Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Default A firm foundation: focusing on the feet

We have a new article out. Yay.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/

Let me know your guys' thoughts.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Jarod Barker

First off, I'd just like to say how much I hate you for putting that picture in of the guy rupturing his achilles tendon. It caused me to have a flash back to when I saw a guy running literally 10 feet in front of me and his achilles ruptured. I get the chills everytime I think about it

In any case, another very well written article on feet and shoes. Just curious, what do you do? Do you go sans shoes? Vibrams? Terra plana? There are so many situations in life where we must wear shoes, but it is clear that they are definitely altering our mechanics negatively. In fact, the local Y actually prohibits racing flats, indoor soccer shoes, and vibrams. Crazy right?

My PT keeps telling me I have flat feet and over pronate because my posterior tibialis is too tight. I've tried stretching, rolling, massaging, etc, but I suspect it's all undone by my shoes.

I think the length of this article was better as well. I'll be honest, I'm one of those people who began, but never finished the shoes, sitting, and lower body dysfunction article. I always mean to come back to it, but never managed to finish it. Maybe I'll make a point this weekend to sit down and finish it.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I try to go barefoot as much as possible except when required to wear shoes. I have some flat soled pumas that I wear for such occasions.

Yeah, well, this article could've been much longer because there's so many more issues I could talk about but I tried to keep it down... compared to shoes/sitting its about 1/3rd of the length.

Much better... probably couldve been much shorter but then I wouldve had to do a series
Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Jarod Barker

I think this article was kind of sweet spot personally. Maybe someone else will chime in and say it was too long and you should do a series, but I probably got through in 5 minutes-ish. So, it's long enough to give you the information, but not so long that you can't finish it before another distraction or heaven forbid, you have work to do.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah.

Any suggestions for other injury articles?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Gary Ohm

Great article Steve. I'm a barefoot and foot health fanatic and now I can direct folk to your site to read your articles to support me.

I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole. When I'm in the plant I have to wear work boots so I'm pretty much screwed....

I like your injury articles, you are able to say things clearly that I futz around and take hours to try and explain...

Thanks again.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole.
http://www.zappos.com/sanuk-board-room-black

They have them in brown too.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
pricey slippers

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Great article Steve. I'm a barefoot and foot health fanatic and now I can direct folk to your site to read your articles to support me.

I go barefoot as much as possible. At work I have to wear leather shoes and I can't find any that have a really minimal sole. When I'm in the plant I have to wear work boots so I'm pretty much screwed....

I like your injury articles, you are able to say things clearly that I futz around and take hours to try and explain...

Thanks again.
The vivo Barefoot shoes were they only ones I have considered for work.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

I wear the Vivo Barefoot Oaks http://www.terraplana.com/oak-p-2165.html?colour=143 every day at work, they're leather, and no one really notices them as being out of the ordinary. 4mm thick flat sole.

I will likely get some Sanuks for more casual wear in my next shoes.

Just had to fix my Vibrams with Shoe Goo, they were coming apart in places.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote