Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Default Wrist Strain

My wrists are very tight and get pretty sore by the end of an O lifting workout. Are there any wrist bands that would help (maybe by warming the joint)? Or is it just a matter of developing better flexibility?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Tight and sore as in the wrist flexors? Or the joints themselves (e.g. carpals) are hurting?

Warming up the joint well before training is important. Just move those things around in every possible way you can imagine a bunch (that's my scientific approach). Once warm, stretch the flexors thoroughly. During your training, you can keep stretching, moving and shaking out the wrists between sets. If you decide to wear bands, for now stick with loose-ish ones that simply are there to keep the joint warm. Avoid taping or support bands unless absolutely necessary (and even then, see if you can save them for lifting 85-90% and up loads) because that can start sending problems down to the elbows and shoulders.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

well, everything is sore! But I'm focused more on the wrist joint where it ends up hurting after the workout on the outside of the wrist just below where the hand starts. To be more precise, if my right palm is down, then it hurts on the right side of the arm just before the hand flares out. If I push on that spot, there is a bit of soreness. And rotating the wrist leads to a dull pain (nothing sharp).

I'm wondering whether a neoprene wrist band would just help keep it warm and circulating blood.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

more stretching...there is a good pic in starting strength(I think) of pushing a pipe/pole into a squat bar in order to stretch the wrists down...I am not explaining it well....but I think CF once had a pic to of how to stretch the wrists.

has to do with all your cathing in the O lifts....going to get some tendonitis there I am sure after a while.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Yep, I do the stretching and it helps but there is still wear and tear. I guess there's no magic solution (put Capsicum on my wrist and I won't feel the pain, huh).
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Rick Deckart
Banned

Try the following Elliot,

I heard of at least on precussion musicer and a numbers juggler doing the following before and after practice:
  • Before: use a bucket with water as hot as you can stand. Soak your hands in it as deep as it fits and wiggle your fingers for up to a minute or longer if you can stand it. Now pull each finger gentle at first and more rigourous later. Your fingers will probably start to knack, it's okay. Let your arm hang and slowly start shaking them. Then lift arms arms perpendicular to the ground and angle your elbows 90 degree: think of youself as a young frigate bird and shake your arms, wrist and hands like wings till they are completely loose (sounds crazy but worked for Ricky Jay and me too...). Don't rush to it, extend the arms overhead and repeat in a forward backward motion. Flatter and shake them till they are completely loose and well circulated.
  • After: use a bucket with ice water and put your hands inside for a minute or two, wait a couple of minutes and repeat. This will likely hurt like hell but it does help.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. I know the shaking part sounds ehm strange but it does work for me. It's my usual warmup before I start some serious juggling or card throwing. The hot water bucket is easy to test, simply do only one hand and see if it makes a difference...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Allen Yeh

Elliot,

Band traction is somethign else to try if you have some elastic bands. I jammed my wrist somehow when I was messing around with cleans last week and it hurt pretty consistently through various things such as burpees/pushups. Yesterday after seeing Steve Shafleys band traction vid for the knee I tried that out and then did my shoulders/wrists/elbows as well. This morning pushups weren't painful anymore. *shrugs* Hope this helps.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

if you're catching/supporting your cleans with your arms instead of your shoulders, it's common to get that pain in the part of the wrist as you describe. get the load off your hands!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 02-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

Actually, I think you're right Greg. It just takes so long for my shoulders/wrists to warm up to allow it. I generally have to keep my pinkies off the bar. Any tips on how to follow your advice?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

Well... practice! Aside from that, try some muscle cleans. the slower speed may allow you to concentrate more on getting the elbows around and up quickly, releasing the hands and delivering the bar smoothly to your shoulders.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal