Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Gary Ohm

Default Another "Help me decipher my blood test results" thread

I had my blood tested yesterday and just got the results back today. There are a few things I am concerned about, but not ready to panic (unless someone here says I should). I've cleaned my diet up more than it has been in about a decade. I am leaner than I have been in about a decade and I feel pretty danged good overall.

Several years ago I was taking four 1200 mg fish oil caps a day, three 600 mg niacin daily, three 1200mg red yeast rice daily, two garlics and two multi vits. My weight was about 20 pounds more than now. At that time my basic blood numbers were:
total: 173
Tri-152
HDL-45
LDL-97
VLDL-30

Now today I am only taking 12grams (10 capsules) of the fish oil daily and 2000 I.U of Vitamin D along with one glass of red wine. I've been on this for about four months with a pretty danged clean diet if I say so myself. I'm also doing IF most days. I eat about a dozen organic free range eggs weekly and not too much red meat as I don't have access to grass fed around here.

The resulsts of my blood test are as follows:

Tri- 106
Total- 225 (this is high)
HDL- 53
LDL-151 (this is high)
VLDL 21
Total/HDL-C--4.2 (this is high)
LDL C/HDL-c--2.8
Na-138
K-4.8
CL- 102
CO2- 27
Anion Gap-14
Glucose-89
Blood urea nitrogen-16
creatine-1.1

COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT
WBC- 4.1 (this came in as LOW)
RBC- 5.68
Hematocrit- 48.6
MCV- 86
MCHC-33.7
RDW-CV- 11.5
Platelet count- 215
MEAN PLT VOLUME- 6.9 (this came in as LOW)

DIFFERENTIAL
Neutrophils- 42.1
Lymphocytes- 47.5 (This came in as HIGH)
Monocytes- 6.1
Eosinophils- 2.6
Basophils- 1.6
Absolute Granulocyte- 1.7 (This came in as LOW)
Absolute Lymphocytes- 2.0
Absolute Monocytes-0.3
Absolute Eosinophils- 0.11
Absolute Basophils- 0.1
BP is 120/78

I work out four to six days a week mostly bodyweight stuff with a little kettlebells. My workouts generally last between 45 and 65 minutes. I am working on the BTGB progressions with a few of my own things thrown in. My only "cardio" is the heavy breathing involved with the kb's and some of the leg exercises I do.

I'm 42, 71.5" and 188lbs. I'd like to drop another 18 pounds eventually.

Does anyone see anything that really stands out? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve things just based on the info here?

My doctor will get these results as well and he usually calls me in if he sees a problem. But I've never had so many parameters "out of line" before.

Thanks for any insight.
Gary
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

First, this is what I do for a living, so I'm going to pass on making any statement.

Second, and most important in terms of relating numbers on a page to an actual person, do you have any health concerns (or do you feel better now than you did before when your lab numbers were "better"?).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Gary Ohm

Garrett,
I FEEL really good. I am lighter and quicker than I was before. I'm not as strong because I'm not focused on lifting heavy weight any more. But I can handle my own body better. That all being said, I did not necessarily feel "bad" back then, but I do feel good now.
I have a family history of cholesterol issues, on both sides, which is why I was on all those supplements years ago. I had hoped to dial things in with just a clean diet. I consider fish oil food rather than a supplement. It seems I may need to get back on the pill bandwagon.
On my dad's side I have big hypertension issues. I think I have that under wraps right now with what I am doing.

Did this make any sense?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Makes enough sense. Is there a history of heart issues in your family?

The men in my family tend towards high cholesterol. The men in my family also tend to live to their 80s and 90s. I'm not worried about it.

I don't give "high" cholesterol much credence unless other markers of inflammation are elevated (homocysteine, CRP, fibrinogen).
Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Gary Ohm

Well pretty much everyone in my family is on meds to either thin blood, battle cholesterol (most everyone), or fight hypertension. About the only one who's not is my Gramma who is 93 and took her self off bp meds about ten years ago because she did not want to deal with the pills. She is on loads of meds now for eye issues and other stuff though.
So no heart attacks in the family, but again, everyone is on medication. I REALLY want to avoid hard meds if I possibly can.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/St...LandCancer.htm

"Battling cholesterol" is the wrong approach.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Gary Ohm

wow... I had no idea. It cements, even more, my desire to stay off drugs as much as possible. What an interesting thought; to let your LDL ride high without meds to act as an indicator of cancer if it drops without meds...

Maybe I'll just let mine ride.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

One major cause of high cholesterol that has been completely forgotten by the conventional establishment is mild hypothyroidism. Just an FYI...you had no thyroid labs done, so I can't comment on that in your situation.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Gary Ohm

hmmm... Yet another I had not thought of. I don't have many of the "classic" signs of hypothyroidism. I'll bring it up to my doc at some point and see what he says.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Shrug. I mean I don't have any qualifications for evaluating this stuff but pretty much what Garrett said.

Low WBC counts aren't uncommon IF you workout. Working out strengthens your immune system so the tendency is for a lesser need of overall WBC.

Cholesterol is in pretty much every cell and has tons of functions so... it could be low vitamin D (probably not in your case), dysfunctional steroid hormones, thyroid, problems with bile or vitamin absorption, etc. etc.

Doesn't really mean much at all unless there's other things highly out of whack in which you can kind of start to get a feel for what's wrong or you're going to do specific tests.

I mean as Garrett said the one thing that most medical people overlook is... how are you feeling? If you're doing great then you're probably within normal parameters for your body. Especially ifyou are sleeping, eating, and exercising well.