Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #2331
Corey Kissel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 76
Default

He also talks about the people he has "backing up his solid sceintific ground" by referring to the individuals according to their credentials, "PhD, scientists, engineers, rocket scientists - people that have published extensively in the scientific community"

Does he not ridicule EVERYONE that isn't xfit about referring to their degrees as being meaningless and constantly rip apart peer-review, aside from no one on the staff having any credentials in the strength/conditioning realm - this is what makes me the most upset. It's fine if they use it to support their argument, but not vice versa.
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #2332
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
I'm literally watching this inbetween reading a chapter on explosive strength training Verk's new book, and all I can do is shake my head and cover my eyes. This will not end well, he's going to lose all that power.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #2333
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
He also talks about the people he has "backing up his solid sceintific ground" by referring to the individuals according to their credentials, "PhD, scientists, engineers, rocket scientists - people that have published extensively in the scientific community"

Does he not ridicule EVERYONE that isn't xfit about referring to their degrees as being meaningless and constantly rip apart peer-review, aside from no one on the staff having any credentials in the strength/conditioning realm - this is what makes me the most upset. It's fine if they use it to support their argument, but not vice versa.
Ya he completely contradicts himself all the time.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #2334
Corey Kissel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Ya he completely contradicts himself all the time. He's such a dumbass. You watch that video and he just reaks with a superiority complex.
Hahaha, absolutely...and what's the name of the new book the most recent one I have of his is Special Strength Training Manual for Coaches
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #2335
Steven Madison
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
Good luck with that Knowshon. A 200lb every down tailback? Those are few and far between. Funny the newscaster lady said he didn't want to slim down, but he did.

Must of been the zone.
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #2336
Shane Skowron
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
He also talks about the people he has "backing up his solid sceintific ground" by referring to the individuals according to their credentials, "PhD, scientists, engineers, rocket scientists - people that have published extensively in the scientific community"

Does he not ridicule EVERYONE that isn't xfit about referring to their degrees as being meaningless and constantly rip apart peer-review, aside from no one on the staff having any credentials in the strength/conditioning realm - this is what makes me the most upset. It's fine if they use it to support their argument, but not vice versa.
I still can't figure out what an electrical engineer has to do with fitness...

That would be like a software company saying "we've got an extensive team of painters, ballerinas, and guitarists, all of whom are highly respected, backing us up."
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #2337
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
Hahaha, absolutely...and what's the name of the new book the most recent one I have of his is Special Strength Training Manual for Coaches
Its that one. The 2nd edition just released, completely different from the first edition, way more explanation in this one with case studies.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #2338
Corey Kissel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
Good luck with that Knowshon. A 200lb every down tailback? Those are few and far between. Funny the newscaster lady said he didn't want to slim down, but he did.

Must of been the zone.
haha yeah i'm thinking so, he didn't want to lose weight but xfit/diet made him. Sounds like sum1 wasn't programming for HIS goals.
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #2339
Corey Kissel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I still can't figure out what an electrical engineer has to do with fitness...

That would be like a software company saying "we've got an extensive team of painters, ballerinas, and guitarists, all of whom are highly respected, backing us up."
Ha! Perfect analogy, and I seriously kept wondering why he has brought this up in the past, he often talks about their Framingham study trumping and there was a xfit games episode with data from FUGE sciences presenting some of the numbers but it was HARDLY useful for anything (they were seeing if there was a weight favored for xfit athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Its that one. The 2nd edition just released, completely different from the first edition, way more explanation in this one with case studies.
That is an awesome book. I bought it about two months ago off of Joel Jameson's site 8 weeks out and it is literally one of the best works he's put together.
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #2340
Daniel Dean
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
Good luck with that Knowshon. A 200lb every down tailback? Those are few and far between. Funny the newscaster lady said he didn't want to slim down, but he did.

Must of been the zone.
They made a quick reference to him cutting way back on carbs right before the end of the clip. Why the hell would you have a guy like that eating low carb?
Daniel Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator