Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Rafael Susigan

Default Work Capacity / WOd - Periodized too

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rafael Susigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Ben Moskowitz

If I am reading this correctly, the question is how best to program the metcons within the context of a structured strength program?

I am not sure of the answer, but I think looking at the resources you mentioned, this article by Greg Everett on "Plandomization," and perhaps the Wichita Falls crossfit program (?) or the Gorilla Pit would be helpful. I guess the most relevant paragraph from the Plandomization article is

Quote:
This is exactly how I approach the CrossFit programming at Catalyst Athletics. I can tell you exactly what strength work our CrossFitters will be doing six Tuesdays from now, but I can’t tell you what metCon they’ll be doing that day yet. I plan seven-week strength cycles, but I plan each week’s metCons the week prior. When creating these metCons, I consider the strength workout on the same day and the rest of the week, the other metCons that week, and the metCons from prior weeks, along with the weaknesses and strengths I see in our clients. Based on this information, I have goals for them, both short- and long-term, and I create workouts and workout series to accomplish these goals. In other words, while the metCons are constantly varied, they’re by no means random.
I hope this helps.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Most WODs are autoregulated to some extent, anyway.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Rafael Susigan
This message has been deleted by Rafael Susigan.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Darren Reed

Default baseline tests

We use "baseline" workouts which we revisit at various times in the year for various reasons. We block periodize (structured to emphasise different factors at different times of year) to a large extent so we may use our "endurance" focused test during a strength block to see if guys have dropped off in that area significantly (they almost never do), we may use it during its sister phase in order to see how far we have progressed etc. End of the day, this is a bit of science, but also a bit of art. We like having some broad metrics to use as in-house comparisons though, even if it is just for our own "gee whiz" amusement. I think they are helpful.
Darren Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

In my opinion...

If you're training for strength or power, your conditioning (if you do it) should be modest, mostly low and moderate intensity, and complement your strength program.

If you're training for GPP, you should do your strength and power movements first, and your conditioning should be a mix of low, moderate, and high intensity, depending on where you are in your program (wave, block, etc.; if you're doing linear with lots of conditioning, do 3 weeks on, 1 week deload). Your conditioning should complement your strength program.

If you're training for an event or sport, your conditioning should be appropriate to whatever you're doing. And no, cf.com is not appropriate.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Darren Reed

Default hallelujah

as per gant, figure out what your goals are
Darren Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Andrew Wilson
Banned

All you got to do is just pick whatever movements you want to do in the "metcon", schedule the reps descending down for each month for whatever period of time you want to 3RM. And add 3% to each weight each sesson:
First 4 weeks, whatever exercises in a "metcon" circuit for 21 reps at 61% 1RM, each new session progressively add 3% to the weight.
Second 4 weeks, whatever exercises in a circuit for 15 reps at 69% 1RM, each new session progressively add 3% to the weight.
Third 4 weeks, whatever exercises in a circuit for 9 reps at 79% 1RM, each new session progressively add 3% to the weight.
Forth 4 weeks, whatever exercises in a circuit for 3 reps at 92% 1RM, each new session progressively add 3% to the weight.
Fifth week go for 1RM

how people haven't figured this out yet blows my mind. CrossFit won't do it because they have to sell the idea that they have this super secret method and secretly know more than every person with actual educations in sports science and they don't want to copy them the legit people, or they simply don't know how to actually program for people, which is obvious...
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Heh saw someone doing thrusters at the gym yesterday, my wrists were aching just watching him. Thrusters don't do a FS any justice and they don't make help your press...so what is the point exactly?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Rafael Susigan
This message has been deleted by Rafael Susigan.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Susigan View Post
thanks Guys.

Andrew you can show more information about this type of programinhg or text - article.
Yeah sure, I'll have to find it. Mainly just Conjugate Sequence by Dr Verkhoshansky, he and Dr Mel Siff talk about it in both their books. Verk's "Special Strength Training a Coaches Manual" and Siff's "Supertraining". My idea is simply use the theoretical 1RM chart every olympic weightlifting gym has, which Siff also has the formula for in Supertraining. Basically predicts 1RM for any submax weight performed at multi reps. Yearly, pick out your competition or ending period, break it down in 8 months, decending back in time. First 4 months will be general preparation phase where low intensity (lower percentage of 1RM) and high volume (high reps) "metcon"/circuit training takes place. Then transitions into the next 4 months, the special preparation & competitive phase, where gradual increase in intensity and special strength training means take place. Special strength training would be where olympic weightlifting or plyometrics or complex method or 90%+ 1RM would be the main focus, not "metcons". Sprint sessions would replace "metcons" or circuit training, being that "metcons" are partial metabolic efforts of sprints. The whole metcon concept is bullshit anyways considering every physical activity is metabolic, and repeated over time is conditioning. Fran for instance is half the metabolic leg effort of a 600-800m maximal sprint but it just has arm exercises with external resistance that just makes it difficult.

So using the chart:
2RM~95%
3RM~92.5%
4RM~90%
5RM~87.5%
6RM~85%
8RM~80%
9RM~77.5%
10RM~75%
15RM~70%
20RM~62.5%
21RM~60%
25RM~57.5%

Just as a crude example:
Month 1: "metcon" all weight with 57.5% of 1RM, 25reps, 3 rounds, then add 3-5% per session for progression, exercises only performed twice a week with 2-3days in between. ie: "thruster" only on tuesday & friday, deadlift only on monday & thursday
Month 2: "metcon" all weight with 62.5% of New Tested 1RM, 20reps, 3 rounds, then add 3-5% per session for progression, exercises only performed twice a week with 2-3days in between
Month 3: "metcon: all weight with 70% of New Tested 1RM, 15reps, 3 rounds, then add 3-5% per session for progression, exercises only performed twice a week with 2-3days in between
Month 4: "metcon"all weight with 75% of New Tested 1RM, 10reps, 3 rounds, then add 3-5% per session for progression, exercises only performed twice a week with 2-3days in between
Month 5: whatever sprint session with 8RM strength training with power snatches, power cleans
Month 6: whatever sprint session with 6RM strength training with 85% snatches & cleans
Month 7: whatever sprint session with 4RM strength training with 90% snatches, cleans
Month 8: whatever sprint session with Special Strength Training such as Complex Method, or Depth Jumps, or 1RM-3RM Olympic lifting
Month 9: continuation of Month 8 if needed

then special strength training ends ten days prior to competition
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote