Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #111
Cal Jones

Yesterday was a bit of a one off, really, as I had a day off work and went to an amusement park in the morning (they have a small zoo and have cute new tiger cubs I just had to see...you know how it is!). So I had a shake before I left the house around 8.50am and then one when I got back at 2pm, and another later. On work days I generally have breakfast an hour after I arrive at around 10am, then a snack at 12, then lunch at 2-2.30ish, and then something when I get home. So I will replace those four meals with shakes and I'll be getting four in. (Which is what I've done today). Each shake is two scoops. Originally I was going to be trying to have four shakes on rest days and five on training days, but I can't see when I'll fit a fifth shake in. I'll stick with four for now and see how it goes.

I might look into having my first Hot Rox when I wake up and another at lunch, though I've left them at work for now so I'll see how well I sleep tonight. I've worked out today so hopefully, better than yesterday!
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #112
JimmyBlair

I used www.trueprotein.com

its the best protein source there is, very inexpensive. 100% casein is $10 a lbs.

If you want, you can use my discount code for 5% off. Or 10% off 16lbs or more, which you deffinitely need for the v-diet.
The discount code is MLB323

Its a great site, you can build custom blends of any type of protein you want.

Email me if you need any help.

mjb07e@fsu.edu

I lost 18lbs on the v-diet.
JimmyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #113
Cal Jones

Day 4 now and I am coming with something. My throat feels as though I've been gargling razor blades. I have had so many colds and infections over the last 6 months I am getting heartily sick of it. I hope I can chase this one off because I am supposed to be running a 10K on Sunday and have already paid the rather pricey entry fee.

Other than that, I'm doing fine on the shakes. I like the convenience of it and not having to think about food. I am never hungry nor do I feel weak or shaky.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #114
Allen Yeh

I know how you feel, my wife came down with a bad stomach bug about 2 weeks in and I ended up catching some flu-type thing at 3 weeks in.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #115
ErikHutson

Im on day 2 of the v-diet, for roughly 1600 cals yesterday and did a brisk 25min walk with 25 pound vest.

Im trying to find out a way to up my calories on training days since Im hoverin around 1600-1700 which is within my range but I would like some extra calories so im not starving later so Im substituting some things in.

Instead of flax seed im using Almonds, Ill have roughly 200-230 calories worth which is around 10-12 almonds for the entire day. My after workout drink Im going to have to throw in another Nitrean shake with creatine totaling 6 on training days and 5 on non training days. Im defiantly going to have to reorder some more protein unless I'm satisfied within the next few weeks with what I see. But right now my body is so tired since I Powerwash parking lots at night and workout and walk before I go to work hopefully my body will adjust within the next few days to the calories and I wont feel as run down.

My stats are looking like this

Weight days

1655 calories

Protein = 249g

Carbs = 87g (66g from creatine 2 servings)

Fats = 34g

Non Weight Days

1630 calories

Protein = 248g

Carbs = 55g (33g from creatine serving)

Fats = 47g
ErikHutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #116
Cal Jones

Good luck, Erik - I'm nearing the end of my first week. Doing well (aside from coming down with a bad cold, though my immune system is poor and this will have been the umpteenth infection in the last six months so I don't blame the diet). The only thing is I'm getting fed up with shakes (and specifically the artificial aftertaste) and I'm fantasising about savoury stuff...broccoli and chicken! I've lost half an inch each off my hips and waist.

One thing is as I'm not well I've not wanted to eat today and I've only managed to get down two shakes (two scoops each), so about 400 cals worth, plus the fish oil caps and what little skimmed milk I have in my tea. So I'm a bit low for today, but then I've barely moved anyway, so I guess it'll be alright.

How does everyone else manage the savoury cravings?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #117
Garrett Smith

How many people reading this thread got a significant cold within the first two weeks of starting this general diet plan?

I'm serious. Please chime in. I think it will benefit quite a few people.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #118
ErikHutson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
How many people reading this thread got a significant cold within the first two weeks of starting this general diet plan?

This is my third time on the diet (over the past few years) and I havent received any type of cold. The thing I do notice is people are only taking in 1000 calories or a little more (this thread alone a few people have said thats all they took in) The sickness could be related to lack of following the diet precisely as prescribed or over exertion from exercising with the lack of calories. Ill report in if I do receive a cold this time around but I doubt I will since im taking a daily multi vitamin along with ample calorie intake and watching how much I do workout.

One thing I did notice is I slept like a baby last night, I got off my job at roughly 5am, went to bed at 6am and woke up at 4pm. Thats the first time ive slept that late in a long time.

People on the diet should also watch there sleep not getting enough has been known to weaken the immune system and bring on such colds.
ErikHutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #119
Mike ODonnell

Just for the record....I would say if you are catching colds...and lowering your immune system...then this may not be the right thing for you. Plenty of people lose weight eating whole foods....this seems too risky IMO for such an extended period of time....but hey, that's just me. Maybe some sort of real food, alternate day shake diet is a better healthy compromise that gets the same results without the risks or sickness.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #120
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post

only the weak (read skinny) got sick. which is to say, only people below a "healthy normal"bf range (my number is 12-18% anything less is vanity)

every fatass I know who's done it felt better. when I did it my energy went down but my tranquilo' went up and so did all my lifts.