Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Derek Weaver

Default Derek's Garage Experiment

So I decided to join in over here and keep a training log. This should be my longest post in this log, so don't worry that if you stop by that you'll be reading a novel each time.

A little primer. In the spirit of Gant's hybrid threads, I took up the endeavor for myself. The problem was that I reached a point of over reaching very quickly, as the last 4 or 5 weeks I have been nursing an achy right hip.

This time I am going with a semi-MEBB, semi-hybrid approach in that I'm working one "core" lift per day/3 days per week with heavy, short metcons 3-4 days/week. The main lifts for the next 4 weeks are: hang cleans, front squats, rack jerks.

the "template" will be a work in progress, so please, comment, constructively criticize or criticize non-constructively, so long as it helps the learning curve.

For today, 8/11/2008:
Hang Clean 5-5-5-5-5
95 lbs
115 lbs.
Grip was a big factor. 155 was about 2 lbs. shy of body weight. I had more in the tank in terms of strength, but I'm going to need to add in a fair amount of grip work.

Good news though, 155 is a PR as I've never gone for a ME hang clean or 5rm hang clean. PRs are easy to set when it's a first go round.

Metcon was kind of like Heavy Fran, but not:
5- 135 lb. thrusters
5- 35 lb. weighted pull ups\
5 rounds/time.

Pretty weak 9.30. The hang cleans taxed me more metabolically than I though. Plus, thrusters are my nemesis, so they shall get plenty of attention in metcons for a while.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Congrats on the PR, onto 160 right?

So far into my own experiment I've found that 5 x 5 with a total body lift like the clean is enough metcon for one day.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

Thanks Allen. I'm sure I have enough in the tank for 160 or more, grip strength is the only factor that'll keep it from happening.

Definitely no more heavy thrusters after a 5x5 hang clean day. If anything a few sprints or maybe a light KB complex.... probably not though.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Tuesday, 8/12/2008
150% (235 lbs.) BW DL + 35 lb. Ring Dip
3 reps of each, on the minute for 10 minutes
then 6 rd. tabata squat = 18
"cool down" with a 1-8 pull up ladder
This one looked a lot like a Gym Jones workout now that I think of it.

I was kind of experimenting today and thus, ended up taking things a little easier on the DL + Ring Dip workout. 235 is fairly light for me on DL's (PR is 385 at a BW of a pound or two above 165 lbs.), but high(er) rep DL workouts like "Diane" have never been my strong suit.

Next time I'll definitely make that more like 1.75 Bodyweight.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Wednesday 8/13

ME Front Squat 5x5 (Now I understand what I've heard on these boards recently about not taking FS's past a heavy triple. Once I got to my biggest weight I was struggling to stay upright.)

195 lbs., well of my 5 rep PR of 215 set in December. Still not bad considering I couldn't squat for the last month or so with a hip issue and had wrecked my ankle back in January and hadn't squatted for almost 6 months because of it.

Metcon: First go 'round with a sledge and a tire. Sledge was light, 9 lbs. Need a bigger one and a bigger tire. Did one minute on, one off, switch sides for 5 rounds.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

8/14- Rest Day
Been fasting in the 15-17 hour neighborhood all week. Up to 15 hours for today and probably won't break it for another hour or two.

32 burpees today. Forgot I am involved in a burpee challenge. That'll probably affect some of my programming as I cross into that 75+ range.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

8/15
ME Jerks
ended at 165 for 5. I seem to have regressed on my jerk form. My Jerk 1 rm is 205 lbs., but today it felt more like a jumping push press. And my push press is just a few pounds lighter than my Jerk pr.

In the next two weeks I may change this to push presses and work the movement of the jerk before adding weight in.

Did a tabata squat + muscle up "fitness test" that I remembered seeing in the CF Demos a while back. Tabata score = 18 (not proud of it) muscle ups in 5 minutes=16.

Not bad on the muscle ups considering I hadn't done any in over 6 months and had an upper body push-centric workout today.

33 burpees, 19 hour fast.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

8/16/2008
Metcon Saturday:
Pulled this one from the CF demos site.
15-12-9-6-3
185 lb. deadlift
Hand stand push up
vertical jump
The deads and jumps were easy, but after the jerks and muscle ups yesterday I had nothing on the hspu's. Banged out the first 12 and then blew up quite nicely doing doubles and singles pretty much the rest of the way.

Live and learn.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

8/18
ME Hang Clean 3-3-3-3-3
finished at 175, hit all three reps. I guess I am happy, tough grip is going to be a limiting factor. Most of the metcon work I am doing is involving grip work (deads, weighted pull ups)... need to do more.

Then did 30 muscle ups, not for time, just wanted some ring work.
For some reason I decided to do max KB swings (1.5 pood) in 7 minutes, I think I got this one from Coach Rut's site. 173 reps and I am fried.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

8/19/2008
Metcon: "Fran"-1:15 into it my pull up bar snapped (it's a lot like the again faster pull up bar, but the lashing straps gave). I was on pace for my first ever sub 4:00 Fran too.

I'm not sure which hurt more, slamming into the concrete of my garage on my back from the pull up bar, or not getting that sub 4:00 Fran.

I made up for it with 115 lb. sumo deadlift high pull and push press 15-12-9 in 7 minutes and change.

I was a little more shaken up than I thought after that spill. At least it happened fast and I got away with a couple of bruises and no breaks.