Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #991
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #992
Steven Madison

Yeah, Aushion doesn't DRINK Kool-Aid, he gets in via IV:

"If this were a triathlon website and we had an "injury" forum, how many knee pain/achilles tendon issues would we have...my guess is someone would say about 100 of each on the injury forum and my triathlete facebook friends..."

Correct Aushion, because we all know that a tight IT band or sore achilles tendons are exactly the same as Rhabdo (which can KILL YOU) and a SLAP tear which at the very least puts you on the shelf after a very costly surgery and lengthy rehab.
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #993
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Persson View Post
I actually believe I will steal that for my sig. Amazing.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #994
Geoffrey Thompson

He's missing that every sport has some chronic overuse issues to be wary of. Mostly tendinitis. Occasionally, somebody will blow something out (say, a football player tearing an ACL when he gets tackled, a powerlifter tearing a pec on a limit attempt, etc) and it's kind of intrinsic to the sport, you just have to take some precautions against it. As long as you bench heavy, you risk blowing something out, and as long as you're getting tackled, you risk getting destroyed. CF is different: nobody should ever get rhabdo. I suppose you could argue that SLAP tears are more like the "occasional blowing something out" that just happens and is intrinsic to the sport, you just have to take precautions against it, but given that we have a good idea about movements that cause it and know that they can be eliminated without doing violence to the very concept of CF, I think it's a very good idea to bring up the SLAP tears. I mean, eliminate a couple SLAP-happy movements and the rate of SLAP tears plummets - I'd be willing to take a few shots of gin to say it in a loquacious way if that helps my case.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #995
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Yeah ya'll are precisely right. Rhabdo seems to be talked about so much its becoming down played; its a life threatening condition with permanent damage to the kidneys and may lead to acute kidney failure; 1 case is enough. If it weren't for modern medicine these people would be dead. Other people that get rhabdo are victims of earthquakes, bombings, body crushings, electric shock, and hyperthermia. That can't be compared to tendinitis, shin splints, and chondromalacia. Prevention of ACL tears and such in sports are actually sought out for the athletes with prehab, s&c, etc and rules of the sport are adjusted; you don't see that with CrossFit. CrossFit continually "programs" rhabdo inducing workouts, makes them a benchmark. Unfortunately the only thing thats going to change it, sense there is NOT a quality control with CrossFit, whether it be the workouts or the trainers, the only thing thats going to change it is when someone dies. Not everyone has a 30 minute emergency room away from them.

It took what 5 cases to write an article in the CrossFit Journal about it? 100 more cases posted on the internet seems to have no baring in the effort towards stopping it.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #996
Justin Z. Smith

http://www.wwaytv3.com/video/2011/02...-fitness-craze

Any funny comments yet?

Justin
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #998
Matt Matijevich

wow. You can just feel the protein working.

and world record box jump can do 3 wods a day.
Matt Matijevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #999
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #1000
Steve Shafley

Ah, Progenex. They switched from a more complex blend of protein when Connoly was in charge to whey concentrate afterwards.

And then got super pissy when this was pointed out, and when they charged the same amount for the product when the cost was reduced by an estimated 80%.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Rafael Susigan
This message has been deleted by Rafael Susigan.