Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
Derek Weaver

Anyone interested in C&P's totaling Elite at the APF meet can read his blog post on it here.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/201...ve-broken.html
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Kevin Perry

Yea thats pretty crazy and badass,

I don't get why he hates on Rip so much though.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

The way Jamie trains is very similar to my own, except I dial back on the heavy stuff when I increase my event work. All my "gym sessions" involve a Olympic lift, an overhead supporting that Olympic lift, a squat supporting that olympic lift, and a pull supporting that olympic lift, followed by abs and, perhaps (rarely) some form of lying pressing movement.

I normally alternate between "gym sessions" and "event/sport specific sessions" day to day. My event training is GPP at it's finest.

I must note that a lot of the overly heavy partial stuff he does is great for someone wanting to get hella strong. I can no longer do that becaue of age and the desire to push the envelope. I'm not a powerlifter or a strongman. I'm just an old fuscular bald guy who weilds an axe for kicks and giggles. But, if someones wants to get strong, wants to increase their muscle mass, and wants to do "the iron therapy" - this type of training is perfect.

To quote an old training partner - "one must embrace the power cage and the willingness to accept pain. Because that asshole Nietzsche was right - 'What does not kill you will make you stronger.'"

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Samuel Hughes
This message has been deleted by Samuel Hughes.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #24
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
The way Jamie trains is very similar to my own, except I dial back on the heavy stuff when I increase my event work. All my "gym sessions" involve a Olympic lift, an overhead supporting that Olympic lift, a squat supporting that olympic lift, and a pull supporting that olympic lift, followed by abs and, perhaps (rarely) some form of lying pressing movement.

I normally alternate between "gym sessions" and "event/sport specific sessions" day to day. My event training is GPP at it's finest.

I must note that a lot of the overly heavy partial stuff he does is great for someone wanting to get hella strong. I can no longer do that becaue of age and the desire to push the envelope. I'm not a powerlifter or a strongman. I'm just an old fuscular bald guy who weilds an axe for kicks and giggles. But, if someones wants to get strong, wants to increase their muscle mass, and wants to do "the iron therapy" - this type of training is perfect.

To quote an old training partner - "one must embrace the power cage and the willingness to accept pain. Because that asshole Nietzsche was right - 'What does not kill you will make you stronger.'"

All the best,
Arden
This is encouraging. I like lumbar jacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Dude, you deadlift 330#. Don't get all worked up over overly complicated programming. You can make tons of progress with a simple, 3 day a week, 3 sets of 5 routine like Starting Strength. I don't want it to be like I'm calling someone out on their lifts, but you definitely have plenty of room to build with a really simple program. You're making the same mistake tons and tons of novices make - you program at a level more appropriate for an advanced lifter and you don't make as much progress as if you used a program more appropriately matched to this point in your lifting career. I was in your shoes and I got this advice I'm giving you now, and I ignored it, as you will probably ignore me, and my progress stagnated for months before I went back to basics and used a program appropriate for my training level, and I was extremely successful with it. So hopefully once you have stagnated with your CnP style training you will remember this and try Starting Strength and you'll put some real weight on the bar. Good luck!
Thanks man, I hear you and may regret my choice one day. Either way, iits all a learning experience and good fun so I'm forging ahead!

PS. thats 330x5 in a straight set with no bounce. at 155lbs I hope thats at least decent. Also, I really just like the program/author because of his obsession with chicken wings...

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Samuel Hughes
This message has been deleted by Samuel Hughes.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #25
Brian DeGennaro

Pretty simple thing to ask yourself:

Is your current training working? Are you progressing in some sort (rep PRs, weight PRs, volume, form, speed, etc) week to week?

If you are, you're doing something right for yourself and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #26
Kelly White

Thanks for the heads up on the blog. His penchant for shit talking and gutter wit has had me laughing to myself quite a bit lately.

Quote:
One of their lifters, Zhang Xiangxiang, is a fucking fireplug at 5'2", 137, ripped to the fucking bone. His Olympic entry total is more than half the motherfuckers on bodyspace can pull off in a full powerlifting meet- 704lbs. That's right- seven hundred and four pounds went over that little bastard's head in two lifts. When was the last time YOU put 300-400 lbs overhead at a bodyweight of 137? For that matter, when was the last time you chumped double your bodyweight overhead, with a shitload of change to spare? This little Nuprin-colored motherfucker does it every day of the week, just because, and then he goes and shits plate steel and ejaculates lightning, because he's bored with all of the other retardedly impressive shit he does as a matter of course every
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
Samuel Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Pretty simple thing to ask yourself:

Is your current training working? Are you progressing in some sort (rep PRs, weight PRs, volume, form, speed, etc) week to week?

If you are, you're doing something right for yourself and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Exercise ADD is real and I have it. I definitely need to stick to a plan for more than a few weeks. To make some excuses , I think a lot of my problems stem from a lack of training partner... I think I might do much better if I had somebody whose opinion I respect and whose strength matches or exceeds mine. As it is, I'm basically the boss when it comes to both programming and execution. It would be nice to follow someone else for a while... Anyone in the Charlottesville area?

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #28
Garrett Smith

I used to think exercise ADD was a good thing. Then I started 5/3/1 and turned my ADD into lifting to a "new max" every month. I like the second one better. Get your variety in your assistance exercises.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Brian DeGennaro

Ejaculating thunder... ow... for the two of you.

I second Garrett. If you're making progress... why the hell would you stop doing it till you've milked it dry?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
Kelly White

Brian,

Have you ever done a super high volume cycle with weightlifting, china-bulgarian style.

It seems like it produces, but I guess it does not really work with a job or life outside of the gym.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote