Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Recipes

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Brian M Smith

Default Polish Pork Chops

did a search and yielded nothing... found this recipe searching for info on the polish weightlifting program, its pretty amazing. I guess strongman Mariusz Pudzianowski is a big fan as well.

Ingredients
6 bone-in pork chops (I like my chops 3/4- to 1-inch thick)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 large yellow onion, roughly diced
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 jar or bag (32 oz) sauerkraut
1 bottle (12 oz) lager beer
4 or 5 medium red potatoes, cut into eighths
1 tablespoon juniper berries, coarsely chopped or crushed
4 ounces salt pork, trimmed of rind and cut into matchstick-sized pieces (I used bacon instead)

Preparation

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place salt pork in a non-reactive dutch oven or stew pot over medium low heat and gently render fat until lardons are browned. Remove to a bowl and reserve.
Generously season chops with salt and pepper and brown in batches in rendered fat over medium high heat. Remove chops to a plate as browned.
Reduce heat to medium, add diced onion, and saute until lightly browned. Remove onions to the bowl containing the pork lardons, add juniper and lipton soup mix and mix thoroughly.
Add 1/2 cup of beer to pot and deglaze, scraping up browned bits. Remove pot from heat.
Add 1 cup kraut (including juice) to pot. Place two chops on kraut and arrange 1/3 of potatoes around chops. Sprinkle in 1/3 of onion mixture. Repeat layering ending with final 1 cup of kraut on top. Add all juices from chops, onions, and kraut juice. Add remaining beer and, if necessary, water to bring liquid level just to the top of the kraut.
Return pot to stove and bring to boil over high heat. Cover tightly, place in preheated oven, and cook for one hour or until chops are tender and falling off the bone.
This is essentially a one-dish meal, but some good rye or pumpernickle bread for sopping up the broth is highly recommended. Also, homemade stewed apples are a traditional as well as delicious side dish.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Brian M Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
John Alston

Sounds awesome. Every Xmas I look forward to making bigos with my mom. This is the kind of stuff Poles know how to do right.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Brian M Smith

Nice! Do you have any good recipes for bigos?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
John Alston

Oh man I don't have it here and can't do it all from memory...the recipe is such a nice mix of everything you want in winter. Something like...
Around 1lb each of boneless pork shoulder, smoked pork (butt if possible), beef (chuck or stew beef
1/2 lb of bacon, 1/2 lb of kielbasa
Maybe 1lb of sauerkraut, and there's also fresh green cabbage, and fresh mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, seasoning include the usual and some caraway seeds, bay leaf ... basic cut into pieces and brown the meats - prob in the bacon, and not the smoked meat, remove, cook the cabbage some, later add most of the rest, the kielbasa towards the end otherwise it overpowers everything else. There's a lot of recipes online, the best usually being something like "my grandma's bigos" of course. This example looks pretty good http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/387982 though we never used wine or the prunes, and we add smoked pork, which I like. It's a worthy journey.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Arien Malec

My theory is that pork and cabbage is a cultural universal. Well, not for cultures that don't eat pork. But for everyone else...

The Pole in me wants to make bigos now now now!!
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Brian M Smith

thanks John, will have to make that soon!

Conveniently, I also own a smoker