Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Frank Needham

Default 100% Chocolate

This is definitely an "other" topic. In my oftentimes myopic efforts to find things to eat or drink that don't cause me some type of discomfort or worry I stumbled upon 100% Ghirardelli Chocolate. And I likes it.

As a matter of fact I've taken to eating some for breakfast each and every day. Now, I'll be the first to admit that 100% is rather bitter and can also be overpowering. But, I still like it. As a matter of fact I like because it is bitter and has a powerful taste. I've always had a taste for things that are very strong. Liquor, anchovies, sardines, spicy foods, I love them all, except sugary crap. Therefore, in my world, 100% fits right in there.

Another reason I like it is because of the stimulant it contains, theobromine, not to be confused with caffeine, a substance to which I am very sensitive and can no longer drink as before in massive quantities. Don't misunderstand me, I love coffee of all kinds, I just can't drink it anymore unless it is decaf. Which is almost pointless to drink unless you make very strong like I do because one simply enjoys the taste.

I've noticed that the effect of theobromine, though an alkaloid stimulant similar to caffeine, is very different and much easier on my system. Caffeine causes me to be very alert for a period of time, say 2-3 hours, but then a crash ensues and I get groggy for a couple hours until my system clears it. On the other hand, eating a few squares of 100% in the morning causes me to be alert throughout the day without any negative effects at all. At least for the period of time that I've been trying this out, close to 2 weeks now. My sleep is not good at all when drinking coffee either and again theobromine comes out on top in this regard and does not cause me any problems.

If anyone is interested at all by what I've had to say then try it out. I'd like to hear what others have to say about whether or not any of the same, or different effects, are experienced by anyone else trying it out.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
John Alston

99% dark chcocolate was what made me first want to try coffee.
I have had raw cacao nibs and they're ok. Lots of fiber, no sweetness. So I see this stuff in bar - is it also mixable drinkable? Sounds interesting.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

My first feeding of the day is 73% dark chocolate, 1/4 bar. I've kept that since I dropped the coffee.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Frank Needham

John, haven't tried to mix it with anything yet but I do intend to. The first thought I had was, hey, I'm gonna mix this with coffee. Decaff in my case though. I do know that it will break down readily because, you know, 100% is basically baking chocolate.

Garrett, how long have you been off coffee? To be honest, I don't even miss the stuff and I thought I'd be jonesing bad without it.

Something else I'd like to mention is that this whole thought process began with something I saw by chance in a picture post on Robb Wolf's FB page about Pralus le 100 bars: http://chocolatenote.blogspot.com/20...chocolate.html Couldn't find the actual link on his page any longer. I tried calling every chocolatier in Vegas looking for them but couldn't find them anywhere! So, I decided to try Whole Foods instead and found they have a whole range of chocolate products like nibs, cocoa nuts, bars, etc. No Pralus stuff though, too bad.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

I dig the raw cacao nibs. I blend them with coconut milk and honey or fruit as a treat (not every day.) Also raw cacao powder with coconut oil and honey makes for good chocolate.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

I've been off daily coffee for something like 2-3 months now. I'll have it on rare occasions, sometimes I just have some decaf if I want a warm drink with a restaurant breakfast. I miss it a little bit, not much. Glad I don't have that physical addiction any more (I definitely felt it when I quit, so I considered myself somewhat dependent, not what I want).

Sometimes I feel like a freakin' ascetic now that I'm off gluten, coffee, and alcohol.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Darren Reed

Default 100%

100% is the bomb. Distinctive "red wine" taste. Antioxidant link?
Coffee + dark chocolate + lift heavy stuff = superhero.
Scientific fact.
Darren Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Tony Ferous

I have ~50g a day of 70 or 85pc, i can easily eat the whole 100g bar though! Its addictive in itself(ie vs coffee), ive had a square or two in the mornings before but always felt pretty guilty, usually its an afternoon pick me up.

Moderation i guess is the key, despite its benefits, it does contain a bunch of oxalates which could be binding up minerals in your overall meal.

Green and Black brand do a great organic 85%, and a 70% with espresso in btw!
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I dig the raw cacao nibs. I blend them with coconut milk and honey or fruit as a treat (not every day.) Also raw cacao powder with coconut oil and honey makes for good chocolate.
Chocolate and coconut oil is a good mix. I do something similar...but different.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Frank Needham

That's awesome Gant.

This weekend I'm going to experiment with melted 100% over shredded coconut. Then over raisins. Then over nuts. Then over bacon. Then over, well, you get the picture I think.