Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Are they going to rehash this debate every month?
Ha....I agree...unfortunately...nothing new in fitness so people make their mark with brash arguements to one side or the other....helps to increase Ebook sales probably. No one wants to buy a book from someone who agrees everything works....no drama there.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Ron Nelson

DB squat cleans finally got me to jump under the bar on the BB clean. But that's me.

As for the hullabaloo in the article, I have this take: Controversy will arise whenever one person comes out and says that there is one definite way to do, or not do something. I'm sure Gutenberg took a lot of crap when he came up with movable type. Polquin shoots his mouth off and says one or two exercises are "dumb." Controversy ensues. Coaches disagree. An entire tempest erupts in a teapot. BFD.

If coaches, and I mean the big timers who train lots of people and have, or want to have, huge egos, want to get noticed, they just need to shoot their mouth off on the infernets. Arguments break out, sides are taken, lives are lost. To me, it's all bluster and puffing. Just another way to get yourself noticed. Polquin may be brilliant, but does he really need to take a stand knowing others use these movements? No, just a way to tell everyone you're the biggest dog on the block. I really don't find statements like "you should never. . ." particularly useful.

Guess that's why I enjoy Dan John's writing. Here's what worked for me; your results will vary.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html

Last edited by Ron Nelson : 02-27-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: I type, then I think
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
James Evans

He punted out this stuff about the validity of one armed lifts last month. This seems as much to me a dig at Paul Chek, probably at Pavel and possibly at CrossFit too, as any serious concern about these lifts, though whether this comes from him or from the T-Nation editorial I'm not sure.

T-Nation is an excellent resource; delve beyond the bodybuilding nonsense and there is some really good reading material to be found but by Christ are there some stupid f*@ckers posting on those boards. If they can get excited about whether or not that is Staley with a wig performing a one armed snatch then actually challenging the validity of anything is going to set them off into meltdown.

I like one armed snatches and cleans regardless of what Poliquin has to say about them. I believe the Earth is round too.

By the way, Chek is a big mother isn't he? Athough admittedly one who looks made out of alabaster.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #14
Allen Yeh

Great stuff at T-nation, bodybuilding or not, while I'm not into it anymore I used to be quite into bodybuilding and the like.

There seems to be DMF'ing posters just about everywhere, I remember reading some article on "internet flaming" and how easily it gets out of hand.

Anyone, I guess I wanted to hear more on why other coaches liked them and thought they were safe, more as a counterpoint. So if anyone ever said to me "I think their not safe because CP said in this article" I could reply more than "well this coach and this one disagree" but more along the lines of "the stresses that CP points out are...."?

Hey James you ever heard of the Flat Earth Society? Google it....it's freaking mindboggling I was directed to their website a few years back by a friend. I was reading it thinking..."WTF?????"
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
James Evans

Pope Innocent III believed the world was flat.
Hitler believed the world was round.
Who do you believe, the Pope or Hitler?

If that's humour I find it banal. If it's meant in all seriousness I think that it is utterly fcked up.

Thanks for showing me that though Allen.

I wasn't knocking your interest in the views of different coaches by the way. I find a discussion on here far more enjoyable to read than when it takes place on other sites and was keen to hear the views of others.

There was a good comment about one armed snatches over on Brutal Training
from Andrew Read (who I respect a lot) when he asked someone why they were doing them. That's important. We need to think these things through. What purpose does the exercise serve. Does it hurt me?

I do them because I find them fun and so far I haven't f@*cked myself over (I did smash the db into the inside of my knee the other week).
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 AM   #16
James Evans

Actually it occured to me last night that I had read somewhere on the internet that CrossFit was for bored housewives and effeminate executives but it was bound to give you rhabdo, Dan John invented said internet but was a clown when it came to coaching, Olympic lifts were dangerous and Robb had started a business empire with Mark Twight and Bill Fox but Mark was upset because Mike Boyle had poked fun at him at some conference.

What do I know about the sense of one armed lifts? All the facts you need are out there in cyberspace....
Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Wait I thought Al Gore invented the Internet....

Nooooooooooo!!!!! *Shakes fist at the sky*

I don't think the Flat Earth Society is a joke....I think they were first based in England in fact.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #18
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Actually it occured to me last night that I had read somewhere on the internet that CrossFit was for bored housewives and effeminate executives but it was bound to give you rhabdo, Dan John invented said internet but was a clown when it came to coaching, Olympic lifts were dangerous and Robb had started a business empire with Mark Twight and Bill Fox but Mark was upset because Mike Boyle had poked fun at him at some conference.

What do I know about the sense of one armed lifts? All the facts you need are out there in cyberspace....
James!

I wanted to keep that Wolf-Twight-Fox-John-Castro-Putin-Trump business empire on the "Down Low". Oh well...cat's out-a-the-bag! Group photo to go up next week.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
James!

I wanted to keep that Wolf-Twight-Fox-John-Castro-Putin-Trump business empire on the "Down Low". Oh well...cat's out-a-the-bag! Group photo to go up next week.
Just keep your clothes on in this photo. Is it true that this same group is behind the "Recruit Gore for 2008" movement?

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #20
James Evans

Allen:

Quote:
I don't think the Flat Earth Society is a joke....I think they were first based in England in fact.
Are you suggesting that as I live in England I have some personal responsibility for the genesis of the Flat Earth Society?

Or does their geographical origin in England confirm their seriousness?

I'm taking the piss by the way.