Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #2771
Steven Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Want do I do then? Please educate me.
are you still doing 5/3/1 ?
Steven Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #2772
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
That's outstanding.
However, you are aware that its a bear trap, no?
Please explain.

I have read your training log on the CF boards. You weren't doing the program, so I understand that you did not get the results that you were looking for.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #2773
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Madison View Post
are you still doing 5/3/1 ?
BHCF programming and Oly lifting.

Quit making assumptions.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #2774
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Please explain.
You're aware that its a bear trap. That its set up to draw you in, there is rhabdomyolysis, there are SLAP tears, there are achilles ruptures, yet you still step into it. I'm curious to why that is. Why do Crossfitters, when the creator openly admits that the workouts can kill you, still do it?
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #2775
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
You're aware that its a bear trap. That its set up to draw you in, yet there is rhabdomyolysis, there are SLAP tears, there are achilles ruptures, yet you still step into it. I'm curious to why that is. Why do Crossfitters, when the creator openly admits that the workouts can kill you, still do it?
You can get Rhabdo from anything. I know a person that got Rhabdo from a Spinning class. Before I do any workout that would have a chance at inducing rhabdo, ie high rep GHDs situps, I will have conditioned myself to a point where it won't be a risk. That is where a responsible trainer comes into play, or if you are training on your own, a personal level of education and responsibility factors in. Never done 150 GHD situps in a WOD before, check out the Brand-X forum for scaling tips. They might just say something about scaling if you are not experienced with the movement in question.

Injuries can happen. I could rupture an achille's tenden hiking, but is that going to stop me from hiking. Again, I go back to one has to pay attention to thier bodies and perform appropriately.

I try to stay away from this discussion because I don't like the general attitude. I come back to Catalyst Athletics and Performance Menu because I like Greg Everett's approach to Oly lifting. When I come to this discussion it is like rubbernecking at a horrific accident. You get drawn into it.

Now please answer a question for me....

What is the obsessive compulsive fascination with scouring the internet, Facebook, etc for any and all reference to injuries? You would have people believe that every gym is filled with injury statistics. Have you ever considered the number of injury-free, healthy individuals that do Crossfit every day?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #2776
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
You can get Rhabdo from anything. I know a person that got Rhabdo from a Spinning class.
Do you know 236 of them?

Quote:
Before I do any workout that would have a chance at inducing rhabdo, ie high rep GHDs situps, I will have conditioned myself to a point where it won't be a risk.
Many rhabdo-ers never had that chance, I wonder why?

Quote:
That is where a responsible trainer comes into play, or if you are training on your own, a personal level of education and responsibility factors in. Never done 150 GHD situps in a WOD before, check out the Brand-X forum for scaling tips. They might just say something about scaling if you are not experienced with the movement in question.
I believe I have

Quote:
Injuries can happen. I could rupture an achille's tenden hiking, but is that going to stop me from hiking. Again, I go back to one has to pay attention to thier bodies and perform appropriately.
But if you knew that the exact same spot on the exact same path, with the exact same height and distance, ruptured achilles exactly the same way, over and over and over again. Would you still go hiking on that spot? This isn't an issue about performing appropriately or pay attention to bodies, (well it may be) its an issue of complete ignorance and perscribing it. You seemed to be confused with chance versus predictability.

Quote:
I try to stay away from this discussion because I don't like the general attitude.
Bryan you don't like the discussion because you have a massive ego and denial issues and this discussion spikes it.

Quote:
What is the obsessive compulsive fascination with scouring the internet, Facebook, etc for any and all reference to injuries? You would have people believe that every gym is filled with injury statistics. Have you ever considered the number of injury-free, healthy individuals that do Crossfit every day?
What you haven't figured this out after 280 pages? Because its snake oil, its jeopardizing peoples health with a foundation of nonsense , unnessary risks and extreme approaches. I almost became one of these rhabdo-ers myself, so on that behalf, someone has to do something about it. My friend, if you've seen what I've seen, as in the amount of abuse most of the clients have gone through, that I haven't posted, you'd quickly delete that last sentence. Its also hilarious and entertaining, should slip that in.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #2777
Arien Malec

Bryan -- here's the short version:

1) Crossfit as a workout approach (meaning: mainsite and variants) creates an unnecessary amount of serious injury risk for the fitness benefit it creates
2) There are much better workout approaches for the target populations of
a) People just trying to get fit and
b) LEO
3) Crossfit as an organization is vile and engages is vicious character assassination (Dan John, Robb, Greg, Mark Twight, etc, etc.).
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #2778
John Warkala

Radcliffe's rhabdo story doesn't surprise me. What I find most disturbing is that a 21 year old, 185 lb. Infantry officer can only bench press 200 lbs and deadlift 315.
John Warkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #2779
Steve Shafley

Nah, those bastards have to carry shit long distances and kill people. Max strength is necessary only up to a certain point.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2780
John Warkala

Quote:
Sarcasm is really lost on you. Not being complementary.
Actually you may have been;

com·ple·men·ta·ryAdjective/ˌkämpləˈment(ə)rē/
1. Completing; forming a complement.
2. (of two or more different things) Combining in such a way as to enhance or emphasize each other's qualities.

You certainly combine to enhance Andrew's position.
John Warkala is offline   Reply With Quote