Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 01-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #201
Mike ODonnell

Just want to make sure you don't overdo it....as that can lead to more harm than good. Most people want too much too soon....and that never works out in the long term. Enjoy what you do and how you eat...and at the end of the day you still should have energy and not feel bonked.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #202
Robert McBee

Interesting thread. I'm currently doing Greg's 16 wk cycle and think I might try the V-diet starting Feb 1. After reading all the casien vs. whey entries I was curious if anyone tried egg white protein for the shakes. I was checking out trueprotein.com and thought that a micellular casien and egg white with a minor amount of whey might be good.

Other minor additions/deviations I was planning are:
a) Stick with current intake of CLO(3-4g daily) and 4000 iu's Vit. D due to no sun exposure this time of year.
b) Cinnamon added to shakes or as caps for flavor and insulin mgt.
c) ZMA + 5HTP at bedtime
d) BCAA's PWO and re-introduce CellMass(creatine supp) the last two weeks(I'm experimenting currently with cycling the stuff 2 wks on/2 wks off)
e) nix the oatmeal/berries meal and replace with steak, yam, salad
f) will increase fat intake if lifts start to suffer

I might skip the Hot Roxx since I do 2-4 shots of espresso most days already. I might cut this out too except for max attempt training sessions. I'll skip the Surge too and just have my last shake of the day since my own workouts don't end until 9-9:30pm.
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #203
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McBee View Post
Interesting thread. I'm currently doing Greg's 16 wk cycle and think I might try the V-diet starting Feb 1. After reading all the casien vs. whey entries I was curious if anyone tried egg white protein for the shakes. I was checking out trueprotein.com and thought that a micellular casien and egg white with a minor amount of whey might be good.

Other minor additions/deviations I was planning are:
a) Stick with current intake of CLO(3-4g daily) and 4000 iu's Vit. D due to no sun exposure this time of year.
b) Cinnamon added to shakes or as caps for flavor and insulin mgt.
c) ZMA + 5HTP at bedtime
d) BCAA's PWO and re-introduce CellMass(creatine supp) the last two weeks(I'm experimenting currently with cycling the stuff 2 wks on/2 wks off)
e) nix the oatmeal/berries meal and replace with steak, yam, salad
f) will increase fat intake if lifts start to suffer

I might skip the Hot Roxx since I do 2-4 shots of espresso most days already. I might cut this out too except for max attempt training sessions. I'll skip the Surge too and just have my last shake of the day since my own workouts don't end until 9-9:30pm.

Smart changes Robert. You'll probably have good luck with that. BCAA's are not soemthing I've done but creatine will change the scale...a lot in soem people, it's no big deal if you plan for it. The "Free" Meal you planned is great, waaay better than just a bowl of cereal.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #204
Robert McBee

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I dug deeper on the V-diet section of their site and they have basically included my tweaks already in their updated versions.

While reading the info I decided to use the Biotest 'Met. Drive' for the shakes. The label profile looks as good to me as any other. Additionally, its their specific idea and I want to compensate them. If the stuff messes up my 'mojo' or tastes nasty then I'll substitute. Egg protein + casein still makes sense to me but usually does taste nasty.

Did anyone mix in a 'greens' or powdered fruit/veg into their shakes. The site sells something called 'Superfood' that was discussed here some months back.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #205
Derek Weaver

Not the V-Diet, but similar:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...t-for-you.html

And seemed appropriate.

Robert,
I get what you're saying for the Metabolic Drive, but if you can something cheaper with a comparable blend, then I'd go that way. Biotest is doing just fine, I'm certain of it. I do hear though that Metabolic Drive is the easiest way to go in terms of taste and texture of the shakes (which seem to get very old, very fast).

I think you'd be well served to put a green + type of supplement powder in a shake or two per day.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #206
Allen Yeh

I like Superfood better than the green+ supplements just because when you add greens+ to a shake it makes the shake just nasty, adding superfood is a lot more tolerable to me.

I never tried it without Metabolic Drive but from all accounts on reading other's logs and stuff it seems that trying to sub in different formula such as just plain whey it turned out badly. I think a casein/egg mix might work, but I'd be leary the taste/consistency since you will be having anywhere from 5-7 shakes a day. The body transformation of Gustavo Pacho or soemthing had some good V-diet information as well.

You start getting very creative with the way you make shakes after a few days.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #207
Robert McBee

V-Diet Experiment
Daily Plan

6:00am - Wake, water, espresso, NEPA walk
8:00am - Shake + 'Superfood' + fish oil
11:00am - Shake w/flax meal, 4000ius Vit. D
2:00pm - Shake w/coconut milk, cinnamon, Fiber wafers
3:00pm - espresso
5:00pm - Shake w/flax meal, multi-vit.
8:00pm - Training - CA O-lifting WOD
9:30pm - Shake w/almond butter, fiber wafers, re-introduce creatine starting wk. 3
10:30pm - ZMA, 5-Htp, lights out

By Shugarts formula I need to be 'eating' 1500 cals on training days and the above hits that on the nose if I'm strict measuring the extra fats. This will give me a little over 200g of protein daily that I know I'm not coming close to now. I'm going to do the 1500 on the two non-training days and see what happens. I'm 5'10 and 165# so I don't have some huge amount to lose. Primarily I don't want my already meager lift totals to suffer.

So, I'll order the 'official' supps from Biotest tomorrow and probably won't have that until late next week. I'm going to start on Feb. 1 anyway and just use meat/eggs in the same amounts/ratios as closely as possible until the stuff arrives. To quote the Joker: "its all part of the plan"
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #208
Robert McBee

V-diet
Day 1

Starting this experiment today although specified supps aren't expected until tomorrow or next day. Following scheduled plan posted above, subbing whole food protein in 35g amounts for the shakes. Had the 35g PRO(5 blox for you zoners) consisting of eggs and sausage for meal 1.

Sleep=Good/8hrs. Took NEPA walk upon waking following glass of water and green tea. Frozen streets tricky.

Generally stiff following wk 3 of Bulgarian cycle. Left wrist sore/radial aspect. Right hip into low back sore, most likely too tight hip flexor. Enthusiasm for training=High
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #209
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McBee View Post
I'm 5'10 and 165#
where are you going with this v-diet?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #210
Robert McBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
where are you going with this v-diet?
Hi Dave. Happy SuperBowl Sunday! I picked a bad day to stop drinkin'.

So, what are my goal(s) for test driving the V-diet at 5'10 and a whopping 165lbs? I know the 165 is scrawny already but too much of mine is fat. I haven't calculated yet but will use the formulas/tables in the Zone book. From past experience I know I'm in the high teens on my bodyfat% so I do have some fat to spare.

Nutrition has been very erratic lately meaning I actually haven't been eating enough. 100g PRO total most days. My plan for the V-diet has me at 200g daily so we'll see if that doesn't provide a good counterpoint to the overall deprivation. Total cals will only be 1500 but I haven't been getting that much some days anyway. No excuses for my lazy nutrition as I've been reading the PM long enough to know better.

My theory is that I might actually makes some gains on this thing and re-establish consistently good habits. I'll take a hard assessment at the mid-point. If my lifts are slipping and overall energy/outlook are too then I'll jack up the fat 300-500cals and see how that works for the next week.