Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Yael Grauer

Thanks, you guys are awesome.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
James Evans

Yael

If you can do neutral grip on rings I don't think you can be that far off. Can you do a full range chin up?

I'm not 100% convinced by band pull ups. I use them with the female rowers I work with but I'm not sure we get bang for our bucks in the limited time available. I know Rob Shaul abandoned them and moved to a jump and a slow negative.

A long time ago we had a thread about getting Shaf to 20 deadhangs and after some of the discussions I played around with bands for about a month, result: sore elbows and chaffed knees.

Dave Van Skike said Pendlay Rows really helped his pull ups.

Couple of tips:

1. Look up at the ceiling
2. Try to imagine pulling your elbows down rather than yourself up.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
Yael Grauer

I can't do a full range anything. Jumps and negatives haven't helped--I can get to a dead hang on the way down but just can't go up from it.

But I had Troy Anderson work me out the other day (been traveling) and he did some basic lat activation work with me and it's very obvious that my lats aren't turning on at all. We just ended up using a band to try to get them firing. So I'm going to have him write me a program for mobility warm-up/pre-hab with lat activation and some other stuff I'm working on (hip stuff) and incorporate that in. I'm not really sure the training cues will do much until I build up lat strength.

The reason I wanted to do bands is because then I could start from a dead hang as opposed to all the other variations--jumping pullups won't help me since I can already do them perfectly and they're not working the stuff I can't do at all.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I can't do a full range anything. Jumps and negatives haven't helped--I can get to a dead hang on the way down but just can't go up from it.
Ah, I understand now.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Yael Grauer

Was thinking of buying this toy instead of traditional bands but I'm a sucker for toys.

http://lifelineusa.com/products/comi...olution&detail
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Justin Arnold

Along with improving lat strength, I think it is important that your shoulders get used to the recruitment pattern needed for a deadhang pullup. To do this, you might try uneven pullups, with one hand 4-5 inches lower than the other. This will put the lower hand into a stronger part of it's ROM, which should help assist the other arm through the bottom position. Obviously you'd want to alternate sides in a method that evens things out.

Climbers use this technique to develop one-arm pullup ability, but they use a greater distance between the hands, and specifically focus on locking out the higher hand.. I'd advise against that, as you'll fatigue very quickly.

You might need an assist from a band.. but the point of this is less about power and more about getting the feel for the movement.

I also like Grissam's idea for lat recruitment.
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #17
Ben Moskowitz

Here's a similar article by Mike Robertson, although it's geared towards the lower traps.
Top Priority for Lower Traps

The training progression is:
Lat pulldown isometric
Full lat pulldown
chin-up isometric
band-assisted chin-up
chin-up -> neutral grip -> pull-up
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Mark Fenner

Slow negatives or isometrics. Especially in that last four inches at the bottom (your weak point). Pay attention to keeping a big chest (serratus stapling your scaps to your ribs).
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
How about just dead hangs?
Go for time, and when you can hold the full extension for 30 seconds or so give the pullup another try (when you're fresh).
FYI--I tried this and could hold a deadhang at full extension for over 30 seconds on the first try.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

So how is the quest for a dead-hang going?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote