Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
I own a CrossFit affiliate, and we regularly include low-rep Oly work (not ground-to-overhead)) in our programming. Both my partner and I have followed Catalyst training cycles for anywhere from 3-6 months at a time to great gains. We have entered Oly competitions and will continue to do so.

This is a good opportunity for members of CrossFit gyms to get a taste of a real Oly competition with real judging and standards, even if that competition is one part of a greater event. I would bring my whole gym if this was closer to home.

On a side note, I have never personally met anyone though CF who would not thoroughly enjoy watching an elite Oly lifter out-lift the field and proceed to crush the "Triplet".
I 2nd this. I've really seen the same in few local affiliates that are really smart and good, the main programming being oly, with "metcons" alternating on days. So just to remind people, not all CF affiliates are douchey as they're sold to be on the INTRA NET.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
Geoffrey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
So what about sprinters, jumpers, and other athletes who use Oly lifts to train for their sport? Does this mean they can't learn the lifts properly unless they start becoming weightlifters?
They typically use the lifts at least once a week, which is all he seems to be demanding. Often they only do power variants, which are much less demanding of technique. Compare, however, to typical CF-style programming, which might have them pop up every couple weeks in something like the triplet in this competition. You can't learn the lifts if that's all you're doing. I think that's what he's saying.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I've worn this out on 70sBig, but here is my main problem with it:

"My beef is gerrymandering your way onto the podium.

USAW is hard up for cash and lifters. They want to draw from the CF community. Fine. Put on a meet that is FREE for everybody that buys a USAW card. Let the CFers lift in a real WL event with real WLers. The real lifters won't start until the CFers are done, so the newbies can watch the pros do their thing.

After the meet, have a 2-hour clinic with a resident coach and a resident athlete or two and then a happy hour mixer where everyone gets to talk over food and drink. Eleiko would pay for the whole damn thing because they could sell $10K in training bars and plates that afternoon (hell, CFers bought a monolift).

This wouldn't cost the USAW anything but time. They'd get exposure, and their athletes could develop a following (every CFer knows Sage, Casey, and Natalie Woolfolk). USAW blew it.

Everyone who competes in WL knows that your first few meets are all about watching and learning from experienced lifters. CF athletes won't get to do this because the format will keep the real lifters away.

The only groups that will gain from this are Eleiko and CF, Inc."
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Quote:
So what about sprinters, jumpers, and other athletes who use Oly lifts to train for their sport? Does this mean they can't learn the lifts properly unless they start becoming weightlifters?
Well, I could always fall back on the definition that triathletes used when I was into that.

After not competing in triathlons for one year, then one wasn't considered a triathlete anymore. The same could easily be said for weightlifters...as opposed to those simply using the WLs in their training.

In terms of learning the lifts properly, that takes devoted time and effort. Doing the Burgener warm-up with PVC before a metcon? No.

I really equate a snatch to something like a golf swing (with a crapload of weight). It is most important that it is done correctly and consistently. Take from that analogy what you will--and note I distinctly dislike golf for completely different reasons.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Geoffrey Thompson

Dammit, this makes me as mad as the new Star Wars trilogy does (not the initial anger, the residual anger I still have to this day). WHY, GEORGE LUCAS, WHY? Fortunately, this will fade out of my consciousness quite soon, but I'm surprised it has gotten to me so much in the short term. I have a LOT of residual hatred for the new trilogy (and the changes to the old trilogy).
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Well, I could always fall back on the definition that triathletes used when I was into that.

After not competing in triathlons for one year, then one wasn't considered a triathlete anymore. The same could easily be said for weightlifters...as opposed to those simply using the WLs in their training.

In terms of learning the lifts properly, that takes devoted time and effort. Doing the Burgener warm-up with PVC before a metcon? No.

I really equate a snatch to something like a golf swing (with a crapload of weight). It is most important that it is done correctly and consistently. Take from that analogy what you will--and note I distinctly dislike golf for completely different reasons.
Well, I've been training OL 3x a week with a highly reputed coach. I'd like to think that I've been learning the lifts seeing as my technique and my weights have improved steadily, but I don't consider myself a weightlifter.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #27
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Well, I've been training OL 3x a week with a highly reputed coach. I'd like to think that I've been learning the lifts seeing as my technique and my weights have improved steadily, but I don't consider myself a weightlifter.
If you aren't competing and don't plan on competing, I don't think you're in much danger of being referred to as a weightlifter.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #28
Steve Shafley

I really waffle between agreeing with Gant and not giving a damn.

The USAW is similar to most olympic sport governing bodies in the US. It's a slow, somewhat corrupt, old boys club desperately trying to hold onto the good old days that are now 40+ years in the past.

Unwilling to take the steps necessary to re-popularize the sport. Crossfit must seem like a cash cow and a savior to them, if they can just close their eyes and think of Bob Bednarski.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #29
James Evans

I think a large number of Couchites would benefit from attempting to emulate the efforts of this woman:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/wrestling/8822737.stm

without tacking on a triplet of double unders, virtual shovelling and thrusters to every game of softball they participate in.

Learn and participate in new sports anyone?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Learn and participate in new sports anyone?
This is one of the best lines to come out of CF, and sadly, the most ignored.