Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #1121
Steven Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I may be, but in what I have provided in prior posts as to my program, when have stepped away from that definition? When exactly can someone repeat a backsquat or other movement?
I'm going to end my portion of this argument with you with a check mate:

If you do 5/3/1 which includes daily, weekly, planned out periodized schedules (which by definition are NOT constantly varied) AND you do it by the book, which includes DELOAD weeks (NOT PERFORMED AT HIGH INTENSITY), then my dim friend, you are not @Fitting.

Great article which I'm sure you haven't read:

http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...p?articleID=53
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #1122
Shane Skowron

Quote:
I may be, but in what I have provided in prior posts as to my program, when have stepped away from that definition? When exactly can someone repeat a backsquat or other movement?
Why don't you tell us?

If you say it doesn't matter, then everything becomes Crossfit.
If you give a specific timeframe, then you're going into periodization.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #1123
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
I'm going to end my portion of this argument with you with a check mate:

If you do 5/3/1 which includes daily, weekly, planned out periodized schedules (which by definition are NOT constantly varied) AND you do it by the book, which includes DELOAD weeks (NOT PERFORMED AT HIGH INTENSITY), then my dim friend, you are not @Fitting.

Great article which I'm sure you haven't read:

http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...p?articleID=53
Yes, but I also do other Crossfit-style met-con work in addition to the 531 lifting deload week. So, even though I am lifting lighter that week, it still does not negate out the high-intensity due to the met-con work. I lift because I enjoy lifting. Before Crossfit, I would not have made that statement.

Steven, my also dim-witted friend, you will not convince me of what I am doing and what I am not.

You do not know what I have and had not read, so thank you very much for the article. I have indeed read the article some time ago. Good points contained within.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #1124
Robert Callahan

Quote:
Since I obviously have no clue as to what I am doing (insert appropriate sarcasm level), please give me the definition of "doing Crossfit.". When is adding strength with a periodized schedule running afoul of the dogma? If do more than 3 on, 1 off, am I committing a sin? If I wish to improve Oly lifts to compete soon (ie learn and play sports), when does that run afoul?
Have you read a single one of my replies? I will attach them below for you, with the part that is most important for you to read bold and underlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Yes but is what you did Crossfit?

I seem to remember you adding in periodized strength training = Not Crossfit
I believe you said you took rest days/weeks = Not Crossfit
Havn't you been focusing on the Olympic lifts and skill work? = Not Crossfit

Thankfully Greg Glassman has been very clear with his definitions:

Crossfit is:
"Constantly Varied, Functional Movements, Executed at High Intensity"

in order to achieve:
"Work Capacity Across Broad Time and Modal Domains"

We cannot just start calling all well thought out training Crossfit. That would be a fallacy and grossly misleading. Maybe Crossfit introduced you to the principles that lead you to the training you do now, that is true of myself, but that DOES NOT make all your future training Crossfit.

I think this is the fundamental idea causing discrepancy in this discussion.

Quote:
What program Bryan????

If what you do is not CF, how is it relevant to CF's effectiveness as a program??

That has been your only argument thus far, "it has worked well for me" But what if you have not been doing CF? We cannot just call all intelligent programing CF.

As I said long ago in this thread CF has done many good things, most of which involve educating people to different modalities of training and "functional exercise". That is awesome, but that does not make it an effective training program, or justify the millions of dollars HQ is milking in selling people the idea that anything and everything is CF, and that you can be an effective coach after a weekend seminar.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #1125
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Have you read a single one of my replies? I will attach them below for you, with the part that is most important for you to read bold and underlined.
But what does it really matter in the big scheme of things? I am not trying proselytize or convert anyone. Do the program that you what to do that works for you. I came to PMenu and CA as an adjunct to expand my fitness knowledge. Then I found this lovely thread. I believe in the Crossfit methodology and honestly believe that I what is in fact Crossfit-style training. If you don't like my label, then frickin' deal with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #1126
Steven Madison

Quote:
So, even though I am lifting lighter that week, it still does not negate out the high-intensity due to the met-con work.
*sigh* You've jumped the shark.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #1127
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
*sigh* You've jumped the shark.
Explain. Enlighten. Educate.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #1128
Robert Callahan

Quote:
But what does it really matter in the big scheme of things? I am not trying proselytize or convert anyone. Do the program that you what to do that works for you. I came to PMenu and CA as an adjunct to expand my fitness knowledge. Then I found this lovely thread. I believe in the Crossfit methodology and honestly believe that I what is in fact Crossfit-style training. If you don't like my label, then frickin' deal with it.
Do the program that works for you.

That is the perfect mentality and what I think most (if not all) posters in this thread have said. No one has tried to proselytize or convert anyone to anything.

What most of this thread has been is discussion of a particular "training methodology" and its ability to achieve the goals it sets out to accomplish.

You have ventured to defend this "training methodology" of your own free will, and I (nor anyone else I hope) begrudges you for doing so as differing view points allows for better discussion. The problem though is that your defense is that this "training methodology" works for you. But upon inspection, you do not prescribe to said "training methodology".

Hopefully you can understand how this would be less than useful in this discussion?

If you don't agree, fine! Do whatever training you like, and call it whatever you want, no one here gives a rats ass. But if you want to engage in discussion of training methodology and effectiveness then you better have something more to contribute than the fact that you do something antithetical to the principles you are trying to defend.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #1129
Steven Madison

Quote:
What exactly is "Crossfit-style" training? Anyway,

This won't work, but I'll map it out redneck style for you:

I wander into a Dodge hot rod forum on the internet because I see them bashing my beloved Ford. We go round and round about which stock platform is best at making fast cars. The Dodge purists won't budge and I won't either -- the stock Ford is the best and my mediocre race results prove it (to me).

That is until one of the Dodge purists finds some posts of mine in a Chevy forum wanting to know how I can make my Ford better by mixing the base model with superior pieces from other car companies.

All this time I was arguing for the purity of the Ford and singing it's praises claiming my hot rod was 100% Ford, when in reality it was 25% Ford and the best, most tried and true hot rod parts on it were from other time-tested, reliable manufacturers.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #1130
Tom Seryak

Quote:
Explain. Enlighten. Educate.
means you are ruining wendler's deload week by not deloading (ie doing high intensity crossfit metcons when you are supposed to be allowing your body a week of rejuvination).

how 'bout this for a definition of xfit:

i don't know how to program to meet a training goal, so i will constantly vary movements allowing for no progression...

...i don't know how to distinguish the difference between training and testing, so i will do all of my workouts at (implied) max intensity because "intensity is where it's at!"
Tom Seryak is offline   Reply With Quote