Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #2671
Colin Starrett

Probably the biggest key to CF's success is convincing people that if they exercise hard enough, they can call it training.
Colin Starrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #2672
Darryl Shaw

Separated at birth.....

"Bring out the gimp!"

Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #2673
michael campi

Default One of the better xfit gyms

hey guys,
I used to work out with Team Crossfit Academy and while I don't know the injury profile there the head coach, Eric, pays a lot of attention to safety and form issues and will not let you do anything stupid if he is there to keep you in line. They are still a tad deluded as regards the kool-aid but overall a pretty sound gym.
michael campi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #2674
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post

"I have not done CrossFit training for almost two weeks now. If feels very strange to not be in pain all the time. Creepy."

"Workout: This is where you go to a 'gym' and do some exercising. There may or may not be some people around that you can hire that have taken a few or a lot of weekend classes that give them a protocol around generalized fitness training. My ex decided to become a personal trainer and did a 3 weekend course, and ding~ was a personal trainer. There are no real goals set and no real specific path to reach those goals. The workouts are usually set into a pattern and you just repeat that pattern over and over...forever. "

"...CrossFit. The people that train you have gone through years of training with the most scientifically educated fitness coaches and trainers in the world...."

"You don't get to become a coach unless you go through a certification program which takes years, and you have to establish proficiency in everything you are going to be teaching."

"These people are trained in safety first, so you don't get hurt..."

"Everything is geared towards highly effective training with a high focus on safety first. "

"In gyms you often see people on with braces and taping, etc, because they are constantly hurting themselves. You don't see that at CrossFit. "

"Most of my pain is from a build up of lactic acid in the muscles from all this stuff ... we are taught at CrossFit to reduce all that. "

"There have been a few studies released ... (crossfit) will REVERSE heart disease. CrossFit will. It actually REVERSES heart disease. So if you are healthy enough, there is nothing better to restore your heart issues. "

The above quotes suggest a need for an intervention.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #2675
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post

Separated at birth.....

"Bring out the gimp!"

hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Did ya'll hear, Georges St Pierre does Crossfit religiously.

We need to ask BJ why he quit doing Crossfit.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #2676
Jason Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael campi View Post
hey guys,
I used to work out with Team Crossfit Academy and while I don't know the injury profile there the head coach, Eric, pays a lot of attention to safety and form issues and will not let you do anything stupid if he is there to keep you in line. They are still a tad deluded as regards the kool-aid but overall a pretty sound gym.
Hey, no one's saying there aren't CF affiliates that do their shit right, but kool-aid boy in those quotes was claiming that CROSSFIT AS A WHOLE did those things, which is just downright false. I have no idea whether said CF affiliate's trainers have years and years of experience, but the vast majority of CF trainers sure don't.
Jason Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #2677
David Hardy

Quote:
"...CrossFit. The people that train you have gone through years of training with the most scientifically educated fitness coaches and trainers in the world...."
Or alternatively;

Quote:
"...CrossFit. The people that train you have stayed awake through at least part of a weekend certification process"
In other news, just watched a thrilling 5000m final at the Athletics championships (last lap done in 52.87). Watching people exercise just doesn't compare.
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #2678
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hardy View Post
Or alternatively;

In other news, just watched a thrilling 5000m final at the Athletics championships (last lap done in 52.87). Watching people exercise just doesn't compare.
Watch it this morning. i n c r e d i b l e. What a dog fight. http://youtu.be/zADioxgD4EQ Run 4600m, then a 52" at the end. W O W
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2679
David Hardy

So pleased for Farah, watching him narrowly miss out on the gold in the 10k was heartbreaking.

Watching this also reminds me of that diatribe that our friend Bmac went on about the failure of periodization, as evidenced by the lack of PB's at major championships. When you see such a cagey, tactical race you realise though why they don't go all out from the start; when there's so much at stake, you chase the gold (and the glory) not the PB.
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #2680
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hardy View Post
So pleased for Farah, watching him narrowly miss out on the gold in the 10k was heartbreaking.

Watching this also reminds me of that diatribe that our friend Bmac went on about the failure of periodization, as evidenced by the lack of PB's at major championships. When you see such a cagey, tactical race you realise though why they don't go all out from the start; when there's so much at stake, you chase the gold (and the glory) not the PB.
Absolutely. Lagat was boxed in the end, hell of a save of his behalf. That 10k loss was brutal to watch. He was throwing down, shear grit!