Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Fernando Mendoza

Default Is there a way to lower the snatch push press without causing a hole in my neck?

I posted this question on Glenn's blog, but I think this is the more appropriate forum for it. The snatch push press exercise I'm doing comes from the beginner template listed in Greg's Olympic Weightlifting book.

Here's a video of my snatch push press - my first and last set of 5x5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62bTwwhF3g

I got a humongous welt on my upper neck which is slightly tender right now. I'd like to continue utilizing the BTN snatch push press as it is part of my program, and I see that a lot of lifters (in real life and on the net) perform this day in day out no problems. However the way I'm gripping it and lowering it seems to lead me to crash the bar on my neck. Is there a way of changing my initial setup so I don't chip away at my neck with this exercise?

Anyone that does this exercise feel free to chip in. I'm hoping this is a form thing that I can practice. I need to change this so that when big weights come in, I'm not gonna paralyze myself with the bar crashing down.

I saw the video exercise linked here http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...?exerciseID=89, I can't seem to maintain the same upright posture as per the video.
Fernando Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Brian M Smith

try catching it in a low-bar position, across the rear delts instead of up on the neck.

you could also try catching it further back on the traps so that its not hitting your neck.
Brian M Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Mendoza View Post
I posted this question on Glenn's blog, but I think this is the more appropriate forum for it. The snatch push press exercise I'm doing comes from the beginner template listed in Greg's Olympic Weightlifting book.

Here's a video of my snatch push press - my first and last set of 5x5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62bTwwhF3g

I got a humongous welt on my upper neck which is slightly tender right now. I'd like to continue utilizing the BTN snatch push press as it is part of my program, and I see that a lot of lifters (in real life and on the net) perform this day in day out no problems. However the way I'm gripping it and lowering it seems to lead me to crash the bar on my neck. Is there a way of changing my initial setup so I don't chip away at my neck with this exercise?

Anyone that does this exercise feel free to chip in. I'm hoping this is a form thing that I can practice. I need to change this so that when big weights come in, I'm not gonna paralyze myself with the bar crashing down.

I saw the video exercise linked here http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...?exerciseID=89, I can't seem to maintain the same upright posture as per the video.
Man, you could easy snatch 180 if you drive flat footed and extend vertical instead of back arching and extending on your toes, that ankle extension is holding you back
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M Smith View Post
try catching it in a low-bar position, across the rear delts instead of up on the neck.

you could also try catching it further back on the traps so that its not hitting your neck.
Good way to accidentally drop it down your back and destroy one or both of your shoulders.

Watch that video you linked to and watch the ankles. Control the bar down, and as it's getting closer to your back pop up on your ankles to bring your shoulders UP toward the bar while bring the bar down to your shoulders. This quickly shortens the distance and helps absorb the bar, and the feet dropping to flat will help the knees bend more smoothly to absorb the rest - trying to bend the knees smoothly from flat feet doesn't work well.

And of course keep your shoulder blades retracted to get a little more trap mass to bring the bar to. It shouldn't be on your actual neck at any time.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Fernando Mendoza

Not much to update except I trained the eccentric part as part of my warmup for my snatch balances. With the shrug cue, and a slower descent of the bar, I was able to control it to go to the traps. The slow descent did expose my weak arms though, at some point it took a bit to control elbows. I almost also slid the bar back once, but caught it before my shoulders took a beating.

To Andrew's point, I attempted a more flat footed push with the snatch balance today. Surprise, surprise, I found that element that kept me from maintain balance prior to today - too much reliance on ankle extension to pop up the bar, made me feel unstable on the way down. I wasn't as aggressive on the pop (which sucked as I pressed the bar up as I was coming down), but my balance on the way done was much more solid, and more importantly the bar coming up and back down was straight. Felt like a "shorter" push and catch.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! Looks like I'm learning (and relearning) some wicked stuff here.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Mendoza View Post
Not much to update except I trained the eccentric part as part of my warmup for my snatch balances. With the shrug cue, and a slower descent of the bar, I was able to control it to go to the traps. The slow descent did expose my weak arms though, at some point it took a bit to control elbows. I almost also slid the bar back once, but caught it before my shoulders took a beating.

To Andrew's point, I attempted a more flat footed push with the snatch balance today. Surprise, surprise, I found that element that kept me from maintain balance prior to today - too much reliance on ankle extension to pop up the bar, made me feel unstable on the way down. I wasn't as aggressive on the pop (which sucked as I pressed the bar up as I was coming down), but my balance on the way done was much more solid, and more importantly the bar coming up and back down was straight. Felt like a "shorter" push and catch.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! Looks like I'm learning (and relearning) some wicked stuff here.

boom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyeNEla6C48 wfs
boom! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M4wJ7p6jK0 wfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhtox...eature=channel wfs
boom!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLMpksOYdKY wfs
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
=
Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Fernando Mendoza

Thanks for the advice Andrew. I think I improved a bit over the past week or so with form, and realized how to pull the bar straight up while keeping the cue of "heels down", and why actively locking my arms on the snatch pulling has kept me back from lifting as heavy as I could. I just got a PR of 85kg so you were right, it was a matter of cleaning up my technique to demonstrate the strength that was there. I just need to hit 90kg to make past bodyweight (currently ~87kg).
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Wow! congratulations!