Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #421
Brian DeGennaro

I have to say, there are some good quotes in the latest Journal video...
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #422
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #423
Brian DeGennaro

I could tell Speal was holding back on giving Castro a piece of his mind...
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #424
Pat McElhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
A Fran's effort can be easily matched with a 800m to 1000m maximal sprint, if no one believes that, you're not running hard enough.
This is true. I would also say, if you do not believe that, you are not being honest with yourself.

Andrew, keep up the good work.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #425
Steve Shafley

CrossfitHQ actually seem to know less about training the longer they keep at it.

An interesting phenomenon, but not entirely unexpected.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #426
Justin Z. Smith

You CANNOT beat the elite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russ_camdave_2.jpg (26.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg stupidpullup.jpg (28.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg boxjump1.jpg (34.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg tuesday (4).jpg (44.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg n540638311_2280668_2313263.jpg (50.8 KB, 22 views)
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #427
Justin Z. Smith

Look at that perfect Glassman squat. Dan John has got nothing on him!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good_sq.jpg (58.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg CrossFit.jpg (67.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 30736_431675190449_594830449_6150837_4787980_n.jpg (80.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ShoulderToAnkle.jpg (91.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg boobknee2.jpg (77.3 KB, 39 views)
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #428
raj rihal

This is an interesting thread. Found my way here via the 'injuries' section of the @Fit website (thanks steven low for the feedback and encouragement). Im recovering from pec tear surgery at the moment and have been researching and reading quite a bit. I dont want to hijack the flow of hilarity, but figured I would contribute my own experiences which might add something.

I played a multitude of team sports as a kid through HS, tennis in college (D3) and then on to surfing, swimming, cycling, running, climbing, yoga and martial arts. I supplemented all this with consistent strength training and conditioning since my early teens. One of my most influential coaches was ex-military, which probably explains how I ended up at @fit Am I an 'elite' athlete? No. But I'm in no way a novice, and came to @fit with a solid base of strength and conditioning. After 9 months I managed to incur my first major injury in my life.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the dudes that run my local box. Really well intentioned, motivated, encouraging, warm and down to earth people. I will go back there when I recover, but I wont do @fit. After 9 months my conditioning improved a lot, my strength a little, my mental toughness and sense of accomplishment went up, but overall I was toasted. I feel like the @fit methodology has some serious holes. Its too spread out, doesnt address far too many aspects of fitness (lateral movement? agility?) and left me feeling fried far too often. Im now staring down 4 more weeks of complete arm immobility, loss of work/wages, and months of rehab to get back to a baseline I've maintained for 20+ years. I should have known better than to blindly follow programming that I couldnt quite wrap my head around but live and learn I guess. If @fits results are quantified (or qualified, as it seems there aren't any actual studies to verify its effectiveness) by a black box method, I would consider it a fail.
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #429
Darla Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj rihal View Post
This is an interesting thread. Found my way here via the 'injuries' section of the @Fit website (thanks steven low for the feedback and encouragement). Im recovering from pec tear surgery at the moment and have been researching and reading quite a bit. I dont want to hijack the flow of hilarity, but figured I would contribute my own experiences which might add something.

I played a multitude of team sports as a kid through HS, tennis in college (D3) and then on to surfing, swimming, cycling, running, climbing, yoga and martial arts. I supplemented all this with consistent strength training and conditioning since my early teens. One of my most influential coaches was ex-military, which probably explains how I ended up at @fit Am I an 'elite' athlete? No. But I'm in no way a novice, and came to @fit with a solid base of strength and conditioning. After 9 months I managed to incur my first major injury in my life.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the dudes that run my local box. Really well intentioned, motivated, encouraging, warm and down to earth people. I will go back there when I recover, but I wont do @fit. After 9 months my conditioning improved a lot, my strength a little, my mental toughness and sense of accomplishment went up, but overall I was toasted. I feel like the @fit methodology has some serious holes. Its too spread out, doesnt address far too many aspects of fitness (lateral movement? agility?) and left me feeling fried far too often. Im now staring down 4 more weeks of complete arm immobility, loss of work/wages, and months of rehab to get back to a baseline I've maintained for 20+ years. I should have known better than to blindly follow programming that I couldnt quite wrap my head around but live and learn I guess. If @fits results are quantified (or qualified, as it seems there aren't any actual studies to verify its effectiveness) by a black box method, I would consider it a fail.
I am 42 and have been athletic all my life. I have been interval and weight training for almost 20 years and running since high school. I have achieved the strength to perform 100 push ups off and on ( all at once - regular ) and almost 10 dead hang pull ups with a body weight of 160#. I had my first real injury this year after starting CF.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #430
raj rihal

Seems like similar experiences Darla. It was actually your post at @fit that led me here. How is your shoulder?
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote