Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #471
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Should I go see the doc (I'm active duty National Guard, so tri-care will cover any doctor visits or physical therapy... Cost isn't an issue. Also, it would be a civilian doc, so non of the paperwork would find my personnel file, an I likely wouldn't need a profile)
money is the main reason i don't go to the doctor that much. wtf
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #472
Andrew Wilson
Banned

I was just looking for some articles on Franz Stumpfl and ran into this:

CrossFit Endurance and Track and Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy Who Knows 6 months ago
This guy fails more races than he HAS EVER FINISHED! Get off the hype train of Crossfit Endurance, where they will take your money and give you a worthless certification. This man claims he could have made Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps faster, there coaches are useless he claimed. UNREAL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy Who Knows 6 months ago
I just read most of the posts...It is good to see people who are opening their eyes to this and seeing what it really is. I am a trainer and have ran and worked right next to Brian. I have seen him fail because of injury and mystery sickness too many times. Injuries that blow my mind seeing he is supposed to be in great shape. I strength train about 3 days per week, run 5 days per week when training for an ultra race with 2-3 recovery runs, 1 long distance run and a speed workout or hill repeats and I have finished top 8 in my last 4 ultras weighing 160lbs at 6'1". When I see him now he is like "you are so skinny". I am lean and a great weight for long distance running, look up Scott Jurek.

Some speed work will make you faster and strength training is great for recovery too, but saying that will allow you to complete 100 mile races with good success without doing some 30-40 mile runs is plan old stupid. Your body needs to adjust to that and your mind does too. Ultra running and running in general is so much about your mental strength.
I have seen and heard more and more people in Newport getting hurt doing CF, it is crazy. From the top of the business to the 28 yr old girl trying to get fit for her wedding and ending up in the hospital not able to move her ballooned up arms. CRAZY! I dated a girl that tore her biceps tendon after two months of CF and I just found out she is back doing it...You don't get hurt in the weight room, that is defeating the purpose...
Quote:
Mollie D 7 months ago
You would have to be a complete moron to listen to someone who has not (at the very least) attained an advanced degree that applies to sport and exercise physiology and done some clinical research. I am interested to know this person's credentials. Becoming a personal trainer is not very difficult. How does one become a "certified" crossfit trainer?
Maybe you should ask him to do some real research (not anecdotal evidence of one high-schooler), where you have a control group and an experimental group. Test their baseline fitness (if he knows how to conduct a VO2 max test). Have one group do traditional periodized training, while the other does crossfit endurance training, then check back with us in a year and see how it turns out. (In order for this to be valid he is going to need a large enough sample size, etc. He will probably need to enlist some help unless he knows how to conduct a proper experiment.)
I hope flotrack will ask Jack Daniels' opinion on this for his next installment.
Quote:
Victor LeMay 7 months ago
" I'll take my 20:30 5k, the ability to deadlift twice my bodyweight, and my athletic build over your sub 15 5k, chicken arms, and skinny jeans any day. And yes i realize i'm stereotyping distance runners here. Only because you all seem to be so dam closed minded and resistant to the idea that all the training you've been doing and all the miles you've been loggin have been for naught. Can't blame ya for being upset about that, but i wouldn't knock the CF and CFE methods until you've tried em."
Thanks for further proving that CF sucks for endurance training. Your 20:30 5k is the most legitimate piece of evidence we've seen.
Quote:
Joel Adams 7 months ago
I try to keep an open mind about new training ideas but I just flat out disagree with pretty much everything about this interview. If you want to do this, fine, but it's a gimmick and you will be sacrificing long term development. I also think even interviewing this guy is pretty shady and comparing his "work" to the results based training of John Cook is just sacrilege. You don't get better at running by doing heavy squats and bench presses. I can agree that more runners would benefit from strength training and greater stamina but most of what I see on the CF site and it what he says in the interview is made up words and nonsense.
His message is completely skewed and clearly he doesn't understand anything about the sport or periodization. At least p90x doesn't try to shoot down everything about track and distance training that has been proven over the past 100 years. Aerobic work = bad, anaerobic work and heavy lifts = good. End of story?
I think his support for Chris Solinsky makes zero sense. So what if he's muscular? He was also an NCAA Champ, FL Champ and high mileage runner for years before breaking the 10K record. If anything, Solinsky and the HS girl prove the opposite from what he preaches on his site and in the interview.
Also, just saying "if it works for this guy then it has to work for elite athletes" makes no sense for soooo many reasons. Most elite athletes in almost every sport use elements of strength training similar to what is preached in CF but they do it in a structured fashion. There is no "magic plan" that makes you a better runner and helps you improve over time. Unless you mean running alot. Which is not this.
Quote:
7 months ago
If Crossfit creates such great all around fitness, how come none of the top all around athletes in the world (aka: Decathletes) train this way? Ashton Eaton, Bryan Clay, Trey Hardee, Tom Pappas...none of them do.

Or how come none of the crossfit games studs dominate the decathlon?
The bottom line is crossfit brings little new to training. High intensity lifting or circuits have been done for ages. What crossfit does is eliminates the planning or periodizing to get maximum results, thus eliminating progressive long term improvement. In other words, it's not even a good way to get "GPP."

Why does everyone hate on Crossfit?

Quote:
I'm a runner that did crossfit for about 9 months. It was pounded in your head to go at your own pace, choose the proper weight, etc. I tore my rotator cuff doing some ding dong workout but was still able to workout but in some exercises had to use less weight. I chose an 18lb medicine ball instead of 20lbs for wall balls and the instructor made fun of me the entire workout and asked me if I was dedicated or not. If you slow down at all, for any reason the instructor gets in your ass...it was like I disrespected the instructor for not using the prescribed weight. The whole mentality is homoerotic or flat out gay and I got tired of it after a while and got in just as good of shape doing P90X.

Quote:
That tattooed guy is one fat roided up meathead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfitter
The problem with you guys is that you are too influenced by these Kenyan n*****s. Real white men Crossfit.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #473
Geoffrey Thompson

I think this quote pretty much sums up why people in the endurance community hate CFE:
Quote:
Go to this guy's website. Look at some of the interviews he has done. He basically trashes the training regimens of 95% of all serious runners. You are defending a person who has no respect for others' ideas and beliefs. So why should we have respect for him and his ideas?
That and their point that running is a results-driven enterprise (it's very clear who's winning and who's losing) and that traditional methods produce results while CFE produces rhetoric which trashes others' results.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #474
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, this one has been proven by competition, not debate. Over and over and over again.

Quote:
Brian also shared a story with us about a girl named Hallie Kuhlman who is an 8-time state champion in Kansas in the 100, 200, 400, and 800.....she is only a sophomore.
That girl won those events in her freshman and sophomore years of high school. First, she is flat out fast. Second, not even CFE can overcome great genetics. Unfortunately, they have her doing butterfly kipping pullups. Hopefully she's not on the volleyball team.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #475
Andrew Wilson
Banned

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...aster_BMac.mov

Ryan Hall called out by Crossfitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-1500 coach
BTW The "aging" appearance of endurance athletes he is talking about is 98% due to one thing: not wearing sunscreen. Oxidation for sure: of the epidermal layers due to radiation overexposure.
Owned.

Quote:
Though I think the term is ridiculously overuse, that guy is absolutely a douchebag.
Quote:
yes it seems like they have done studies on all the garbage they spew... bunch of idiots..lol
Quote:
The guy is clearly an idiot. All i hear is him talking about how people all over the message boards are talking about their improvements. Here is the problem, improvements don't really mean anything without knowing where the starting point was. It's easy to pr if you've never trained before. What I'd like to see is someone who has trained at a high level for several years, switched, and improved their results. This obviously hasn't happened, or we would have heard about it, and it won't happen, because he's an idiot.
Quote:
The injury forum on the crossfit website is a testimony to the crossfit method of training.
Quote:
The dude in that video is a f***ing nutjob.
Quote:
Is a crossfitter a stylish cross-dresser?
Quote:
Crossfit is a f***ing joke.
Quote:
I just saw this thread and was intrigued, but apparently I had it wrong. I thought it said Ryan Hall was called out by a crossDRESSER
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #476
Andrew Wilson
Banned

I just crossfitted my way to a 5k PR

Quote:
I just crossfitted my way to a 5k PR, running only 10 miles week. Good luck with your 100 mile weeks. I hope it pays off for ya.
Quote:
did you break 22?

Quote:
And your still a tool...
Quote:
Your training obviously sucked then, almost as bad as your PR.
Quote:
Yeah, that guy's ultra running résumé is pretty damn unimpressive. I mean, it would be good if he wasn't trying to brag about it, but Western States in nearly 27 hours? Come on. You've got to be under 24 hours to be worth a damn. It's nice that he can lift heavy weights and complete an ultra, but if he thinks he's got the answer and could make you GOOD at running, he's full of it.
Quote:
Whats up with the woodsy the owl tatoo on MackENzie

How can you listen to someone dumb enough to get a tatoo that bad and large.
Quote:
What a tool.

Why brag about an 11+ hour IM race on a fast IM course? Maybe he should have run, biked, and swum a little more--then he might've broken...11:00
Quote:
I ran 16:30 in high school, and never ran more than 20 miles per week. Oh, and I was backsquatting more than 350 my freshman year. Brian Mackenzie is puss.
Quote:
Great. I had trouble breaking 19:00 for a while in XC, then I got into 10th grade and ran 16:40.
Quote:
exactly. And you're right, they act as if the mackenzie dude was doing something amazing at western states. He was over ELEVEN hours behind the course record!
Quote:
Lol I googled the results for his most recent race: 2007 Angeles Crest his 27:39 compared to 19:39 is like the same as running 18:20 to a 13:00

That's ok I guess I don't know if I could run ~18:00 if I weighed 200lbs!

The I saw who nipped him at the line:

33 Honey Albrecht (F) 48 Glendale AZ 27:39:08 1st 40+(F)

A 48 year old woman...no offense to her that badass, but seriously.

Maybe he should ask "Honey" for some tips for his next race, or see what she can "back squat".
Quote:
He calls out Ryan Hall in one video. He makes claims that go against our basic understanding of Physiology.

Crossfit says it's based on science to some degree but if you know any science at all, you'll laugh at the explanations of their workouts.

There are plenty of studies that show the volume of running contributes to performance. There are aslo studies that show that the amount of EASY running in training explained performance over 5k-10k better than any other variable among well trained runneers.
Quote:
where are all of these elite record breaking crossfitters?

oh they don't exist!

Crossfit makes lots claims with no proof of creating not a single elite athlete.
Quote:
Just look at the crossfit forum when they post results when the workout of the day is a 5K, which they are supposed to run as fast as possible. Not many results < 22 min.
Quote:
A speed walker could achieve the results this clown brags about in the ultra races.
Quote:
this guy has no credentials whatsoever and is the most unimpressive endurance athlete in the world. he actually has no idea what he is talking about. he has never heard of a study that says it is necessary to run, in order to run fast and far. how about jack daniels running formula? how about the fact that its not working for him?
Quote:
Wally Haywood - 100 mile in 12H 20min 28sec in 1953

Cross Fit Chump - 100 mile in ~26-27H. 2-3 hours than TWICE as SLOW. Pathetic.
Quote:
In browsing the crossfit forum, my favorite post and it sums up crossfit nicely, is this one:

http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/fo....php?f=2&t=523

It sums up crossfit nicely. Some guy who is on pace for around 3:50 or so for the marathon, and then goes on and on about how they summoned up all the toughness that they went through in their crossfit workouts.

And they died to a 4:13, and probably have a stress fracture...yet they think it was a success...

I guess all that mental toughness couldn't combat physiology (i.e. glycogen depletion from not training right...) or biomechanics (Crossfit losers use POSE) or the simple principle of adaptation (you got your stress fracture because you never adapted to the repeated pounding which makes bones stronger...)

Wow, I wish I could call a marathon where I missed my (slow) goal time, and got a stress fracture a success....the mindset is amazing.
Quote:

http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/fo....php?f=2&t=523

"Perhaps even more importantly , Paula and I spent the next two hours in the taxi que preaching Crossfit and gaining converts! Some in Boston , Oklahoma City and elsewhere!"

Guy runs a slow marathon and gets injuried(possible foot stress fracture) following this dopey protocal, and still is preaching it is the best way to train.

Crossfitters are f*** tarded.
Quote:
more like, " I b!tchfitted my way to a PR"
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #477
raj rihal

another shoulder

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64438
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #478
Geoffrey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I think these are very important things to keep in mind, because CF makes very specific claims about two very "pure" sports which are very objectively results driven: endurance sports and strength sports. I think the endurance sports angle is even more important to bring up because strength sports have such a "genetic freak" angle to them that it's kind of hard to tell sometimes what a legitimately "good" performance is. With running, however, it's very easy tell, it's very well researched, and it's very clear what a world-class training program will have to look like (hint: it involves a lot of running).
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #479
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
BTW The "aging" appearance of endurance athletes he is talking about is 98% due to one thing: not wearing sunscreen. Oxidation for sure: of the epidermal layers due to radiation overexposure.
Oh but they've got that covered. They use their magical Waterman's Sunscreen.
http://watermansappliedscience.com/blog/?p=3062

and it goes along with his magical water too
http://aquahydrate.com/athletes/brian.php

That water makes you eleeet!
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #480
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj rihal View Post
Quote:
I dont know if its comforting or disturbing that there are so many threads on shoulder injuries...

anyways, i am dealing with a left shoulder issue. pain is located at front and side of shoulder and pain is present mainly during and kind of lateral arm raise, doing the wall slide stretch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k2kqyzz3Ug i think this is it) or kipping pullups, primarily when i go through the 'open' phase and my head is through my arms.
Quote:
do you know anything about burpees causing shoulder issues? i am on day 51 of the 100 burpee challenge and one person doing it with me has to drop out because of shoulder pain... then i read on another thread where someone's shoulder issues were pushed over the edge from doing lots of burpees... any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.