Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Jonathan Silverman

Default ORganic eggs versus eggs

There is no real reason to buy organic eggs right?
Jonathan Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Jarod Barker

Organic eggs? No, not really. Omega-3 eggs? Yes.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Chris Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Omega-3 eggs? Yes.
Free Range? Yes
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
Free Range? Yes
Free range is often a bit of a joke, but slightly better than non free range. Organic ensures your chickens are free range, fed with organic feed, and a couple other non-essential things.

Pastured is your best bet from both a nutrition and health perspective, but far more pricey ($8/doz).

Seems expensive, until you realize that <$2 eggs means:

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/08/...h-manure-pile/
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Jarod Barker

Hmmm, I've never had access to free range. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them at the store. I usually just look for Eggland's Best Omega-3 eggs. I'm sure they're not the "best" choice, but they're they best I have available.

As for organic, I keep seeing more and more criticism of "organic" foods. It would be great if organic really meant organic, but apparently it's not very hard to get that label, and the methods are not always ideal. Still, I suppose it's better than just buying the conventional store brand.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Brian Stone

Does anyone have scientific data that they can cite on the demonstrated health benefits of free range / organic / omega-3 eggs vs. conventional eggs?

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Jarod Barker

I think in one of Robb Wolf's podcasts or blog posts he addressed the advantages of eating eggs that had omega-3s. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same reasons why grass fed, free range beef is better. You get a better omega 3 to omega 6 balance, and you get some fatty acids like CLA that the conventionally grown meat/food/eggs/dairy don't have. I'll dig around and see if I can't find an article.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
I think in one of Robb Wolf's podcasts or blog posts he addressed the advantages of eating eggs that had omega-3s. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same reasons why grass fed, free range beef is better. You get a better omega 3 to omega 6 balance, and you get some fatty acids like CLA that the conventionally grown meat/food/eggs/dairy don't have. I'll dig around and see if I can't find an article.
Thanks. My understanding is also that most of the evidence in support of organic foods / grassfed meat is largely anecdotal for the most part. There might be very marginal discernable nutritional differences for minor things in some cases (like Omega-ratios and what have you), but I believe that biological data in support of the superiority in diet is largely absent / inconclusive. I'm not extremely well-versed in the topic but I did some cursory research not too long ago to try to find anything objective in support of how I "should" eat. That failed to produce anything scientific of substance.

My personal guess at this point is that a great deal of the weight behind a number of these things is largely conjecture.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
marcus allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post

My personal guess at this point is that a great deal of the weight behind a number of these things is largely conjecture.
Take a look at the link in Darryl's thread on Grass Fed beef in this same forum.
marcus allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Jarod Barker

Well.... alot of things are largely anecdotal. I believe I heard Robb state once that the existence of the universe is largely anecdotal. But in any case, research studies have also proven alot of BS. I've seen studies where they insisted that high carb diets were better. I've seen studies that found that eating meat was bad for you. At every family gathering, my vegan cousin brings me another study "proving" that eating meat is bad.

All I can say is what works for me. Eating more omega-3s makes me feel better whether it's from drinking fish oil or eating free range grass fed beef. I noticed the difference when I switched from conventional foods to foods with more omega-3s, and when I go on vacation and don't have those foods available, I can feel the difference then too.

If you want a case study, my 66 year old uncle lives on a farm in Kentucky and all the animals are free to roam, so the eggs, dairy, beef, chickens, goats, etc are all free range and grass fed. At 66, he can still do 30 dead hang pullups. I'd like to think that his diet plays some role in his health. You don't see too many men in their 60s who can do 10 pullups let alone 30.