Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Troy Kerr

Default Box jumps

I am interested in improving my max box jump. I am currently at 38inchs. I train upper-body statics 3-4 days a week and add my leg work at the end of the routine. I was wondering what is the best way to go about improving my box jump. I am currently experimenting with using percentages of this number ( 55% x5 for warmups, then a set at 65, 75, and 85). So far its been giving me a pretty decent workout, I alternate box jump days with pistol days, and always finish up with some of coach sommers natural body curls.
A side note, performing the box jumps towards the end of my workout dosent really effect my ability to do them.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Besides what you're doing right now: Deadlifts and back squats.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Will Peterson

Joe DeFranco wrote a solid article on improving vertical jumps:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...cal-jumps.html

This is not a be all end all or exhaustive look at all potential exercises, but Mike Guandango's impressive vertical ability developed in DeFranco's gym.
Will Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
I am interested in improving my max box jump. I am currently at 38inchs. I train upper-body statics 3-4 days a week and add my leg work at the end of the routine. I was wondering what is the best way to go about improving my box jump. I am currently experimenting with using percentages of this number ( 55% x5 for warmups, then a set at 65, 75, and 85). So far its been giving me a pretty decent workout, I alternate box jump days with pistol days, and always finish up with some of coach sommers natural body curls.
A side note, performing the box jumps towards the end of my workout dosent really effect my ability to do them.
http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/7855/#60586 wfs

There was also some pdf I found awhile back written by an otc weightlifting coach that was tailored to be added to an oly program it was mainly depth jumps in sets of 10. It worked really well, I added about 5 inches to mine in 4 weeks will see if I can find it
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...Depth_Jump.pdf wfs
Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Troy Kerr

Thanks guys. I am going over this info. right now.

Julius- I am trying to get back squats into my schedule , but I find with all the ring work I do that deadlifts really irritate my elbows.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Will Peterson

Ring work -- is that muscle ups/ gymnastics or mma/ boxing? If it is fighting, I would recommend sticking to double unders and the like with plyometrics used sparingly in season. Strength speed development out of season could be of great benefit, but otherwise you will be best served focusing on LT work and recovery from sparring. Theoretically, you could do some LT work with 2-3 min of box jumps on a reasonable short box.
Will Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Troy Kerr

No, I was referring to gymnastic work. I follow coach sommers steady state training cycle so i work a lot of handstand, planche, and levers.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Troy Kerr

Would it be wise to include any other box jumps along with depth jumps? Or would the Depth jumps in that program be enough for the day?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
Would it be wise to include any other box jumps along with depth jumps? Or would the Depth jumps in that program be enough for the day?
Just depth jumps and if anything extra, squats: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...production.pdf wfs