Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #21
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Also for those that did it.....what if any were the "rebound" effects from going back to normal eating? Did you gain the water weight back? Were you able to keep lean?
My experince is the same. I actaully never gained back the "water weight" as I was still on the downslope. I think water weight is overthought. "Water weight" for me is the normal fluctiation from day to day of 2-3 pounds, maybe 5 if it was a salty weekend.

Mike I honestly don't think that 2-3 meals plus 2-3 shakes is better. It think it's worse. That style works for a transition to from fasting to food but for me, it is very difficult to "diet" consisitenly.

I think you can do a PSMF with anyhting, food, shakes whatever.... but... adding varaibles complicates it exponentially. If real food is in the equation, I'd limit it to one meal per day.

Long term, yes, the weight has stayed off and contnued to drop. That is due entirley to the fact that I eat differently now than I did before the diet.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
Mike ODonnell

I'm excited to give this a try....as eating 5-6x a day burns me out...but I could easily put down the shakes.....of course...March 17th right around the corner....so ideal time would be to start right after. Plus trying to put on the lbs now....so at 195ish..13% BF ish....maybe I can get another 5-6lbs on in 2 weeks...eat everything in sight...celebrate my heritage...kill some brain cells.....and then hammer off the fat for 4 weeks without losing muscle....that I would love to see....as my BF has never been below 9% in the last few years.

I'm also wondering if my 2 expresso's a day is a good enough supplement of a fat burner...I've done the fat burners long ago...not a big fan...plus caffeine is part of the fat burning stack too.....so I can handle it in smaller doses like expresso.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
Dave Van Skike

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I'm excited to give this a try....as eating 5-6x a day burns me out...but I could easily put down the shakes.....of course...March 17th right around the corner....so ideal time would be to start right after. Plus trying to put on the lbs now....so at 195ish..13% BF ish....maybe I can get another 5-6lbs on in 2 weeks...eat everything in sight...celebrate my heritage...kill some brain cells.....and then hammer off the fat for 4 weeks without losing muscle....that I would love to see....as my BF has never been below 9% in the last few years.
It would be interesting to see your results. I know this diet was "invented" by a lean guy trying to get super lean, which is where it seems like you are.

I have seen a lot of positive results form chubby guys getting to medium or like DJ chubby to lean. I'd like to see some accounts of the latter that I can trust. Seems like everyone posting over at t-bag is at 4-5% body fat already. But then I'm skepitical like that.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
Ron Nelson

In my e-mail to Dan I asked if it was worth it to give the V-Diet a try for a week, just to see if I could handle it. His reply?

As Yoda said, "There is no try, there is just do or don't do."

Something like that. Nonetheless, it has stuck in my mind since then. It's only 28 days. February blew through like nothing. In that time, I could have lost 20+ pounds and finally lowered my BF to around 12% (I'm closer to 20-22% now). I must have that lack of choice or I will go off. That's why Atkins worked so well for me. Eat protein; screw the carbs. Now, the body has adapted to that. Time to change.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
In my e-mail to Dan I asked if it was worth it to give the V-Diet a try for a week, just to see if I could handle it. His reply?

Something like that. Nonetheless, it has stuck in my mind since then. It's only 28 days. February blew through like nothing. In that time, I could have lost 20+ pounds and finally lowered my BF to around 12% (I'm closer to 20-22% now). I must have that lack of choice or I will go off. That's why Atkins worked so well for me. Eat protein; screw the carbs. Now, the body has adapted to that. Time to change.

If you can make a week you can make two... so just wing it and go for 3, most of the fat loss is on week two anyway so you'll want to gut it out for four weeks. By the time you get to four you'll think you can eat like that the rest of your life. Then it's time to add food back in, slowly. I'd say for it's 4 weeks of ON, then 4 weeks of transition at least. Plan 8 weeks to change your belly for good.

log your progress. take a before pic (whether you post it on t-bag is your call.)
Old 02-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #26
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
If you can make a week you can make two... so just wing it and go for 3, most of the fat loss is on week two anyway so you'll want to gut it out for four weeks. By the time you get to four you'll think you can eat like that the rest of your life. Then it's time to add food back in, slowly. I'd say for it's 4 weeks of ON, then 4 weeks of transition at least. Plan 8 weeks to change your belly for good.

log your progress. take a before pic (whether you post it on t-bag is your call.)
T-bag. Genius.

If I post pics, which I am loathe to do, it would be here, but only after I finish. No one should have to bear the sight of my gut.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post

You're killing me Ron:

Luke: Alright, I'll give it a try.
Yoda: No, try not. Do...or do not there is no try.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #28
Jamila Bey

NOTES FROM A GIRL WHO DID (a knockoff of) THE V-DIET

Hot-Rox turned me manic. I am sensitive to artificial sweeteners and the Metabolic Drive shake gave me... "internal issues." My marriage would not have lasted had I not made the following mods.

I found a whole food shake www.ultimatelife.com that my hubby once used to lose 60 pounds and used it instead. Took BCAAs, a prenatal sup for the lady health, fish oil, calcium and ZMA.

In one week, I lost 12 pounds. In two weeks I lost 15 pounds. In three weeks I lost 22 pounds and almost all of my lovely lady lumps. Bought smaller bras and got pissed and started eating whole foods again. (I didn't have much to spare in the first place!)

Lost 2 more pounds. Under 200 for the first time in nearly 3 years and feeling fantastic. ***Coach Dan John*** this is since I've last seen you!!!

Now playing defensive tackle and worried about what weight I should be... every practice I lose 2 pounds even thought I'm back on a sensible eating plan for life.

I actually should lose another 25-40 pounds or so. We'll see.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #29
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
You're killing me Ron:

Luke: Alright, I'll give it a try.
Yoda: No, try not. Do...or do not there is no try.
I only saw that episode about 5 times. Plus, Dan quoted it correctly to me. . .I think. I deleted the e-mail.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #30
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila Bey View Post
NOTES FROM A GIRL WHO DID (a knockoff of) THE V-DIET.
I actually should lose another 25-40 pounds or so. We'll see.
Jamila, does this mean you are still doing it? Or have you created some other version that you are doing daily now?