Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Still can't hollow out my handstand

I've been putting a lot of time in trying to hollow out my handstand more. I've mostly done this work against the wall since i can use it to open my shoulders more, but when freestanding, my shoulders still close up so much. i posted a pic to show the shoulder angle and back arch

the only way i can get straighter freestanding right now is to point my head straight down (and look the same direction as my belly button). this allows me to get my shoulders along/behind my ears. when i do this though, my wrists and shoulders tend to lock in place, and i can't adjust my balance with them.

i'm considering lowering the handstand work and focusing on planches (something i haven't worked on in a while) just to gain more strength in my shoulder flexors. i think that this could help resist my lats which are tight.

any thoughts on how to open my shoulders up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36649_1452970358051_1047041710_1411140_6771742_n.jpg (68.4 KB, 19 views)
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Could be tight pecs/lats.. or rounded t-spine.

Make sure you're actively pushing the arms up and forcing the armpit out.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Coach Sommer

Default Additional Planche Work Will Exacerbate the Problem

Quote:
... I'm considering lowering the handstand work and focusing on planches (something i haven't worked on in a while) just to gain more strength in my shoulder flexors. i think that this could help resist my lats which are tight ...
At this stage in your development, additional planche work will only serve to make your shoulder ROM issue worse.

There are a myriad of movements available to address your problem. Two of the simplest are under-grip hangs and wall extensions. The essay through the link will address the wall extensions and the under-grip hangs are simplicity itself. Simply hang in an under-grip (hands curling under the bar in preparation for a chin-up) as opposed to an over-hand grip (hands curling over the bar in preparation for a pull-up) for time. Begin with 3x15 seconds three to four days per week and gradually build up the time per set from there.

To be the most effective it is important that you focus on completely relaxing the shoulder girdle and back allowing them to lengthen and stretch. Depending on your particular physical condition, you may also strongly feel this stretch in your wrists and elbows.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

GymnasticBodies.com
Coach Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

If you're practicing with your back to the wall, that won't help your issue. More face to wall practice, getting your hands as close to the wall as possible.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Definitely don't do wall handstands with your back to the wall, as Garrett said. Those ones are garbage and teach you poor positioning.

You may also consider stretching the hip flexors, if yours are particularly tight. That can pull your hips into such an anteriorly rotated position that it makes it difficult to hollow without piking (which throws your legs off center). So, to counteract that, you arch the back rather than hollow (which is bad). It's helped me in the past, but your mileage may vary.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Sommer View Post
At this stage in your development, additional planche work will only serve to make your shoulder ROM issue worse.

There are a myriad of movements available to address your problem. Two of the simplest are under-grip hangs and wall extensions. The essay through the link will address the wall extensions and the under-grip hangs are simplicity itself. Simply hang in an under-grip (hands curling under the bar in preparation for a chin-up) as opposed to an over-hand grip (hands curling over the bar in preparation for a pull-up) for time. Begin with 3x15 seconds three to four days per week and gradually build up the time per set from there.

To be the most effective it is important that you focus on completely relaxing the shoulder girdle and back allowing them to lengthen and stretch. Depending on your particular physical condition, you may also strongly feel this stretch in your wrists and elbows.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

GymnasticBodies.com
I tried this since i generally don't do much supinated, overhead pulling. furthermore, i never really do a relaxed deadhang when supinated either. when i fully relaxed in this position, i felt a tremendous amount of pressure on my wrists. i could mitigate it by flexing and exerting a small pull, but then i wasn't really relaxing. taking a baseball bat grip (one under, one over) allowed me to relax while only stretching one lat.

at first i felt my shoulder slipping into the impinging position, but after going about it slowly, i could see it being helpful after a few weeks/months. i'm guessing i won't be able to see great improvements until the pressure in my wrists decreases.

i'll take a new photo after some time and see if the angle is better.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Coach Sommer

Default Modifying the Under-grip Hang

Quote:
when i fully relaxed in this position, i felt a tremendous amount of pressure on my wrists.
The intensity of this stretch can be moderated by self spotting with your feet lightly pressing on the ground during the hang as needed. Be careful however to not over-spot.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

GymnasticBodies.com
Coach Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Grissim Connery

update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0f0SdD_QH4

the first 10s or so i'm pretty arched just to catch my balance. after that it cleans up.

i hurt my wrist about 2 months ago, and i had to work planches since i could turn my hands around and take pressure off of my wrists. anyways i just started handstands up again this past week. even so, i was able to hollow out better than i normally do, and this was just dicking around in the library without warming up.

my shoulders are still more closer than i'd like. i guess it just takes a loooong time to correct that.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Head is out too much... that's causing you to want to arch.

Need to stretch out lats/pecs more.

If REALLY want a correct handstand you should be doing them against the wall until you can hit perfect body position at kick up. Kicking up into an arch then trying to correct it is too much work and still reinforces bad habits
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Troy Kerr

Grissim, I have the same trouble when kicking up into my freestanding handstands. Mainly I think it is due to just being as comfortable as possible in a handstand to become more aware of whats going on with your body. Like Steven said though, wall drills seem to help tremendously. They allow me to focus on individually on staying hollowed out, keeping my glutes and legs contracted and thinking about reaching straight up and trying to get as tall as possible.But as much as wall holds help, I still have to practice freestanding twice as much to ground those fundamentals down.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote