Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #1021
Arien Malec

CJ is slipping. The best stuff undercut GGism with utter sincerity. This is just too obvious.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #1022
Steve Shafley

Quote:
Rhabdo takes 6 days of intensive medical care day and night in a hospital, SLAP tears cost what, a $20,000 surgery bill
Good point.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #1023
Tom Seryak

Speaking of SLAP tears:

Monday 110228

Hang power snatch 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Tuesday 110301

"McCluskey"

Three rounds of:
9 Muscle-ups
15 Burpee pull-ups
21 Pull-ups
Run 800 meters

If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

Wednesday 110302

Three rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
75 pound Squat snatch, 15 reps
9 Handstand push-ups

of course, the explanation for the WOD "programming" will be that one day is heavy, one day is "gymnastics" and one day is light. whatever happened to the WOD "programming" videos? i would like to see the explanation for this "cycle". life punishes those who allow their bodies to recover?
Tom Seryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #1024
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'd likely guess that the "super DOMS" e.g. swollen areas of the body without clinical rhabdo (e.g. brown urine from myoglobin) is likely at least 5x higher than the actual cases of rhabdo.

Creatine kinase levels in "super DOMS" are easily elevated above 10k which is a general marker for releasing someone from the hospital after rhabdo. Hell, any intense exercise elevates CK levels drastically so that's not just CF.

Likewise, I would estimate the actual cases of rhabdo that are never reported are probably at least 3x+ higher than the ones on FB/CF boards.

Of course, I have nothing to back this up except my considerably high amounts of replying to posts both on message boards, facebook, and to people IRL so take that for what it's worth I guess.

I mean hell OPT pretty much almost killed himself. The CF Games are just insanely high volume it's kinda dumb. Much worse than MP except people do MP for months and years, and come from non-athletic backgrounds which can actually be worse.

Something that is disturbing that I have rarely ever seen talked about is the fact that certain meds like statins increase risk of rhabdo........ but you never see ANYONE (not just CF trainers... all trainers really) ask that before having someone exercise. With all the docs that put people on statins nowadays it's very very very very risky....

It's probably best if gyms had a full patient history that they had to fill out before allowing people to exercise, and to educate their trainers on certain contraindications. All I've ever seen on most gyms waiver forms are like do you have any heart problems or asthma... clearly not the best screening process ever.

Last edited by Steven Low : 03-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #1025
Cyril Sack

what you're all failing to remember is that Coach has got the SCIENCE BY ITS BALLS
Cyril Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #1026
John P. Walsh

Wow. The Kool-Aid certainly went sour over here! There was a time when comments were dumped for for these sorts of heresies.
John P. Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #1027
Steven Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I stand behind my personal performance and satisfaction with the program. It works for me and many others that I have been personally associated with in Crossfit.
Isn't that kind of the rub here though? You aren't actually DOING crossfit. You do 5/3/1 and add in metcons and some oly practice.
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #1028
Robert Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I stand behind my personal performance and satisfaction with the program. It works for me and many others that I have been personally associated with in Crossfit.
Yes but is what you did Crossfit?

I seem to remember you adding in periodized strength training = Not Crossfit
I believe you said you took rest days/weeks = Not Crossfit
Havn't you been focusing on the Olympic lifts and skill work? = Not Crossfit

Thankfully Greg Glassman has been very clear with his definitions:

Crossfit is:
"Constantly Varied, Functional Movements, Executed at High Intensity"

in order to achieve:
"Work Capacity Across Broad Time and Modal Domains"

We cannot just start calling all well thought out training Crossfit. That would be a fallacy and grossly misleading. Maybe Crossfit introduced you to the principles that lead you to the training you do now, that is true of myself, but that DOES NOT make all your future training Crossfit.

I think this is the fundamental idea causing discrepancy in this discussion.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1029
Garrett Smith

Reminds me of the old "I'm a vegetarian, but I have chicken and fish a couple times a week."
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #1030
Bryan Kemper

Give me a friggin' break. If I call what I do for my training "Crossfit", why does it really matter to people if I do additional strength or Oly lifting, if I enjoy it and it works for me.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote