Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #31
Rick Deckart
Banned

btw i'm pretty sure that poliquin would program it like so or similarly
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #32
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
another 2 weeks add another pullup per set and clap behind and in front of you
I'm curious, what's the benefit of the clapping pushups, nevermind the clapping front-and-back pushups, on dead hangs?

Sorry if that sounds sarky, it's not - it's a genuine question.

I ask because I can do dead hang pullups with any grip I choose, but there is no way I'm getting airborne enough with my pushups to clap behind me nevermind front and back. So it's not something I think of as a related requirement. What's it get you that solves the "pull from a dead stop" problem?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #33
Rick Deckart
Banned

nothing.

it is just that if you superset clapping pushups and dead hang pullups the later, in my experience develop faster, also it is more fun than doing 10 sets of pullups with 60 sec rest inbetween and seems to be of shorter duration
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #34
Grissim Connery

Can you perform hanging leg lifts with straight legs to pike? To your face/bar? For Reps?
Can you tuck your legs and roll to inverted? For reps?
On rings, can you go from an inverted tuck to inverted with straight body? For reps?
Can you go from piked while inverted to inverted with straight body? For reps?

The resistance i feel when doing a deadhang pullup is strictly due to the vertical distance that my hips travel. doing one of these prior motions helps raise your hips some of the distance. you can then pull your face to the bar as if you are doing an ice cream maker. it's almost the exact same thing that the kipping pullup accomplishes except that you can avoid being explosive in these motions.

i would try tucking up and inverting, then dropping your hips and bringing your face to the bar like an ice cream maker. if you can do this and you get stronger, try reducing the height you bring your hips.
-IOW start at full inverted (90 degrees above parallel) and rotate to meet your face to bar.
-then come to 60 degrees, then 45 degrees, etc.
-Always come all the way back down between reps to dead hang (if you can do multiple).
-Ideally you'd do it as slowly as possible, but it's probably a more realistic goal to just try and remove all kipping while using speed to help you until you get stronger.
-eventually you should be able to pull your hips from deadhang to about 60 degrees beneath parallel and do a pullup from there. you should be able to deadhang pullup at that point
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #35
Yael Grauer

Blair, not 100% sure what my weighted body row 3RM and 1RM will be but will check it out.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Yael Grauer

I can do about 10 pullups on a Gravitron with 0 assistance--it has you start from the knees and is impossible to do from a dead hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus G. Magnússon View Post
I think you're over complicating things.

You have access to a Gravitron?

Linear progression.

Start with three sets of 5 reps with an assist you can comfortably do. Next workout, lower the assist by a small amount. Repeat every workout.

Start every rep from a deadhang. I guarantee it won't be more than a few weeks until you have your first pull-up.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
Yael Grauer

That kind of spotting doesn't work from me from a dead hang--I can do a complete pullup when almost from a dead hang, and from a dead hang I need more than just knee or under the foot support, I need his hands on my hips and helping me get to a non-dead hang and I can go from there. If I push off, I can get to a non-dead hang and go from there but it kind of defeats the purpose.

Ladder won't work since I can already do reps of the almost-dead hangs but can't do reps of the dead hangs since I can't do any.

Not trying to be difficult.

Been doing similar lat activation drills for a while now, recently added band Y-presses which is really hitting my lats. Maybe that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew Cattermole View Post
Get a good Spotter

Position
Support hand under Knee other hand in Lower back

Spotter gives just enough for you to get to top lock off ,you lock and lower with assist if needed working to be without assist on the lock and lower

Reps
Work Ladder Small reps 1-2-3/1-2-3/1-2-3

Use Use tempo 1 count up 1 count Lock off 1 count Lower

Core Tight
At full extension and through out keep the Glutes tight BButton pulled in

Types
Neutral grip
Pronated (Hands Away)

Breathe Out
Breath out on the effort (Pull)

Lat Activation
DB One Arm rows
T bar row
BB Bent rows
Tempo with lock offs
Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #38
Yael Grauer

Test my max with what? I can't do ANY dead hang pullups. Therefore I can't start from half or add one each week.

I can almost do a clapping pushup before falling over. However I do have a ton of pushups in my program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
here is how:

test your max, use half of that better yet start with two pullups band assisted if you must.

do ten super-sets of

2 pullups
3 clapping push-ups

90 sec reste between pullups and pushups and supersets

after 2 weeks add a pullup and clap behind your back

another 2 weeks add another pullup per set and clap behind and in front of you

another 2 weeks and your smart enought to figure out what do to next

do that at least twice per week but no more than every other day.

after 12 weeks you can do 12 deadhang pull-ups or i will buy you a 50gram jar of beluga caviar...
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #39
Yael Grauer

Can do maybe two or three hanging leg lifts to pike. Not to my face/bar or for reps.

No idea what you mean by roll to inverted. I can do all kinds of rolls like we do in BJJ, mostly back rolls not very good with front rolls.

Not sure what an inverted tuck to inverted with straight body or piked while inverted to inverted with straight body means so the answer is probably no. I can do a pullup on rings--again though not from a dead hang. But enough so that it LOOKS like it's from a dead hang.

I do have pretty decent hip movement though, with the only problem being that my right adductor is way stronger than my left adductor so they want to internally rotate, I've been working hard on that though with remedial exercises like single leg left hip approximation, ride sidelying left anterior glute med with TFL inhibition, right sidelying left glute med, etc. plus inverted x band walks, heel bridges, etc.

I really don't think my hips are what are preventing me from doing a dead hang though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
Can you perform hanging leg lifts with straight legs to pike? To your face/bar? For Reps?
Can you tuck your legs and roll to inverted? For reps?
On rings, can you go from an inverted tuck to inverted with straight body? For reps?
Can you go from piked while inverted to inverted with straight body? For reps?

The resistance i feel when doing a deadhang pullup is strictly due to the vertical distance that my hips travel. doing one of these prior motions helps raise your hips some of the distance. you can then pull your face to the bar as if you are doing an ice cream maker. it's almost the exact same thing that the kipping pullup accomplishes except that you can avoid being explosive in these motions.

i would try tucking up and inverting, then dropping your hips and bringing your face to the bar like an ice cream maker. if you can do this and you get stronger, try reducing the height you bring your hips.
-IOW start at full inverted (90 degrees above parallel) and rotate to meet your face to bar.
-then come to 60 degrees, then 45 degrees, etc.
-Always come all the way back down between reps to dead hang (if you can do multiple).
-Ideally you'd do it as slowly as possible, but it's probably a more realistic goal to just try and remove all kipping while using speed to help you until you get stronger.
-eventually you should be able to pull your hips from deadhang to about 60 degrees beneath parallel and do a pullup from there. you should be able to deadhang pullup at that point
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
Yael Grauer

P.S. Just FYI to get the bigger picture, my workouts right now look like this:

20:10 second 180 jumps: planks X 10 (twice a week)

5 X 20 sec side plank/pushups/mtn climber/squat thrust/pushup/side plank (once a week)

3 X 3 eccentric pullups/6 single arm DB bench/9 reverse barbell lunge/12 double dumbbell high pull snatch (once a week)

sandbag ladders 1-10 with single leg rows, clean and strict press, zercher drop lunge followed by 3 X 8/8/8 ab wheel rollouts (3 directions) (once a week)

10 X band y press/4X5 sec (per side)warrior 1/6 divebomber/30 feet inverted feet x walk/8 heels glute bridge/45 sec plank/30 sec bridge (I do 1-3 of these 5 X week)

hill sprints or some random Ross Enamait workout 1X/week

walking workout 1-2 hours pausing every 15 for 10 squats, 5 pushups, 5/5 lunges and 30 sec plank about 1X/week

Occassionally on my own: hip-dominant work (sumo deads, kb swings), plus the remedial exercises I mentioned.

goals: posterior chain activation, strengthening obliques and abdominals and lats, plus stretching right adductor strengthening left adductor (for that I also sometimes play with pistols to a box, more on the left), stretching hip flexors and front of shoulders, strengthening midback (already included in the program.

Eventually add rotational core work like cable chops once this is improved and my hips are more equal.

What else... oh yeah this is just a 6 week transition program I started a couple weeks ago to get me from what I was doing (Cressey's Max Strength--powerlifting) to what I'm going to be doing (BJJ); working on metcon and strength endurance.

Sandbag only at about 25 lbs.