Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Performance Menu Book Club.

Stolen out of another thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Jesse-
that is actually not a bad idea...build "library" of books and DVD's that only PM subscribers are elligible for...kinda like Netflicks....hmmm

I had this same idea yesterday whilst writing up my take on Ross Enamait's books.

There are a lot of books I'd love to read but don't want to own, None of which are not at my library. What about a PM book Club? I have soem basic texts I'd share, Ross, PTP, Practical Programming, etc.

Is there copyright IP problems there?
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Is there copyright IP problems there?
I would love the idea...as most books I get I read once, take notes on what I like and get rid of....

However with the internet and E-Books I assume there is some issues. New territory...but it is so much more than me giving a hard cover away once I am done with it? I guess it would have to be up the author on whether he wants his book in an internet library. Unless that library charged for a membership fee and he got a cut.....who knows. Or people can view it online...but are not able to save it to their computers or print off...that requires the full purchase of the E-book? Just throwing ideas out there...

Love the idea though....as unlike walking into Borders....you can't preview and skim through the book to see if it is actually worth buying.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I would love the idea...as most books I get I read once, take notes on what I like and get rid of....

However with the internet and E-Books I assume there is some issues. New territory...but it is so much more than me giving a hard cover away once I am done with it? I guess it would have to be up the author on whether he wants his book in an internet library. Unless that library charged for a membership fee and he got a cut.....who knows. Or people can view it online...but are not able to save it to their computers or print off...that requires the full purchase of the E-book? Just throwing ideas out there...

Love the idea though....as unlike walking into Borders....you can't preview and skim through the book to see if it is actually worth buying.
My initial thinking wa that to avoid IP adn copyrigth troubesl, it would have to be a hardcover exchange. With priority mail being as cheap as it is, the cost to mail it out is pretty cheap adn effective. Don't know how this would work but I think all it woudl take is a coupel bucks for postage and a modest amount of trust in fellow man.

I'm game. Other than the hockey problem, you seem like a standup guy.....
I'd be willing to pilot such a program if you want to PM me re: the Ross book.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

I'm in. I have a few books on plyometrics, some AC stuff, and a couple of DVD's I'm willing to share. . .as long as I get them back (looking sideways at MOD).

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of The Anabolic Diet by Mauro Di Pasquale, but not willing to shell out $40 for a copy, especially if I end up hating it.

Im in.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Allen Yeh

I'd be game for contributing what meager collection I have.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
. . .as long as I get them back (looking sideways at MOD).
Maybe we should lowjack the books before shipping off to a certain person?

You can never really trust a Red Sox fan...
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

I have stuff to contribute as well. I can see three models:
- Completely decentralized: Everyone keeps their own books and ships them to whomever wants one. Either the shipper can pay the shipping fee (knowing that when s/he gets a book from someone else, his shipping fee is essentially paid back by not having to pay for the shipment of that book) or people have to Paypal/personal check money back and forth.
- Regional reps: Have a person in charge of keeping stacks of books and mailing them out. They'd have to have some way of collecting shipping fees and ensuring that the books came back to them.
- Completely centralized: Robb/Greg hold onto the books and take care of all shipping and collection.

I vote for a decentralized model. If we can just keep a running tally of what books we have, how many of each are available (for instance, 3 Zone books, 1 in use = 2 available), and who has them, the system should handle itself. We're all standup folks.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Default hehe

I'm in for the decentralized model. If it turns out that there's enough interest, we can go through and make a list of the titles we're willing to share and the contact info. Good stuff
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

i'm into the decentralized approach as well. last thing i need is more things to do. what i would be willing to do, however, is setup a system that would allow everyone to basically insert and track their stocks so someone looking for a book would know who has it, etc. probably create a quick and easy way to select a book and get the present holder paid for shipping through paypal.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
Jamila Bey

maybe we should all join titletrader.com

It's a book exchange where you pay for shipping, but so does everyone else. So it works out even in the end... You can choose to ship or not and there's feedback and everything.

If we all knew each other's user names and agreed to ship our fitness titles to each other instead of outsiders, we could use their infrastructure for our purposes. And maybe get rid of other crap too!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote