Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Brad Gibbs

Thanks again for the input.

I think I'm going to go with the beginning barbell workout Lyle McDonald outlines in the Beginner's thread. It's more-or-less what I've been doing for the past month (same exercises, but more sets and one more time per week). I think I might keep the reps to 5-8, though - a compromise between McDonald's approach and Starting Strength (and also what McDonald recommends in another article on his site).

If I have the energy, is there any harm in adding a few runs per week on non-lifting days?

Once I'm in better shape, I might re-evaluate CF.

Brad
Brad Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Donald Lee

These are some generic principles when dieting:

1. The fatter you are the more energy you'll have.

2. The larger the deficit the less energy you'll have.

3. Generally, adding insane amounts of activity when dieting is not smart, even if you're fat.

4. If you're small (like 135 lbs or less), you probably have to add some cardio to have fat loss at a decent rate.

5. There is no reason to switch from low-moderate reps to high reps. Heavy weights helps to maintain muscle mass.

6. If you want to go from couch potato to fit guy/gal, you should look long term and do a moderate/sustainable diet that involves a lifestyle change. You're not going to lose weight and get fit fast.

7. Rapid fat loss to start a long-term diet could be helpful with dietary compliance.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Derek Weaver

Well said Donald. Though I have no problem with 8s. I figure for most, 8s are plenty heavy to maintain muscle mass. I don't do them with few exceptions, mainly because I don't like to.

Brad,
I would absolutely not run on non lifting days until you've a) established a decent enough strength base again- it's more important than anything else, b) consistently upped the intensity and length of several times/week walks.

Seriously, scoot, then crawl, then walk. Whether you're in great shape coming off a 3-6 week injury (this progression may be over the course of a week, but it does or at least should take place), or are de-conditioned and lacking with regards to body composition (looking at a couple months).

Don't fall into the CF trap of "it's okay to be a pussy". Do be scared. Being unscared gets your hurt.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Brad Gibbs

I bought and read Rapid Fat Loss today. Seems like a wise place to start -- very well researched and documented. I will stick to walking for 30-45 minutes / day (as permitted by RFL).

I have another question about DXA scans, but, that belongs in a separate thread.

Thanks for all the help!

Brad
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

May as well keep it in this thread. If that topic takes off, one of our noble Moderators can move it into its own.

If you got a question related to your situation, ask away.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gibbs View Post
I bought and read Rapid Fat Loss today. Seems like a wise place to start -- very well researched and documented. I will stick to walking for 30-45 minutes / day (as permitted by RFL).

I have another question about DXA scans, but, that belongs in a separate thread.

Thanks for all the help!

Brad
Content in the book is spot on, can't really say I care for his writing style though.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #17
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gibbs View Post
I'm not opening my own CF, I was planning to join a nearby CF box on Monday, but, you've got me re-thinking things.
I hope so.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Brad Gibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Content in the book is spot on, can't really say I care for his writing style though.
I agree about the writing style -- it's a bit rambling and the number of "Quite in fact"s is rather off-putting / distracting. But, if it gets the job done...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Brad Gibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
If you got a question related to your situation, ask away.
*** NOTE: I cross-posted this to the Rapid Fat Loss forum on Lyle McDonald's site. I feel like the quality of the responses and the knowledge on this forum is better, despite the fact that the other site is a better fit for the subject matter ***

I had a DEXA scan on July 21. I knew I wasn't in great shape and I needed to do something about it. That was supposed to be the before picture -- but it became more of a wake-up call / reality check.

I was told by the operator who performed the DEXA (now DXA?) scan that body fat percentage readings by DEXA are significantly higher than readings produced by calipers or impedance (at least impedance measurement on a home scale).

She said that she's only seen three sub-10% readings in her 6 years, and one of them was a guy with a rare wasting disease who couldn't keep weight on. She said most competitive athletes (cyclists, marathoners and tri-athletes) she sees are 10-15%. Most "fit" people (her term, not sure what it means) are 15-20% and average is low- to mid-twenties. Does this ring true with anyone else?

My reading was 27.2%. She assured me that that's on the high side of normal. I'm trying to confirm that by looking at various sources in books and around the Internet.

I've seen posts on the Body Recomposition forums stating that DEXA does result in higher numbers than other methods, but also that it's the most accurate.

On page 31 of RFL, there's a chart that puts people in category 1, 2 or 3, based on body fat percentages. So, my question (finally) is: Does my 27.2% DEXA body fat put me in Category 3? Or, should some kind of adjustment be made because that measurement was attained using DEXA? I've tried using the Accu Measure, but I can't get anything close to repeatable results. My body scale (Withings) is a cool idea, but, I can make it go up or down 3% within 15 minutes, without drinking, eating or voiding (weighing my self immediately after voiding, first thing in the morning vs. 15 minutes later). And, it only measures the lower body. So, I don't feel like I can rely on that, either. It gives me readings between 20% and 23%.

Also, as a follow-on, can anyone point me to some table of averages for body fat percentages measured by DEXA? Since it's an opt-in program (that isn't inexpensive), there's some self-selection process there and I think the tendency is for leaner-than-average people to have the test. As a result, the official data is skewed toward a thinner population. I'm hoping to find some relative comparison between a DEXA result and the general populace so I can accurately assess just how bad the before picture is.

Based on information I've seen around the web, I think I'm aiming for 10-14% fat. I'm approaching 38 and I have no plans to enter any powerlifting or bodybuilding competitions -- I just want to be healthier and feel more comfortable in my own skin. So, I'm trying to get a sense of whether I need to lose 13%+ (27% - 14%) to enter that comfortable range, or some amount less than that. Without knowing what I've seen, I know there's no way any of you can answer that, but, that's where I'm coming from.

Thanks for any input.

Brad
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
Steve Shafley

The issue is that over on Lyle's support site, there's only a small number of people who really know what they are doing, i.e. Lyle, and the rest are all looking for help too.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote