Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Rafe Kelley

Default Best Resources for Understanding Plyometrics

Hey guys I am trying to get a better handle on how plyometric training effects the body and how people have programmed it effectively for athletes.

As traceur it seems obvious parkour is highly plyometric in nature so I always feel leary about adding in more rebounding high impact activities but I feel like understanding plyometrics how their used and how the work with greater depth would help me program parkour training more effectively to produce the adoptions I am looking for.

Any good resources you can recomend beyond the usually here is basic plyo program that will make you jump good.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Donald Lee

If you're interested in buying a book, here's the sole Amazon review for Dr. Yessis' recent book called "Explosive Plyometrics." The review also mentions 2 other well known books on plyometrics.

Quote:
This book is by far the best book on plyometrics. I own "Jumping into Plyometrics" by Dr. Chu and "High Powered Plyometrics" by Radcliffe but this book does a better job explaining and prescribing exercises. I believe this book was orginally made 15 years ago and it has been updated but still has better info than the other two books. If you want do jump higher, sprinter faster, jump further there are exercises prescribed for each one and gives reps and sets for each.

If you are a coach like I am this is a big help and what I like is he gives you the exercises that actually work. IF you read the other two books "Jumping into Plyometrics" or "High Powered Plyometrics" there are so many different exercises listed you have no idea which ones to use. There is a short section in the back for positions in Chu's book that is nice but some exercise prescribed sometimes are't "real" plyos.

By far the best book out there and I recommend this book over the others. The only downside is there could be some more pictures but it works.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Mark Fenner

I forget whether or not I've flipped through Chu's books. I can't really recommend them one way or the other, but I have a slightly negative vibe about them (too academic for what you are -- probably -- looking for).

If you want to develop lower-body power for jumping, I highly recommend Kelly Baggett's "Vertical Jump Development Bible". It's available here: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/ . Incidentally, this is probably in my top five or ten training books of all time. Seriously. It is well worth the money ($40). KB also has a large number of free articles to either get your started or to evaluate if you like his style.

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Rafe Kelley

I don't mind academic I am about to go through Zatsiorsky again and will try to tackle siff and verkoshansky after that. Something like practical programming but for plyo's would be perfect.

The goal is not to build a plyo program but to clean the princeples of adaption behind plyometric methods so I can apply to programming parkour training more effectively.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley View Post
I don't mind academic I am about to go through Zatsiorsky again and will try to tackle siff and verkoshansky after that. Something like practical programming but for plyo's would be perfect.

The goal is not to build a plyo program but to clean the princeples of adaption behind plyometric methods so I can apply to programming parkour training more effectively.
Donald Chu is a well-respected researcher. I'm pretty sure he does some coaching as well. Anyways, most large bookstores carry his book, so you can flip through it.

All the Ultimate Athlete Concepts books are in the $45-65 dollar range, so they're somewhat pricey. I don't have the "Explosive Plyometrics" book, so I couldn't tell you what I think of it. Many of Yessis' more specialized books have gotten bad reviews.

Verkhoshansky is a tough read. He has his own vocabulary, so sometimes, it's difficult to tell what he's talking about. The translations are also not always great. I've only read his "The Block Training in Endurance Running" E-book, which was translated by his daughter. It was actually a great translation, but again, unless you're familiar with his lingo, it's tough to figure out what he's saying. I am imagine the Charniga translations are pretty bad. I have two of Verkhoshansky's older books that Charniga translated, but I don't think it'd be the best use of most people's time to tackle those until they've done a lot of other reading. It's too bad he never got around to updating his "Special Strength Training Book" before passing away. It appears that his daughter will publish some of his unreleased work though.

In his updated version of "Supertraining", he wrote much about shock training and I think plyometrics. Since he is the father of shock training, you might want to get that book. You should know that everything in that book is not up-to-date though, such as the section on energy systems. It's also more of an encyclopedia than anything. I'd say Zatsiorsky's book is about 10x more practical than "Supertraining." "Supertraining" could be good bathroom reading though.

Last edited by Donald Lee : 07-20-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: accidentally wrote that Bompa translated
Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

Shock training is plyometrics.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Donald Lee
This message has been deleted by Donald Lee.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Shock training is plyometrics.
Not that this really matters much, but here's something from the Supertraining list:

Quote:
shock training methods *do* represent a intensification of the sporting
movement. The rest of "plyometrics" , jumps , hops and so are not really
"shock" method of training.

What is termed at plyometrics in West is many time a dilution of Verkhoshanky;s
original shock methods, and an attempt to encompass all those drills under the
same name is IMO wrong.
There are people who debate the semantics of all this: shock training, plyometrics, "true plyometrics," etc. I don't think it's a big deal though.