Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #211
Emily Mattes

Why not just clean bulk and fill out the rest of that fat with muscle?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #212
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McBee View Post
Hi Dave. Happy SuperBowl Sunday! I picked a bad day to stop drinkin'.

So, what are my goal(s) for test driving the V-diet at 5'10 and a whopping 165lbs? I know the 165 is scrawny already but too much of mine is fat. I haven't calculated yet but will use the formulas/tables in the Zone book. From past experience I know I'm in the high teens on my bodyfat% so I do have some fat to spare.

Nutrition has been very erratic lately meaning I actually haven't been eating enough. 100g PRO total most days. My plan for the V-diet has me at 200g daily so we'll see if that doesn't provide a good counterpoint to the overall deprivation. Total cals will only be 1500 but I haven't been getting that much some days anyway. No excuses for my lazy nutrition as I've been reading the PM long enough to know better.

My theory is that I might actually makes some gains on this thing and re-establish consistently good habits. I'll take a hard assessment at the mid-point. If my lifts are slipping and overall energy/outlook are too then I'll jack up the fat 300-500cals and see how that works for the next week.
tha sounds pretty well thought out. your lifts should slip...a bunch. I had god luck keeping strength steady by doing 5 days a week, one lift a day, just easy practice or a "power to the people" kind of set up, two or three exercise, 2 sets of 5.

good luck.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #213
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Why not just clean bulk and fill out the rest of that fat with muscle?
Probably because his nutrient partioning is going to suck regardless of "clean" vs. not clean.

In most cases getting lean first tends to be the better move unless a) body comp. doesn't matter or b) you're so underweight you could cause yourself physical harm losing more weight.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #214
Robert McBee

V-diet
Day 2

Derek got to the heart of things pretty well Emily. Lately my nutrition has had this disconnect between consistently doing the right thing or not. This serves several purposes.
A)Dietary Bitch-Slap to get back on track
B)Satisfy curiosity concerning all I've read about the V-diet and/or find out just how soon a fool and his money are parted.
C)Experiencing this firsthand would also make me more comfortable if I were to recommend this or something similar to a few seriously overweight folks I work with who, like me, know what to do but don't.

Anyhow, stuck to the plan as stated. Felt good all day but every 3 hours I was really hungry. Took a NEPA walk at 6am but missed lifting tonight. First missed workout of the whole cycle. Bummed

Happy Groundhog Day!
Mmm groundhog...
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #215
Jay Cohen

Robert;

If you have trouble eating a sound diet BEFORE attempting the V-Diet, what makes you think, or what changes are you going to implement, when the diet is over in 28 days.

Since your eating pattern is going to radically change over these next 4 weeks, it will change again next month when diet is over.

How are you going to commit to eating a simple, clean easy to follow basic diet, when you couldn't do it before the V?

Good luck by the way.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #216
Dave Van Skike

FWIW, a number of folks who have tried a fast like this have noticed it was like a reset button for bad eating habits, kills your cravings for carbohydrates and creates a good working relationship with protein.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #217
Jacob Rowell

I've introduced the idea to my girlfriend - she's was zoning for awhile, essentially paleo now with ~85% compliance, and needs a change of pace.

I had to promise to drink only shakes while she was. Here comes the coconut milk....
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #218
Derek Weaver

Jay,
What Dave said. I've not done the V-Diet myself, but the whole "Healthy Solid Meal" aspect is supposed to be a powerful part of the diet.

By only allowing good food choices for solid foods it helps to break the psychological/hedonistic attachment to crap foods.

Not for everyone though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #219
Robert McBee

V-Diet
Day 3

Dave said it well, proposing that the VD acts as a reset button. Thats the effect I'm hoping for anyway.

Concerning coming off and going back to reality, I'm planning on following the transition outlined on the VD forums. Basically add back in a whole food meal every few days until you're totally on real food.
The Zone has me at 4 blocks but I'm tweaking that into 6 PRO, 2 Carb, 14 Fat. One of my big problems has been doing that 4-5 times a day, every day without either skipping meals or just grabbing anything in any amount. I've got time to plan over the next 125 protein shakes...

Sleep - Good/7hrs.
NEPA walking a.m.
Diet - good but had a diet coke
Training - Fair/low energy. waited too long between 'meals', new client training ran long while training partner ran late. not blaming diet, probably just distracted
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #220
Jay Cohen

Reset idea sounds interesting.
Best of luck, hope it works for you.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote