Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1061
Robert Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post

The program works.
What program Bryan????

If what you do is not CF, how is it relevant to CF's effectiveness as a program??

That has been your only argument thus far, "it has worked well for me" But what if you have not been doing CF? We cannot just call all intelligent programing CF.

As I said long ago in this thread CF has done many good things, most of which involve educating people to different modalities of training and "functional exercise". That is awesome, but that does not make it an effective training program, or justify the millions of dollars HQ is milking in selling people the idea that anything and everything is CF, and that you can be an effective coach after a weekend seminar.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #1062
Garrett Smith

In thinking about GG's music analogy, Bach used the same notes to make his own unique pieces. Those pieces were his, and were documented in the notes written on the pages.

There are several unique exercises used in CF, ones that nearly everyone else deems wise to avoid. That's fine, they can have them.

However, I doubt that a court would defend anything else in CF as being unique to them. GG has said he will "steal" any exercise modality that works for his own purposes. There is no unique equipment to CF. The "definitions" of CF would likely only confuse people not in the exercise world, and doing pseudo-random things would only weaken the case, IMO.

The end is nigh for "real" CF, whatever that is/was. Reebok wants to take it to fitness conferences and clean up the seminar act.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #1063
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. Walsh View Post
Wow. The Kool-Aid certainly went sour over here! There was a time when comments were dumped for for these sorts of heresies.
Funny how that happens isn't it John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walsh View Post
Crossfit is a great fitness program, especially if you are a young competitive athlete. I did the WODís as Rxed for over a year and have been off the WOD for about 6 weeks or so. I went back through my training journal to assess how well this experiment went for me.

On the positive side of my ledger:

I lost fat. I went from a 38 waist to a 34 waist in about 6 months.
I got faster.
I was able to run farther.
My ability to do bodyweight exercises went up.
I learned dozens of new exercises and ways to incorporate them into a routine.
I thought about my diet for the first time ever.

On the negative side:

My strength decreased in all the powerlifts and Olympic lifts.
I was exhausted after just about every workout. Not coincidentally I was sick frequently with colds.
I compromised form for time frequently.
I was racked with soft tissue injuries by the end of the year.

Conclusion:

Well I guess from a cost/benefit analysis I would have to call the year a push. Being hurt and sick this often was not consistent with my goals either was losing strength. In spite of this I think I have gained a lot of knowledge about my own body and itís capabilities. For example I never thought I could ever do 20 pushups but it was pretty simple to obtain although not easy.

On the other hand I have come to the conclusion that I donít handle high rep multi joint lifts very well. Iíve lifted for years but most of my soft tissue injuries came from high rep multi-joint lifts like the clean and deadlift. It doesnít matter that the weight was light. Form always breaks down after about 5 reps for me. This is where injury creeps in. I even noticed that the form got sloppy with the CF gods on the DVD. At 40 I canít get way with that like I used to.

I have also come to the conclusion that exhaustion, puking and DOMS are signs that I am not training properly. Being old school I always concluded that more pain meant more gain. Not true. Over the years I have known several guys that played/play in the NBA and NFL. I trained with a few and have watched many others train. I never saw them on the ground gasping for air after training. They saved that for competition.

An old high school classmate of mine used to play BB for the Miami Heat. I showed him one of the ďgirlsĒ once and his comment was that it looked great if your goal was to get tired. He asked me to name a few NBA/NFL/MLB guys that used CF. I couldnít but I never really inquired either. His point was that if this was such a superior training protocol why wouldnít the highest paid athletes in the world use it? Once again I was at a loss.

My gut still says this is a great protocol for competitive athletes. Maybe things need to be tailored a bit for specific athletic goals and I have heard many examples of this from posters on this site.

Presently

Currently Iím approaching the end of a 6 week cycle on Pavelís PTP along with doing Bikramís yoga (I know, I know), trigger point therapy and a bi-weekly sports massage. Most of my soft tissue injuries are gone or feeling much better. I sleep better and have more energy. My deadlift is solid and I have learned a lot more about technique and high tension lifting. I could never hit an unassisted muscle up while doing CF. I nailed five in a rest pause fashion on Tuesday even though I hadnít tried one in months. I have lost several pounds even though I am not running or doing all the high rep stuff and my wife has commented that I look more vascular. Go figure.

Future

My plans are to stick with what I am doing until I fail to see results. I might try a CF cycle modified to meet my goals. I think I have learned enough to approach things differently and still think it can produce results without all the injuries.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=2998

Then you heard about the 700lb deadlift and couldn't help yourself.

You here pimping the new blog or looking for your UFO?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #1064
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Check out the replies, the kool aid potency on the messageboards in 2005 was premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Greene
1. I would not be looking to any basketball, football, or baseball players for advice on fitness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wolf
4- Regarding the Professional athletes and CF: Many professional athletes smoke crack, drink, eat a terrible diet and still perform better than 99.99% of us. That does not validate or invalidate their S&C, it just means they are good. CF will make its way into professional circles it will just take time.
(oh no Rob!!!)
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #1065
James Evans

Andrew - if you have time on your hands and haven't already done so take a look through the Testimonial section. You'll see a lot of people blinded by the light.

By the way, I commend Bryan for defending something he believes in outside the confines of the CF boards. A lot of people here (and Walshy was getting at this obviously) have swigged from Glassman's gin bottle.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #1066
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Yeah I'm going to take a look now that you've mentioned it, never looked in there before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walsh
Is Crossfit a cult? Let’s put it to the test.

Q: Does the group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law?

A: Yes

Q: Are questioning, doubt, and dissent discouraged or even punished.

A: Yes.

Q: Are mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader?

A: No.

Q: Does the leadership dictate, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth)?

Q: Is the group elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity)?

A: Yes, most definitely.

Q: Does the group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society?

Q: Does the leadership induce feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion?

Q: Does subservience to the leader or group require members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group?

Q: Is the group preoccupied with bringing in new members?

Q: Is the group is preoccupied with making money?
A: Somewhat.

Q: Are members expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities?

Q: Are members encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

Do the most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group? Do they believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
Hey John

What do you conclude?

Leon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walsh
What do I conclude? A fool and his money are soon parted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts
I conclude that Mr Walsh only shows up about once every 6 months and takes a crap on CrossFit.
Banned

"Interesting Google Trend"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley
Crossfit searches vs searches for Dan John

http://www.google.com/trends?q=cross...&geo=all&date= all

(Message edited)
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper
Not entirely sure the point, but it's worth noting crossfit.com is a website, and danjohn.com is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burnett
That's a pretty cool little toy! Got to love google. I think maybe Steve is trying to stir the pot a little, eh?

Hey Barry, "crossfit.com is a website, and danjohn.com is not."

That IS interesting! There is a danjohn.org, though.

And, HERE's some fun obscure internet trivia for you--the ".org" top domain level has always been generally recognized for community oriented, non-profit types of sites whereas ".com"'s were originally for commercial enterprises. Isn't that interesting?! Now it seems like everyone is a .com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Boose
Off to Pukie's Bucket in 21,18,15........

Great laughs
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #1067
Pat McElhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
The end is nigh for "real" CF, whatever that is/was. Reebok wants to take it to fitness conferences and clean up the seminar act.
For the record, I think the end happened in at the end of 2009. I do not say this to be a "fan boy" of Robb Wolf or Greg Everett, but what happened at the black box summit was the end.

I think mainpage went bad around the end of 2007, early 2008. The increasing programming of Hero WODs, which are really just metabolic beat downs, the scaling up of weight, 275lbs deadlifts for reps?,etc. all are examples of things provided little positive adaptation for the incurred stress.

Per James Evans, I drank from the up too.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #1068
James Evans

Barry Cooper - wonder where he is now?

Forging Elite Pomposity no doubt.

For classic Barry, see his thread on Fist Fighting.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #1069
Steven Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Barry Cooper - wonder where he is now?

Forging Elite Pomposity no doubt.

For classic Barry, see his thread on Fist Fighting.
Barry left the womb soon after the incident at the Black Box Summit. Not sure why.
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #1070
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
Barry left the womb soon after the incident at the Black Box Summit. Not sure why.
Mr. Cooper mustered a brave defense of the medicine ball clean even after the Black Box Summit. It was analogous to Custer's last stand.
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53464
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote