Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 08-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #61
Joe Hlasnik

Wow man, that's terrible.

When I eventually move to Cranberry I'm going to have to avoid the Y out there for my work outs.

They honestly kicked you out for deadlifting? And you were in a power rack with safety bars and had the nerve to kick you out for squatting without a spotter?

I do whatever I want at the Y in Robinson for the most part, I generally go in before work too and the place is empty. They have a tennis court area next to the weight room where I can get some 50ish meter sprints in, and have a heavy tire I can flip. I've never had anyone say anything to me for bringing in my stuff either so in the morning I'll have my rings from the power rack and no one has said anything whether I wore my chucks or squated in socks. I think the one in Wexford wouldn't be bad either, but I've only gone there a dozen times. Have you thought about buying you're own equipment for at home?

I know how you feel thought I love Pittsburgh but the idea of living somewhere else is appealing. If you want come down to the Y in Robinson some time let me know, not sure if you work out that way at all.
Joe Hlasnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #62
Jarod Barker

Cranberry's Y is attempting to make it into a country club. That's why they won't accept anyone who is a member at another Y, and the facility is probably the nicest Y anywhere. I chose it simply because it's the nicest pool I've ever seen, and it's on my way to work. It's all old people though, I mean, senior citizens old, so they're really uppity and you can get in trouble for anything, and I mean, anything at all. One time I was told I had to slow my treadmill down because I was sweating all over the belt. The worst one though is still the five fingers incident. I was jogging on the indoor track to warm up, when I noticed one of the employees staring at me. He walked away and came back with a buddy. Then they walked away and came back with a manager. I was stopped and told that I couldn't wear those kind of shoes in here. When I asked why, they told me that they would damage the floor, and that because of my insistence on breaking the rules, I would have to leave. I swear I was totally calm and not a jerk about it.

In any case, I still wear my fivefingers, but you just have to pay attention to which employees are there. Most of them are ok with just about anything, but there are a few who take their job a little too seriously. e.g. one of the lifeguards lets me take my kettlebell into the pool, yet in the gym area one of the attendants says I'm not allowed to move the dumbbells more than 10 ft from the DB rack.

I'm sure you already know this, but alot of the people in Cranberry can be very snobbish and high and mighty. I think that's why the Y there is so overly serious.

I'm in the process of finishing my home gym, I've got kettlebells, kegs, 2x Pendlay bars, about 600lbs of bumper plates, stud pull up bar, but back to the original problem, no coach. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. Clearly, a bad coach is worse than no coach at all, but I'd really like to have a good coach to work with one of these days. I think I'd make alot more progress.

I'm not in Robinson much, but when you move to Cranberry, give me a shout, I'm just across the border on Freedom Rd.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #63
Yael Grauer

LOL at your gym experience. I got in trouble for wearing sandals to a gym once (so much for barefoot deadlifting) so I wore my holiest Nike Frees the next day. But really if I somehow manage to drop a barbell on my foot, I don't think any shoes would really protect me.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #64
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
LOL at your gym experience. I got in trouble for wearing sandals to a gym once (so much for barefoot deadlifting) so I wore my holiest Nike Frees the next day. But really if I somehow manage to drop a barbell on my foot, I don't think any shoes would really protect me.
I've never understood that at all, they have issues with my vibrams....its like if I had sneakers and dropped something hard enough on my foot to sever my toe...the sneakers won't magically keep my toe attached...
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #65
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I've never understood that at all, they have issues with my vibrams....its like if I had sneakers and dropped something hard enough on my foot to sever my toe...the sneakers won't magically keep my toe attached...
Hahaha, exactly. My uncle works with oxen. He actually prefers to work with them barefoot. I asked him why once, and he explained to me that even if you were wearing steel toe boots, it wouldn't save your toes. I guess the moral of the story is at some point the weight exceeds a point where anything could protect you.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #66
Jamie J. Skibicki

As far as gyms, I'll talk to Lronezo. He used to work at CF threee rivers before schnieder went to Iraq (used to be a decent affliate on freedom crier road in the sports complex). THere used to be a half decent gym in Seven feilds right off the high way (Well not quite RIGHT, just past the chick filet).

Not sure where you work, but in town there is the JCC (bumpers and a decent crew at the right times, it's also where I train). THere is Champions, which is where John Dennis trains (Strong man competitor) though hes going to be heading up to breidgeville more often. Hibler shut down PFC after a pretty bad flood, not sure when it's going to re open. If you are going out there, you can go over to Wrights gym in carnegie (about 1.5 miles closer to town than PFC). Rowers, racks, mostly BB meatheads, but the old guy behind the counter deadlifted 405 for reps at 70 year old and he can't weight more than 180.

If you want fighting, the muay thau and BJJ school that was at south hills judo moved to Wrights, so you can do that there as well. THere is also South Hills Judo, THere is a kick ass judo school int he soccer/sports center on freedom crier road (Eugene is REALLY good) and theres another BJJ school out on library road whose name always eludes me. Also very top notch.

THere's another couple of powerlifting gyms in the area, mostly in town and a bit south. SO yeah, what are you looking to train for?
Jamie J. Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #67
Jarod Barker

Hey Jamie, I've been talking to Lorenzo on facebook. I used to coach at 3 Rivers CF. I was there when it first opened, and left one month before it closed. It's about 2 miles from my house. I know Eugene Kim very well too. Are you thinking of Fitness Factory in Seven Fields?

All I'm looking for is a good coach. I've got more bumpers than I could even clean, kettlebells, tires, punching bags, etc all in my garage. But what I'm lacking is a coach to help me bring it all together.

Dr. G recommended I follow Wendler 531, so I'm going to do that for a few months while I give my CNS a chance to recover, but I think I need to find a quality coach or else I'm going to end up back in the same rut again.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #68
Jamie J. Skibicki

I did train out there once, not sure if you were there. We did 5 round 15 95lb over squats and 500 meter rows. Tall bald guy.
Jamie J. Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #69
Jarod Barker

Hmmm, not sure, was there a short guy with a huge mohawk yelling at everyone? I'm hard to miss.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #70
Jarod Barker

I just needed a few moments for my brain to catch up. I do remember you! And I remember that workout.... That was our substitute for Nancy because we weren't allowed to run. The guy that owned the property wasn't very accommodating.