out of CF gyms) so USAW is teaming up with them to increase their own growth and exposure. they even got eleiko to team up with them.
Well, yeah. They're hoping to draw Crossfitters into weightlifting, and I think that's a worthy pursuit. But this seems like the worst possible way to do it--all this does is water down the nature of weightlifting meets and create the impression the best way to train Oly lifters is Fran. Why not create a formalized system for linking coaches with affiliates--as has already been succeeding on a grassroots level? Or a series of introductory meets, strictly for new lifters with maybe an intro session held before them to explain the rules of meets and the basic principles behind warm-ups and opening attempts, and heavily advertise these to affiliates?

Should rugby leagues looking for increased membership change the rules of the sport to appeal to lovers of American football? Should mathematics departments looking to increase their number of undergrad majors remove calculus requirements? There are ways to market without compromising the fundamental integrity of your sport . . . But maybe USAW is so damn desperate they'll worship whatever golden calf that appears.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
The event will join weightlifting one of the oldest Olympic sports with CrossFit one of the most popular strength and conditioning programs in the nation that combines weightlifting, sprinting and gymnastics.
Reading that made me nauseous.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Well, yeah. They're hoping to draw Crossfitters into weightlifting, and I think that's a worthy pursuit. But this seems like the worst possible way to do it--all this does is water down the nature of weightlifting meets and create the impression the best way to train Oly lifters is Fran. Why not create a formalized system for linking coaches with affiliates--as has already been succeeding on a grassroots level? Or a series of introductory meets, strictly for new lifters with maybe an intro session held before them to explain the rules of meets and the basic principles behind warm-ups and opening attempts, and heavily advertise these to affiliates?

Should rugby leagues looking for increased membership change the rules of the sport to appeal to lovers of American football? Should mathematics departments looking to increase their number of undergrad majors remove calculus requirements? There are ways to market without compromising the fundamental integrity of your sport . . . But maybe USAW is so damn desperate they'll worship whatever golden calf that appears.
Yeah. I can't believe USAW would stoop so low as to modify their competition format to only include the Clean and Jerk (with no rules but ground-to-overhead) followed by a 5K run, then followed by as many Handstand Push-ups in 30 minutes as possible. It's a traveshamockery.

Oh? It's a normal weightlifting meet followed by an o-lift themed CF-style metcon? What I'm really angry about is USAW's association with CrossFit, the Hitler of exercise websites? Well, my butt's still hurt and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Joe Cavazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
What I'm really angry about is USAW's association with CrossFit, the Hitler of exercise websites?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZHK-Ub544
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Only CFers will care about this competition.

IF a true OLer gets a bug up their butt long enough to learn super-light fast-turnover cleans, a decent kipping pull-up, and double-unders (not really hard moves for someone talented enough to be a high-level OLer), then they will likely clean house and this competition will never happen again.

See Donnie Shankle.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Geoffrey Thompson

I've posted my views on this atrocity elsewhere. I think it's silly and I do not think it is any benefit to USAW. There are a lot of better ways USAW and CrossFit, Inc. can be mutually beneficial. Take, for instance, the meet John Broz is putting on - that's a good example of synergy. It's a sanctioned meet running alongside an unsanctioned meet for CrossFitters and other beginners.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
IF a true OLer gets a bug up their butt long enough to learn super-light fast-turnover cleans, a decent kipping pull-up, and double-unders (not really hard moves for someone talented enough to be a high-level OLer), then they will likely clean house and this competition will never happen again.
And everything that is CrossFit and the "methodology" of GG will be completely disproved. They'll be less fit, less strong, and less skilled if they lose each event to oly guys; this has some spectacular repercussions. I think this where people aren't thinking this through, if the CrossFitters get out performed in the wod and out lifted by oly guys it's potentially going to be the silver bullet for CrossFit or at least a clear example of a least effective way to train people, and whatever "programming" the CrossFit athletes followed leading up to the event, it's for the first time going to be shown as ineffective. This is the actual evidence based test that CrossFit has been avoiding all this time, interesting chit ladies and gentlemen
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

70s big Take on it...
http://www.70sbig.com/?p=2212

My take:

Silly
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote