Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Derek Simonds

Just in the for what its worth category, I hate 50/50 as played in tournaments to stall.

Just in the short time you have been logging your workouts here Leon I have had to ask for clarification on some names. BJJ is evolving fast that's for sure.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Just in the for what its worth category, I hate 50/50 as played in tournaments to stall.

Just in the short time you have been logging your workouts here Leon I have had to ask for clarification on some names. BJJ is evolving fast that's for sure.
it's a funny position, but what's weird is when people actually go there to play it, not planning on stalling. the 50/50 in gi tournaments has always seemed weird seeing as how you're not allowed to heel hook in the first place. granted there are a lot of other submissions to grab off of it, but it's like getting in an armbar position if the armbar was made illegal.

this is one of the stupidest matches i have ever seen. cobrinha vs. mendes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ZhzMWi9VI

with that said, i have a lot of fun in the 50/50 nogi when heel hooks are available, but at my new club we're not allowed to heel hook at all, so i just don't bother.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
it's a funny position, but what's weird is when people actually go there to play it, not planning on stalling. the 50/50 in gi tournaments has always seemed weird seeing as how you're not allowed to heel hook in the first place. granted there are a lot of other submissions to grab off of it, but it's like getting in an armbar position if the armbar was made illegal.

this is one of the stupidest matches i have ever seen. cobrinha vs. mendes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ZhzMWi9VI

with that said, i have a lot of fun in the 50/50 nogi when heel hooks are available, but at my new club we're not allowed to heel hook at all, so i just don't bother.
Yep agree totally about the Cobrinha match. I think he wrote an article or blog post about how people are ruining BJJ with this type of fighting. I can't remember who it was that wrote the article actually but it was recent.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Leon Robotham

When I read the post from Derek that is the exact fight I was going to post. It's very boring and it seems like the match goes to whoever gets the first sweep because after that it's stall city.

You're right Derek and because of this i've decided that i'm just going to tape the techniques and then link them to my log. They'll all be linked via my FB page and I think everybody should be able to see them, but if not just shoot me a friend request.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote