Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
To add a lasIt bit i am not sure it is flexibility. I can put my feet on a wall, as Kelly Starrett does, and i can get my hip almost to the wall. As for adductors they could be better but by no means bad. As for hamstrings and flexors i am about 4cm off doing full front/back splits on both legs.

I am really lost.

Any help much appreciated
Kind Regards
Mark H
You're right. It's at least not flexibility. Improving the movement will work (wall ankle breaks etc.) It's unlikely, but beware of becoming hypermobile.

It looked like you lacked a bit of stability at the top of the movement as you completed the rep and reset to start the next one.

It sounds like you got a fair amount figured out. Continue to get video/photos as needed if you continue to have problems
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Mark Hammer

Default Just a quick post

Just thought i would post a little test front squat at 100kg. I am not saying it is perfect, far from it but, for me this has been the most comfortable front squat at 100kg.
It was as simple as having the feet more turned out so i could open the hips more.

Unfortunately i have some new flexibility issues i need to address. My back is now rounding more than ever, damn. The adductors need work too so i can keep My knees tracking over the toes. All in good time with light weight and mobility work. Will post a back squat from today and an overhead squat (with a broom stick due to my wrist )

Front Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3hMNsDlVI

Thanks again for the ideas before
Mark Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Jarod Barker

Have you seen the video of KStar back squatting something obscene like 475 pounds? I think BMac posted it, but you might to copy his positioning. He had a slightly wider stance with his feet actually straight instead of turned out. I suck at all the physiology, but someone explained that squatting in that position allowed the ITB to stretch further which then allowed other muscles to work in a better range, hence, KStar's very straight upper body.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Mark Hammer

Default Kelly Starett Squat

I haven't seen it. but, i have heard about it. I have been looking for it but, i suck at this internet stuff and have trouble finding what i want.
Ultimately i feel i have more power and strength with the feet straighter so, i would like to get it if possible. If i just have to do it this way, though, so be it.

I will try find that vid
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Jarod Barker

I tried checking BMac's YouTube channel for it, but I don't see it there except for KStar doing a Zercher squat. The back squat video is on BMac's facebook page. Personally, I can't squat like that without it hurting, but everyone's biomechanics are different.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I didn't read through all this stuff other than to see you complained of problems squatting and keeping your back straight.

First of all (and this is not a good camera angle), your thighs and shanks look a wee bit long in proportion to your torso. This is going to make it very difficult to keep a vertical back angle unless you want to take a sumo stance and do plie squats (note: you do not want to do this).

Move the heels out a tad and point the toes out more. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and think "chest up" as you descend. Shove your knees out as much as you can. With a wider stance, you'll be able to drop into the hole with your back in a more vertical position.

PS The fact that your back squat is not vertical should not cause you concern.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Dave Van Skike

http://joeskopec.com/squatform.html

I found this article helpful in reconciling my desire to squat narrow with my short back and long spider legs
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
Denver Buchanan

Hey Mark, I watched your videos and understand your frustration, as we seem to have very similar body proportions.

When I switched to high-bar squatting, I had a hell of a time staying vertical. When I taped myself, the bar was out over my toes, especially on heavy weights. As you've discovered, I had to do the following:

1. Flare toes out more (feet making angle closer to 90 degrees) so that I can make room to "squat between the heels". Let my knees drift forward well past my toes.

2. Realize that I may not be able to immediately do a vertical squat ass-to-ankles like other guys do. With my body proportions, it will likely take extreme ankle flexibility to pull this off.
Denver Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Mark Hammer

Default Thanks

Thanks Gant, Dave and Chad.

Chad I say the Zercher Squat. Still can't find the Squat, Though. Damn internet.

The Link you gave me Dave was a good read. Thankyou.

Gant, thanks for you take on squating form for the lanky legged people like us. My feet used to be about 25 degrees out. At the moment i am trying it with about 50-60 degrees out. It is great so far. My problem now is that some of the flexibility issues i had and got rid of, have now reappeared. Adductors are now the biggest thing for me. The good news I PR'd my back squat by 5kg, going to 160kg, 1 day after pointing the toes out more and opening the hips up more.

Now the front squat and abs need some serious strenghtening and i will be set by the looks of it
Old 10-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Jarod Barker

You can try adding Brian MacKenzie as a friend on facebook, then go to his videos, and you'll find the one of Kelly squatting. It's listed as water buffalo squats 475