Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #31
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
This one sucked completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-Vvk7QMNk
Yep I agree completely. When I did the lying variant I couldn't keep my elbows together no matter what I tried. The part where you put your arms under your body did nothing for me though. When I did the test lying down my right arm just will not go past about 60 degrees without shoulder movement. Ridiculously small amount of internal rotation in that shoulder. Guess I know what my goat is now.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #32
Allen Yeh

Holding the bar like that sucked, that was a long 4 minutes and my elbows kept coming apart.

The thing with the hands behind back wasn't too bad? It was basically a glute bridge with shoulders back, and then placing the hands behind the back, then lowering down?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #33
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Holding the bar like that sucked, that was a long 4 minutes and my elbows kept coming apart.

The thing with the hands behind back wasn't too bad? It was basically a glute bridge with shoulders back, and then placing the hands behind the back, then lowering down?
That is how I did it. Didn't seem to feel it in the shoulders at all though. I will revisit along with trying some more internal rotation stuff.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #34
Garrett Smith

Regarding that shoulder rotation day.

I do DeFranco's Simple Six often, which involves the sleeper stretch (internal rotation). I had no problem with the hands-behind-back supine stretch (I do wish there were names for these things!) at all.

The external rotation + extension stretch, now that's a whole different animal. Makes me want to switch out the sleeper stretch for that one.

Actually, I'm feeling like Kstar has some really good alternatives or substitutes that I'm going to use in the Agile 8 and Simple Six (like the sideways foam rolling rather than the longways).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
Derek Simonds

I agree Garrett. I tested using the lying sleeper stretch on my right shoulder yesterday and I just have very limited internal rotation for some reason. To move past 60 degrees requires my shoulder to move which is obviously a big no-no. I am going to work aggressively on this area and see what happens.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #36
Blair Lowe

I know as well from Kstar's lying internal/external shoulder rotation that my external rotation is actually fine but my internal is lacking and needs 15-30 more degrees.

I've seen something similar to that internal shoulder rotation stretch but it was standing instead of sitting and maybe the glute bridge version cranks on it more. I didn't get much out of the standing version.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #37
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I agree Garrett. I tested using the lying sleeper stretch on my right shoulder yesterday and I just have very limited internal rotation for some reason. To move past 60 degrees requires my shoulder to move which is obviously a big no-no. I am going to work aggressively on this area and see what happens.
Derek, my right arm is more limited in IR than my left, right also has more ER ROM. Right arm is my throwing arm from baseball. I'd guess that's the big difference, I think I've read in Cressey's stuff that this is the pattern.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Throwing arm is always more IR limited (aka sleeper stretch), because you are used to winding up for pitches putting you in extreme ER, and ERs help decelerate arm after/during the throw which without proper stretching will make it tight.

Try to stabilize both arms to the same ROM. If you're right handed it tends to mean stretching ER with left, and IR with right. You're probably fine if you get within about 70-80 degrees of IR, and 80-90 with ER. If you're a bit off and have no pain I wouldn't worry about it much at all.

Capsular tightness may explain some..
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #39
Garrett Smith

That one stretch he did on the strongman day, where one leg was in deep flexion on a high table and the other leg was dangling straight down?

My suggestion is to not do that before back squats. My S/I joints felt strange (almost "unstable") when I did a minute of this each side before my squat sets last week. I did some more of this stretch afterwards, and everything was fine.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #40
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Derek, my right arm is more limited in IR than my left, right also has more ER ROM. Right arm is my throwing arm from baseball. I'd guess that's the big difference, I think I've read in Cressey's stuff that this is the pattern.
Really good points Garrett and Steven. I have great ER on the right and limited IR. Never would have put those two together with throwing.