Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Kelly White

Default Homemade atlas stones

I would like to try to make an atlas stone. It looks like a great workout that can kick your ass very fast.

Any one made one?

This looks sweet but a lot of work, any other ideas? I think I need to keep it around 150lbs, as I have no Idea how much I could lift with a stone.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...ld_how-to.html
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly White View Post
I would like to try to make an atlas stone. It looks like a great workout that can kick your ass very fast.

Any one made one?

This looks sweet but a lot of work, any other ideas? I think I need to keep it around 150lbs, as I have no Idea how much I could lift with a stone.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...ld_how-to.html
i used a mold and have made several. never gone the homemade mold route and I suspect is could be a disaster until you get it dialed in. I'd suggest starting with another type of odd object and seeing how you like it. a tight sand bag or a keg filled with water and then sand will get you used to odd object lifting. I have a little 250 pound keg in my yard that I like. A 150 pound stone if you've never lifted one is a surprise.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Kelly;

Check out: http://www.slatershardware.com/

Good stuff, great guys.

Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Kelly White

Those prices dont seem to bad. It would take me about that much to make one plus a big mess.

What size would your recomend. I see you can make a couple of different weights with foam inserts or lead.

My deadlift max is around 375. Squat to ground is about 250.

The keg or other object would be very easy for me, but I want to leave in my backyard playground area, and I dont think I could pull off the keg in the back yard without getting slapped by my wife.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Those prices dont seem to bad. It would take me about that much to make one plus a big mess.

What size would your recomend. I see you can make a couple of different weights with foam inserts or lead.

My deadlift max is around 375. Squat to ground is about 250.

The keg or other object would be very easy for me, but I want to leave in my backyard playground area, and I dont think I could pull off the keg in the back yard without getting slapped by my wife.
the foam core is trickier than it sounds, adding weights is easy, larger stones are also easier for people with longer arms.

once you have it down you'll want a bigger one so i'd probably go 17 or 18 and try the foam core.

if your wife objects to a keg what makes you think that a concrete ball will be better? no that there is anyhting wrong with concrete balls in your yard, I have a couple right now including a big nasty 420 that belongs to a friend.

alternativley, you can get a little shed or waterproof box to put your toys in.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Keep it covered with a trashbag or something. When I kept my bumpers outdoors, I had them sitting on a milk crate (to keep them off the ground), and covered with a flipped trash can (to keep the rain off). Anything similar, just to hide the look of a keg, would do.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Jacob Rowell

I'll second the slaters stone molds. Haven't used them, but used many stones that we're made at home using the slaters molds. If you're patient, they seem to come out great.

I've got a tight sandbag at 200#, as well as a 160 and 200# keg. I find all of them harder to manage than stones of similar weight, so it's certainly an alternative if you can't get around to making stones right now. Damn 200# keg blows my mind - I can't seem to do anything with it other than pick it up and walk with it!

Like Dave said, bigger stones do seem to feel better if you have longer arms, at least for the pick. The 315 at the gym I go to is a little larger than the average stone, and actually feels more comfortable with my 6'2" frame.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Dave Van Skike

seriously, unless your competeting in SM, sand bag and keg are better tools I think, more versatile and harder at the same weight. 300 pound stone is heavy if you're little guy like me...a 250 pound sand bag is heavy and Nasty..
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
seriously, unless your competeting in SM, sand bag and keg are better tools I think, more versatile and harder at the same weight. 300 pound stone is heavy if you're little guy like me...a 250 pound sand bag is heavy and Nasty..
True, true, but they dont give you the awesome stone rash that makes your arms look awesome, lol.....kegs and sandbags are definitely harder/ versatile, but no where near as fun, imo
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Kelly White

Old follow up, but I ended up making a "stone" out of a polyform boat fender/buoy. You can get them free if you are around the coast, because they tend to melt in the sun making them un-usable for nice boats after a few years of use.

Pretty cheap on ebay too. They have all sizes from 15" to retarted big.

I cut a small 2 sided flap in the top to pour the concrete (I actually used "precision grout" I think it is heaver than concrete) drilled about 50 holes in the fender for drainage and filled up half way with concrete, added about 80lbs of chain and then topped off with concrete. The outer material makes it easier to pickup (good or bad) and it took about 1 hour to make.

Small ones may be cool to throw, due to the fact that they are very grippy.

I think I have the A-2, second smallest. New it is 32$polyform
It shows 8.2 gallons of space. Concrete is about 18lbs/gallon i think, so with the chain it is about 225lbs.

Pretty cheap way to get a good implement.

The picture is a big ass one, not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polyball.jpg (40.9 KB, 7 views)