Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
james forshaw

Default Getting round the deadlift

My lower back has not exactly been my best friend over the last few months. To cut a long story short, I had to quit squats, deads, strenuous metcons and anything that was going to irritate it for a long time. Combined with visits to a chiro, ice, tennis ball therapy, stretches, lumbar support at night and just being careful, I managed to finally get it pain-free up until the week before last....

The last few weeks I started working in upper body strength training, with the occasional back-friendly metcon, which was fine. What I discovered was that the Clean position was painless, and I could easily clean enough for my sets of hang power cleans that I was tentatively doing. Clearly, bent legs and a vertical torso was fine. So on the last set, I decided (as it was light weight) to deadlift the bar... and immediately the injury resurfaced. Luckily with immediate ice, massage and rest the pain wasn't so intense and I'm sure it'll be gone in a couple of days. It hit me there and then that I may never be able to deadlift ever again. Clean, yes, but I don't think my posterior chain will be able to stand a deadlift. So I did a bit of reading round and found that there are elite O-lifters who never deadlift. This was massive news to me.

I'm forever interchanging Crossfit with strength programmes just because I enjoy variety, but my squat and clean will have plummeted thanks to all the rest, so I intend to start rebuilding my strength base once my lower back is completely pain-free. I tweaked the Onus Wunsler variation of Starting Strength so that instead of deadlifts, I'll do twice the amount of power cleans. It looks like this:

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Push Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chin-ups 3xMax

What do you guys think? I reckon the dynamic nature of cleans and similar positioning will be more than enough to compensate for the absence of deadlifts. Would inclusion of glute ham raises be beneficial for my posterior chain strength? I don't have access to a reverse hyper machine unfortunately, as they look pretty good.

I think my biggest problem will be upping the weight of the cleans more regularly than normal. One idea I had was perhaps doing e.g. 85kg 3x3, then 5x3 at the same weight, then 87.5kg 3x3, then 5x3 so increases happen over 2 workouts instead of one. Sound good, or any better suggestions?

Quite a long one, I'd appreciate any feedback whatsoever.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
John Alston

what are you even trying to accomplish anyway?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Andrew Wilson
Banned

sounds like you may have some very tight hamstrings. do you have pain doing RDLs? that'll be interesting to look into if you're not have having any disc issues or something else.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
james forshaw

John - recovery of base strength, did I not mention that? Once back to normal, Crossfit Football.

Andrew - yes, my hamstrings are incredibly tight. I'm working on them with daily sets of dynamic high-kicks but progress is slow. I'm a good 8-9 inches off being able to touch my toes.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Tell us more about your injury. What was the diagnosis/treatment/etc.? How did it go? What remaining issues do you have? Being pain free for 2 weeks after prolonged time-off due to injuries does not mean you should start doing strength training again. Lack of pain does not mean lack of injury/problems.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

What? Dynamic high kicks aren't going to do jack for chronically tight hamstrings.

In the meantime, I'm going to give you a secret: There's a stretching protocol called "Microstretching" that tends to work dramatically with the chronically tight.

1. Lay down on your back with both legs in a doorway.
2. Lift the leg to be stretched and put it up on the wall. The other leg remains straight on the floor.
3. Scoot your hips closer to the door frame until you are stretching very mildly. It's hard to determine, but it's around a 40% of the maximal perceived stretch. It shouldn't hurt, it shouldn't pull, it should be up there and just lightly stretched.
4. Allow the stretch to continue for 60s or more.
5. Repeat the other leg.
6. Stretch each leg 3x all total.
7. For chronic tightness, perform this at least 3x daily.

Yeah, it's a big chunk of time, but it can be dramatically effective. I'd give it a 2 week run to see if it's going to work for you.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by james forshaw View Post
John - recovery of base strength, did I not mention that? Once back to normal, Crossfit Football.

Andrew - yes, my hamstrings are incredibly tight. I'm working on them with daily sets of dynamic high-kicks but progress is slow. I'm a good 8-9 inches off being able to touch my toes.
if you're going to play football, i'd take whatever course of action to fix your hamstrings, tight hamstrings cause all manner of evil things to happen especially if you're playing field sports. also, RDL's are great even at light poundages for rehabbing backs and stretching hamstrings.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
james forshaw

Steve - I do dynamic high kicks as part of a hip mobility drill. Why would they be advocated if they weren't going to help my flexibility? Is static stretching the only way to lengthen the hamstrings?

Dave - I'm not going to play football or rugby or anything similar. CFFB is just a great way to train for broad fitness. Apart from the occasional game of soccer, all I plan on doing is training for GPP with a leaning toward strength, particularly in the squat and power clean.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
james forshaw

Donald - it was a strange one. At first the chiro said I had a functional imbalance due to a slight scoliosis which meant my left leg was a tiny bit longer than my right. This was after a month, maybe two, of a pretty diffuse but severe ache to the left of my lumbar spine. She said my back muscles were incredibly tense and that I have to stop leaning on my left leg and sitting on my left cheek all the time. We got all the knots out with a combination of therapies and I began tennis ball therapy and stretching to keep myself loose. Eventually, the pain subsided enough for it to become clear where the origin was. Using Steven Low's info on Eat Move Improve, I could run my finger along my left iliac crest and pinpoint the pain on my left SI joint. I iced this area for days and kept my body aligned when standing and sitting, and didn't involve my hips in anything strenuous until the pain disappeared, which lasted for about a fortnight. Then that light deadlift derailed everything again...

Thing is though, when it was pain-free, cleaning was fine. Admittedly it was light weight (around bodyweight) just to get the bar into position for HPCs, but even so the upright torso shifted the work to the quads and not the posterior chain allowing me keep the strain off my lower back. I wouldn't dream of doing power cleans during a metcon for a long time, and I haven't been happy doing deadlifts during metcons for a long time (it's asking for trouble IMO). But for singles and doubles, I think it'd be fine. Squatting without weight was also fine when pain-free, although not when I was hurting. I was greasing the groove with extended Third World squats for a while which really helped wih positioning. If I was to start the plan I outlined above, the starting weights would be extremely low, allowing my back to adapt at its own pace. It's just so hard to know when to get back into things because when your pain has disappeared how are you supposed to know when you can work out again?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Donald Lee

So are you saying that you're done getting treated by the chiro?

I'd consider getting looked at by a Structural Integration guy, depending on whether you feel like there are any lingering movement or even structural issues.

If you don't feel like you need to get any professional help anymore, I'd just stick with light weights for about a month and not try to get stronger. I'd focus on making sure that your movement patterns don't get all screwed up.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote