Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Samuel Hughes

Default Chaos and Pain

Anybody ever check out this blog? http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/

For those who don't want to read it, the guy basically operates at >85% 1RM with 15-30 reps however he can get them. He trains 6 days/week alternating heavy and conditioning/hypertrophy stuff. Heavy days have a pull, a press, and a squat. Conditioning/hypertrophy is short metcon/strongman or small, weak point body part supersets.

It definitely caters towards the extreme/injury prone side of things but as a 22 year old, I can't say his style isn't attractive to me. For those who have been down this road, think I could do a stint with this kinda thing without ruining my body long term?

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Joe Hart

Give it a swing. Being 22 you have time to recover from an injury. Being 41 I don't really want to try. I also don't have that kind of time for just the gym.

You might want to give Broz (sp?) a look. He has some lifters that are beast no matter how you look at it.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Brian DeGennaro

You've gotta play it by ear and listen to your body. Some days you just can't lift 85% or more, that's when you take it lighter or decrease the volume or train fewer days for a little bit and ramp it back up. The body cycles through those periods of really awesome training to really crappy training, listen to it and follow along.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Nutrition (and probably restoratives) are a big part of the reason Jamie can do what he does. He just posted some ridiculous numbers at a PL meet with no belt. Guy is solid.

People shouldn't mention being overtrained until they have eaten, slept, and worked their ass off. They've usually cut corners somewhere.

Give it a whirl. You won't be able to do it when you're 40.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Kevin Shaughnessy

Jamie has also admitted to steroid use IIRC.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Jarod Barker

I'm not sure how sustainable a program like that is for the long term, but I'd figure you'd be safe doing it in short cycles. The key is always periodization as I'm learning (learning very very slowly). Especially if you stick to the same lifts and don't mix it up every single day a la @fit style. I've been following just a straight lifting program for 7 weeks now, and I'm not even sore after workouts anymore, yet my strength is up, reps are up, and I'm adding weight to the bar. I don't see why you couldn't work up to something that similar to his 6 days a week 15-30 reps, but I don't know if I'd jump in whole hog.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

i think that guy is great. good example of the three basic tenets of success.

bust ass/be consistent/ pay attention.

I don;t care if he snorts pixie dust, he'd be a hard man regardless.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Building the base for C&P-style training takes a long time, once it is done, it can likely be maintained for a while.

I like my deload weeks though, and I think they lend more to longevity of training.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

When I first came across his blog, I thought "Douchebag". I came back across it a couple months after and changed my mind.

That dude is nuts. In a good way. The numbers he put up in that meet were impressive.

If I remember right didn't he total elite with no belt a that meet at 181 or something?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

I just checked the blog, I like his attitude, and he seems to offer a fresh look at training instead of the same old "do this not that" routines.

It's kind of making me rethink some things as im in the midst of training rebellion.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote