Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Craig Brown

Default Psoas

So, after a good long while I have narrowed down my low back/hip/leg pain to my Psoas. That's a weird and tricky trigger point to get to! using the trigger point as well as the 'squat therapy, I am as good 36 hours after as I have ever been.

My question is geared towards getting past this- I've had it happen hefting boxes, deadlifting, and now squatting. Anyone else have this, and if so, how did you get beyond the re-injury phase? I think it's triggered by letting off ham/glute tension during lifts, so I will drill the shit out of that as I work back in to weight, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Hello Craig,

Yes, I had a psoas trigger point problem. I thought I was going to have to stop squatting. I had a massage person do one major release of it and several follow-ups.

I think the squatting motion (weighted back squats in particular, deads didn't matter) seemed to cause it. I don't know why that affects the hip flexors so much, perhaps the tightness on the adductors (or is it abductors, whatever is on the inside).

Now, I still don't stretch like I should, but not slouching in a chair after heavy squats is a very important. If I'm on top of it, I do the samson stretch among others. I still will get "ghost pain" when I first wake up occasionally, but nothing serious and it doesn't seem to last once I get up and move around.

I haven't had it happen with odd lifting (like boxes)...that is a PITA. And considering it is very difficult to release the psoas yourself, it is more of a hassle to tune it up since you probably need to see someone.

I guess you could get the Trigger Point Therapy Manual and try to do it yourself, but who knows.

I'm going through the rolfing sequence and hope that will solve all sorts of crap, we'll see.

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Do more lunges
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Samson stretch/splits/deep lunges should help stretch it out... maybe release it if it's just a bit tight.

Otherwise, having someone dig in is probably best.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Craig Brown

Wow, many weeks later, this crops up- cool!

The lunges seem to help. Basically for the last year I've had just vicious levels of trouble with my right leg, hip, sciatica, psoas- all different times, usually triggered by squatting. The trigger point book has been a huge help. Currently recovering from SI joint fuck-up- that one is unpleasant! Not sure what the root cause is with all this, and tired of getting floored every couple of months. See what happens in the long term.

Thanks for the input-

Craig
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
Mark Bennett

Craig,

Interesting, I have a very similar problem with my right hip, and have had it for many years. Sciatica down that side, very tight psoas, SI joint pain, lower back pain and lack of mobility in the hip etc. Over the years I have seen just about every kind of therapist out there, and no one has been able to help much with this. I have also tried stretching, mobility training, trigger points the list goes on, again with little success. In my case itís hard to think that this is all caused by a tight psoas and I keep coming to the conclusion that something else must cause the psoas to tighten. I am starting to think that my problems are caused by my hip being out of alignment, may be caused by a SI joint problem.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with this, and what makes your condition worsen?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Justin Deardorff
This message has been deleted by Justin Deardorff.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Hey Justin,

That's good to hear. Do you think you can give the drills?

The most common ones I've seen are:

1. clams (lay on your side and pick up the outside leg (bent))
2. bad dog (on hands and knees and acting like you will pee on a fire hydrant)
3. bridges (either single or double leg)

Others?

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Howard: There's a bunch you can do with the wall obviously. Just google it if ya need any better ones.

If you need some resistance just add it with the clams by adding a thigh weight or a theraband or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Foot drills and single-leg DLs and pistols. Lots of hip flexor stretching, preferably in a PNF manner. Nothing done to failure that aggravates this issue until the issue is resolved.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Justin Deardorff
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Just got back from some amazing Active release therapy that hugely improved an ancient(nagging) psoas/hip flexor/inguinal ligament injury. It's pretty common to have SI joint issues with psoas problems. Good advice in this thread,also diligent ,focused core work will help and as mentionned PNF stretching. The psoas is fairly easily released when adequately addressed, find someone good.
Also "pigeon "type PNF stretches and other hip opening work can help.
In 11years of pro bodywork I found that an easy 80%of clients low back problems had heavy psoas involvement . One of the best things you can do for your psoas health is not sit down for long periods...throw away that desk chair!

Justin, YNWA.
Thomas Bailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Justin Deardorff